Gransnet forums

News & politics

The buck stops where?

(29 Posts)
MawBroon Fri 24-Feb-17 12:09:43

Leicester have sacked their manager Claudio Ranieri after a disastrous season which sees last year's football heroes facing relegation as a team
Labour lose a seat which they have held since 1935 to the Conservatives. Jeremy Corbyn is NOT likely to have to resign.
Does nobody else see the irony in this?

nigglynellie Fri 24-Feb-17 12:12:28

Yes!!!

Anniebach Fri 24-Feb-17 12:32:24

Yes

rosesarered Fri 24-Feb-17 12:39:50

Yes.grin..... and it's a lot more important than footie!

Rinouchka Fri 24-Feb-17 16:27:56

Oh yes!

Christinefrance Fri 24-Feb-17 17:37:36

Oh roses there are many who would disagree with that, not me smile

Jalima Fri 24-Feb-17 17:59:47

rosesarered Some people think football is a matter of life or death - that is a disappointing attitude because it is much, much more important than that!
The same goes for politics grin
(Neither are for me though)

Yes, 'Time to Say Goodbye' surely and I don't mean Ranieri

Jayh Fri 24-Feb-17 18:18:38

Yes! It is now beyond embarrassing for Corbyn to continue. But..... he was elected by and has the support of party members. Kezia Dugdale, the Scottish Labour Leader, says he still has her support despite the historic loss. I despair. I should be a Labour voter by conviction but I can't bring myself to do it while this ridiculous charade continues. Fortunately for me I am not being asked to vote in the near future.
What can be done?

Iam64 Fri 24-Feb-17 19:21:03

I don't know what can be done Jayh. Like you, I'm a Labour voter by conviction but as I have said on other similar discussion threads, I don't trust JC and I don't believe he can lead he LP to victory at any forthcoming election. I heard him interviewed today, when asked whether he considered his leadership to be a factor in the loss of the seat at Copeland, his response "no". No further comments, nothing, just a rather grumpy 'No".

So many people who could be seen as Labour voters are disillusioned, don't trust JC or the people he surrounds himself by. It's desperate and he's no intention of resigning. Those who oppose him within the party will no call for another leadership election because JC has a mandate from the recent leadership vote. We need an effective opposition to many of the tories current policies. If JC can't speak for people like me, where are we?

rosesarered Fri 24-Feb-17 19:28:22

Who said that historic quote about football being more important than life or death, was it Cloughy?

Anniebach Fri 24-Feb-17 22:31:35

I am in turmoil, we have the council elections coming up, how can I canvass for Labour councillors , one of them I have worked with since he came to me when a teenager about joining the party, again when he thought of running for town council, again when running for county council and again when thinking of standing for labour at the last election , I cannot avoid questions on Corbyn and I will not lie

Waveney Fri 24-Feb-17 22:46:34

It was Bill Shankly who said football was more important than life or death ( my son is a Liverpool supporter)

Rigby46 Fri 24-Feb-17 22:58:37

But ab - if it's for the council elections, does it matter? When you are canvassing can't you just say that you don't support JC if asked but say that at local level, such and such are the policies and the candidate you support will fight for better local services etc. Sorry if this is a bit simplistic - I'm not a party member or activist but I honestly don't understand why you can't support your local Labour candidates by canvassing even if you don't support JC ( which I gather you don't grin )

Chewbacca Fri 24-Feb-17 23:05:30

As long as Corbyn is leader of the LP, I will not vote for them.

Anniebach Fri 24-Feb-17 23:22:38

Rigby, what made you think i don't support the lying, back stabbing Corbyn grin

yggdrasil Sat 25-Feb-17 08:33:56

[quote]As long as Corbyn is leader of the LP, I will not vote for them.[/quote]

So who else is there? Blair and his followers are discredited.
If people want more austerity and cuts in the NHS and social services they will vote Tory, and that is democracy sad

Iam64 Sat 25-Feb-17 09:41:55

Anniebach, last year a friend stood as a Labour councillor in our (tory) area. He was open during canvassing about his dislike of Corbyn. The other main problem her is our Labour leader on the council. I suspect Labour's stronghold on the council won't survive the next local elections. In fact, I hope it doesn't.

Chewbacca Sat 25-Feb-17 10:03:35

Regrettably so yggdrasil but the LP, in my opinion, is rudderless and seemingly hell bent on self destruction. Compared to them, the Tories are comparatively "united" and aren't spending valuable time bickering and back biting amongst themselves. Even David Milliband considers that the party is "at its weakest point in 50 years". Corbyn is an ego maniac who does not have the LPs best interests at heart, only his own.

sunseeker Sat 25-Feb-17 10:23:36

As I have said on other threads - I think Corbyn is a basically decent man who was promoted beyond his capabilities. He doesn't have the leadership qualities necessary to lead a political party. My father was a life long Labour supporter and union activist but I don't think he would be able to support today's Labour party.

Anniebach Sat 25-Feb-17 10:29:59

Iam, I have decided, I will canvass for our labour councillors , will remain a member of the Labour Party and if Corbyn is still leader come the general election I will vote either Plaid or Lib, labour hasn't won this constituency since the seventies .

Jalima Sat 25-Feb-17 10:37:36

I think many people standing for council want to do the best for their local area although there are always some who are in it for themselves. Some just want the glory of being a large fish in a small pond, of course, and I do know a couple who spout dogma from the Corbyn handbook. Most people seem to vote for the person who they think will do best for the locality rather than the party in local elections, unlike general elections.

Rigby46 Sat 25-Feb-17 23:02:14

well maybe my area's strange but the proportion of party votes cast at local elections is remarkably similar to the proportion at General Elections.

Jalima Sat 25-Feb-17 23:02:55

We seem to have a lot of Independents on our councils.

Rigby46 Sat 25-Feb-17 23:12:23

We have some as well it's an alternative spelling for Conservative

Jalima Sat 25-Feb-17 23:23:36

Oh well, must balance out all the Labour councillors here grin

They are always arguing, surprised they get anything done.