Gransnet forums

News & politics

Samantha Cameron talks about son's death to promote her business?!

(48 Posts)
JessM Sat 18-Feb-17 17:53:36

Extraordinary thing to do. Very sorry that her disabled son died. And I felt sorry for her when, just a year later, her husband became PM. And then when she was very pregnant and was dragged off to Cornwall to play happy family holidays (despite presumably having had a problem during the birth of their son), and gave birth prematurely away from her usual consultant. (Why not go to Chequers I wondered?)
I also felt sorry for her when he announced he was "on paternity leave" and then called a cabinet meeting in their kitchen and invited the press. (or was that when he was leader of the opposition? I can't find a link).
However talking to a newspaper about her son dying to promote her "clothing line" ???
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39014189

Ana Sat 18-Feb-17 18:02:06

I think youre nit-picking JessM.

Yes, she was speaking to The Times magazine to promote her new clothing line, but presumably there was a lot more to the content of the article than what she said about Ivan. Which could of course have been in response to a question by the interviewer.

Ana Sat 18-Feb-17 18:02:49

Oops - missed out the ' in you're

GillT57 Sat 18-Feb-17 18:04:28

It annoys me when a 'celebrity' or wife of one suddenly decides to become a designer. It is grossly unfair to those without the connections that people like Mrs Cameron have, people who have paid for a very expensive degree course, worked as unpaid interns for monstrous tax dodgers like Vivienne Westwood. They have to work really hard and are unlikely to get the coverage that SamCam will with their connections in the press ( soon see coverage of her new line in the Murdoch press soon I expect).

Iam64 Sat 18-Feb-17 18:07:30

I can only comment on the bbc link because I couldn't access the Times article without paying. From the bbc link, it seemed to me that Samantha Cameron was responding to questions about life at number 10. She could of course have refused to talk about Ivan's death or the fact she was a busy mother as well as the PM's wife during that period. I can't recall the figures but I recall there is a higher level of marital breakdown amongst parents who were bereaved by the loss of a child. I wonder if SC would be damned if she did and also if she didn't, talk about Ivan.

kittylester Sat 18-Feb-17 18:11:46

I agree Iam. It must loom very large in her life!

Iam64 Sat 18-Feb-17 18:11:54

x posted there with Ana and GillT57.

Luckygirl Sat 18-Feb-17 18:51:36

It did not look like a hard sell, but as though she was answering a question from the interviewer.

POGS Sat 18-Feb-17 18:54:41

Jess M

Your link to the BBC gave me no reason for the title of your thread:-

"Samantha Cameron talks about son's death to promote her business?! "

What did she say that connects the 2 points you raised. Other than the ' timing ' of the publication of the article?.

You must have read something that has caused you to take such a ' strong line ' of thought and I am interested to know as your thread title is very 'pointed' shall I say.

rosesarered Sat 18-Feb-17 18:56:24

How can anybody put such a damning slant on an interview as the OP on this thread.I hope that Samantha Cameron never ever looks at Gransnet!

mumofmadboys Sat 18-Feb-17 19:01:10

It must be the single biggest hurt in Sam's life and it will have shaped much about her since. I imagine any interview with her may well touch on it.

Ankers Sat 18-Feb-17 19:04:52

That is how interviews go.

A friend of the family got interviewed for a regional newspaper concerning his business, and I couldnt believe the size of the article!

To fill in all that space, half his life history was in there! And yes that most definitely included details about his children etc.

Jayanna9040 Sat 18-Feb-17 19:08:08

And perhaps on how the bedroom tax and the fitness for work assessments impacted on people with disabilities and their carers?

Grannyben Sat 18-Feb-17 19:17:09

I'm sure it really wasn't as stated in this headline. Surely all parents talk about their children and particularly those who have lost a child. I'm no fan of David Cameron but I don't believe Samantha has used any of her children to further her business

Ana Sat 18-Feb-17 19:20:40

The headline of the BBC artice was Samantha Cameron: Son's death 'overshadows everything'.

MawBroon Sat 18-Feb-17 19:27:44

I have got to disagree with OP.
I have read the article and no, she does not use Ivan's death to promote her business and no she is not a "celebrity wife" but a talented woman on her own right
The only references to Ivan were 1) an oblique reference in the name if her business, "The name Cefinn comes from.a mixture of her children's initials" (names not given and 2) a factual mention of Ivan by the journalist saying that " her eldest died aged six in 2009, he suffered from cerebral palsy and severe epilepsy. "
She is not cashing in on the Cameron name, the venture is mostly self funded(OK her own family are not short of a bob or two ) and she does have family connections with fashion, sister is a deputy editor of Vogue, aunt used to work for Jasper Conran andd her mother founded the interiors company OKA.
So I think we can cut Sam Cam a little slack here, don't you?

MawBroon Sat 18-Feb-17 19:29:09

Sorry, I should have said it was The Sunday Tines article I read, not the BBC so if that is otherwise, I apologise.

Deedaa Sat 18-Feb-17 19:46:53

Surely there's nothing wrong about her saying that her son's death overshadows everything - how could it be otherwise?

As things are at the moment I shouldn't think there's much scope for cashing in on the Cameron name.

willsmadnan Sat 18-Feb-17 19:53:03

Here we go again! JessM just ignited the GN 'suspicious' default setting . Glad some of you still see the good in the world. So, for the rest of you... don't answer the phone, keep the chain lock on the door and keep reading false news items. As has been said... these are sound bites taken from a bigger interview which the trash media choose not to publish in full. Does anyone seriously believe Freddie Starr ate someone's hamster?

Ana Sat 18-Feb-17 20:00:21

Of course there's nothing wrong with that headline, Deeda - I was just comparing and contrasting it with the OP's claim that Samantha Cameron was 'talking about her son's death to promote her business'.

Party politics again.

Jalima Sat 18-Feb-17 20:03:59

Well done Samantha for talking about Ivan and his life and premature death. It will be a help to all women who have suffered the miscarriage, stillbirth and death of a disabled child, or any child for that matter. Is it worse to lose a child at birth or to lose one at six, having known and loved him? I don't know, they are loved even before they are born too as we in our family know only too well.

I expect the interviewer asked probing questions and I would think that Samantha is too nice and too polite a person to fob the interviewer off and is not doing this to promote her clothing line.

One GN member who has seem to have disappeared had a favourite saying 'shame on you' and I think 'shame on you JessM - her husband may have had his own agenda but Samantha Cameron does not deserve this.

Lynnieg Sat 18-Feb-17 20:12:07

Samantha Cameron has a degree in design and has been designing for a stationery/leather/bag company for years so it's not really something she 'just fancied doing'.

petra Sat 18-Feb-17 20:15:20

Jalima shame on you jessM says it all for many of us. Any decent person doesn't link dead children and politics together.

Jalima Sat 18-Feb-17 20:28:13

Sorry, I don't mean to be rude but that has upset me enormously.

Logging off now.
moon

Grannyben Sat 18-Feb-17 20:51:47

flowers for jalima