Gransnet forums

News & politics

A liberal plea for fake liberalism to grow up

(59 Posts)
thatbags Thu 02-Mar-17 08:22:44

"Donald Trump isn’t something that happened to us; it’s something we created. The Americans who disagree with you aren’t your enemies but your co-authors". Very good article by Willie Davis. Quite a long read.

whitewave Fri 03-Mar-17 17:04:31

Looked on objectively globalization should benefit us all, but in practice unless states take action to mitigate its excesses globalization is in fact largely benefitting the international corporations and share holders. Don't forget that this includes many pension funds. Nevertheless, tax avoidance, land grab, ecological disasters, the ability to wield undemocratic political power, etc are all characteristics of globalization. It isn't easy for states to stand up to these almighty wealthy companies, as they can threaten to up stakes and move to another country if they don't like what they see like Brexit. States are often reduced to sweeteners in order to retain the company within their borders.

Ankers Fri 03-Mar-17 17:22:49

Looked on objectively globalization should benefit us all, but in practice unless states take action to mitigate its excesses globalization is in fact largely benefitting the international corporations and share holders

Thank you whitewave!
My point exactly.

Ankers Fri 03-Mar-17 17:25:42

dd, you concern me. You are in favour of one world stuff and globilization is all part of that.

If people can't or won't adapt (for whatever reason), they will feel excluded

Leave people behind eh?

daphnedill Fri 03-Mar-17 17:41:05

If I conbcern you, you're easily frightened Ankers!! Have you been reading about 'one world stuff' on conspiracy sites?

PS. Were there any lizards?

This is history Ankers and has been since subsistence farmers first traded their surpluses with neighbours.

whitewave States are perfectly capable of taking action, if there's a will - even more so if they belong to a trade bloc such as the EU.

You're quite right about pensions. My DD has just started a job working on a project to minimise the damage caused by bond prices on future pension pay outs for a national company. There are some very unhappy employees. Current pensioners won't be affected.

whitewave Fri 03-Mar-17 17:50:01

dd states can and do take action if they are powerful enough to do so, but there are countries in say for example Africa where they are utterly powerless and simply reduced to taking bribes and becoming corrupt in the face of the powerful multi- nationals. The result has been ecological disaster, and land grab in some cases cash cropping in others, which has left the population in these countries without the means of feeding their families and working for the absolute minimum together with other such niceties as indentured labour etc.

Ankers Fri 03-Mar-17 17:50:41

Why would I need to read a conspiracy site[as far as I know, never read one in my life].

Which is all a diversion, so you dont answer the points properly.

You are not caring about "little people".

petra Fri 03-Mar-17 18:38:48

Whitewave Carrying on from your post: and then what happens, millions of men/families migrate to wherever they can have a better life, and then ( for many) they realise that this utopia that they were led to believe in, doesn't exist.

whitewave Fri 03-Mar-17 19:06:03

petra I also think that wars and climate change is a massive factor