Gransnet forums

News & politics

Lords revolting about Brexit

(227 Posts)
Cindersdad Wed 08-Mar-17 09:57:07

I was pleased that the Lords stood up against Brexit but sickened by the reaction of ministers towards those who DARE to oppose them. I've dropped a short email to my MP urging him to back the Lords amendments. Those who voted LEAVE did not vote for leave at any cost and those who voted REMAIN (almost 16,000,000) should not be ignored. If you care please let your MPs know and ask them to stand up to the Brexit Bullies. Parliament must have a free vote on the terms of the Brexit negotiations.

Anniebach Thu 09-Mar-17 10:16:38

I think I would rather stick with the Lords as it is - with less members- that an elected House of Lords. We could now have a Tory government and a Tory House of Lords , Obama was prevented from carrying out much because the republicans held the power

rosesarered Thu 09-Mar-17 10:19:38

The HOL could certainly be slimmed down ( cut in half!) and it could still function well.

Jalima Thu 09-Mar-17 10:46:15

Would that be problem, though, anniebach?
If the HOL was elected we could have a Labour upper house at some point too although that would seem to be an anachronism unless the name is changed.
It's surprising how many Labour Lords there are despite the fact that so many despise the system!

There are a number of crossbenchers too, presumably they would stand as independents.
Heseltine, a Tory peer, did not agree with the Government and stood by his principles without fear or favour - ' some issues transcend party politics'

Anniebach Thu 09-Mar-17 11:00:46

Jalima, I spoke of the tories because they are in government now, I would be as fearful of a labour government and labour lords ,

Yes if an elected lords they could stand as independents but There are only four independent MP's in the house , four out of 650 ?

Jalima Thu 09-Mar-17 13:47:37

I don't know how they would be elected either, perhaps it would have to be PR

The average age is 69. Perhaps it may be a good idea not to keep adding to them, let the numbers go down naturally.

daphnedill Thu 09-Mar-17 14:45:41

I don't think they should be elected by the public. I suspect the public would know about as much about people likely to stand for the Upper House as they do about their Police and Crime Commissioners, for which the turnout is woeful. We'd probably end up with an Upper House made up of 'celebs'.

On the other hand, we do need a second chamber for good governance. I suspect there would need to years of committees to decide who is worthy of a seat and to decide all the constitutional changes which would be needed.

NfkDumpling Thu 09-Mar-17 18:57:03

Thank you roses I didn't think the cap fitted at all.

Jalima Thu 09-Mar-17 19:15:33

So - the status quo - or more cronyism - or elected by the general public who only know about celebrities apparently.

hmm

MaizieD Thu 09-Mar-17 19:30:51

If the cap doesn't fit, Nfk & Roses then don't wear it.

It was a general post; not pointed at anyone in particular. There just seem to have been one or two misconceptions around about the workings of the British constitution and the meaning of 'sovereignty'. Not just in this forum but on social media and in the press.

Anniebach Thu 09-Mar-17 21:00:45

If the lords was to become an elected chamber would this mean a member for every constituency? If not who chooses who can stand ? Not simple is it ?

Elegran Thu 09-Mar-17 21:43:10

I think they should be there by a completely different route to the one that MPs take, so as to get a different mix and a different viewpoint and motivation for the way they vote, but I don't know what that route should be. It needs to be very carefully planned.

Anniebach Thu 09-Mar-17 21:50:48

I doubt there is a route which would meet with the approval of the four countries

Jalima Thu 09-Mar-17 22:31:48

Not simple is it ?
No, it's not.

I think letting the numbers dwindle naturally until they become a manageable and affordable size would be a start.
An absolute ban on any new peers until the number is down to 250!

A cull would be too drastic.

Anniebach Thu 09-Mar-17 22:45:36

I would be against a cull, there are people there I respect . Also if a cull would they lose their titles .

Cindersdad Fri 10-Mar-17 07:34:26

Last night's BBC 2 programme on Brexit I think made the case for a re-think even more justified.

There was one LEAVE voter who said that she really did not know why she voted leave and that they should never have had a referendum. She admitted that she did not feel qualified to make such decision, how many more like her?

William Haigh's short uttering was so unconvincing as to be pathetic. Thou shalt toe the party line and perish.

Does anyone know what Theresa May really thinks, does she even know herself?

whitewave Fri 10-Mar-17 08:09:10

Idea put forward on radio this morning sounded interesting.

As individuals we may be able to retain some of our rights -many of which Brexit would take from us- like freedom of movement etc, if we apply for it as individuals. I would hope this could be a runner as I would as would my children definately be interested.

Good idea I thought as Brexiters would not apply presumably thus it wouldn't affect them at all and retainers could apply.

whitewave Fri 10-Mar-17 08:09:58

Remainers!

whitewave Fri 10-Mar-17 08:24:03

Downing Street it is being suggested are beginning to concede a Scottish referendum. Is it goodbye Scotland?

whitewave Fri 10-Mar-17 08:25:38

I wonder if it becomes possible to claim and retain certain rights how many people will do so?

GracesGranMK2 Fri 10-Mar-17 09:26:16

It's an interesting thought ww but I wonder how and what as you do.

rosesarered Fri 10-Mar-17 09:27:25

Just Gina Millar?

rosesarered Fri 10-Mar-17 09:28:29

ab a cull sounds a bit brutal doesn't it? Men with clubs in hand.

rosesarered Fri 10-Mar-17 09:30:49

Cindersdad a tv programme where they trawl around for a couple of people who voted Leave for no good reason does not mean that we should have a re-think.

whitewave Fri 10-Mar-17 09:31:02

gg it was put forward by a bod from Brussels this morning. He suggested that it is a possibility to allow people as individuals to retain their existing rights which Brexit will take away. Sounds good to me. Apparently there are thousands of British people writing to Brussells requesting that very thing and is being considered favourably.

whitewave Fri 10-Mar-17 09:33:27

By the way rose Gina Miller voted to leave. She just doesn't like the way this government is trying to limit democracy.