Gransnet forums

News & politics

Scottish Referendum Autumn 2018 - Spring 2019

(243 Posts)
POGS Mon 13-Mar-17 12:33:08

So will it go ahead?

I know there is another thread on the subject but that thread is a call for Scots to say 'Yes'.

It looks more likely there will be a 2nd Referendum and Nicola Sturgeon appears to be 'declaring' it is 'definately' her intention by stating the period she wants it to take place between Autumn 2018 - Spring 2019.

Is anybody surprised?

Lord knows interesting times.

POGS Mon 13-Mar-17 12:35:22

What is Labours view given Corbyn's flip flop?

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jeremy-corbyn-against-second-scottish-referendum-clarifies-opposition-labour-row-nicola-sturgeon-a7626651.html

Jane10 Mon 13-Mar-17 13:02:00

Oh please Theresa -say no!

Anniebach Mon 13-Mar-17 13:11:13

My view, yet another Corbyn u turn , something those on the left leap on May for .

I hope there will not be a second referendum but can understand why many want one.

Badenkate Mon 13-Mar-17 13:13:34

Couldn't blame them if they went for it. Wish I could dissociate myself from the disaster we are heading for.

paddyann Mon 13-Mar-17 13:18:31

I dont understand ANY scot who doesn't want their country to run its own affairs...especially with the mess westminster has made of things ...for decades or longer.Its a YES from me and all my family and friends

SueDonim Mon 13-Mar-17 13:22:35

Goodness, Alec Salmond's 'once in a generation' has passed very quickly, I must be getting very old indeed, with time passing by so fast!

Granny23 Mon 13-Mar-17 13:48:05

Sue as they say 'a week is a long time in politics' and circumstances have greatly changed since the last Scottish referendum. BTW Alex Salmond did not promise that another referendum would not be held for at least a generation, he was more pointing out that his generation had waited all their lives for the opportunity to vote on this issue. It was the Unionist Parties and media who declared that it was a 'Promise'. If the Better Together side of the debate had not renegaded on all the promises, indeed 'Vows' they made during the campaign then perhaps they would not be facing another referendum now.

Cherrytree59 Mon 13-Mar-17 13:48:47

Paddyann if the referendum is under the guise of Scotland staying in Europe, N S must know that a Scotland in Europe won't be running its own affairs Brussels will!

Jane10 Mon 13-Mar-17 13:51:43

Scotland doesn't meet the economic criteria to join EU as has been pointed out time and again.
Britain is my country. I live in the part of it called Scotland.

paddyann Mon 13-Mar-17 14:06:50

"Britain " isn't a country its an island that houses two countries and a principality .Scotland would join all tose OTHER INDEPENDENT countries in the EU ....you know like France,Spain,Prtugal,Germany,etc etc etc ..or are you saying THEY aren't independent? The EU is responsible for less than 10% of laws ...Westminster has far more say in our day to day lives we currently have only 17% of law devolved and you have to admit given the restraints our SCOTTISH government is doing a reasonably good job....especially in comparison to England .MS Sturgeon has a mandate for Independence ,she was voted in by the people of the country she represents ...Scotland ,her party have 56 MP's in Westminster ...out of 59 that shows we voted for a party who we KNOW has independence as their core policy.The EU question can be answered by US ...after we have independence .Brexit has only given us the chance to return to the polls as it is a material change.We were PROMISED the only way to stay in the EU was to vote NO .Look how that turned out!

nigglynellie Mon 13-Mar-17 14:09:14

Much as I can understand Scotlands desire for independence from England, surely they will, if they ever can, go from Westminster to Brussels? Doesn't sound much like independence to me!!! Also unless they can go straight into the EU overnight, what on earth are they going to do for currency, armed forces, and all the other things that intertwine our two nations and have done for over 300 years? I can't see that Spain for one will allow Scotland easy access, a deal could take years! Special case? Others will expect the same! Who will be in power in Europe in 18months time? Surely it would be better to conclude our Brexit dealings as the UK, then for Scotland to re evaluate its position, and take it from there as to what the best way forward is. To pre empt would seem like madness to me.

Badenkate Mon 13-Mar-17 14:16:23

We're all going to hell in a handcart anyway, accompanied by the apologetic tones of those I heard on the radio today saying they just wanted to get control back (whatever that means) and didn't realise that lots of other complicated things were involved as well. Well, bless their little cotton socks.

And if you think Scotland has problems what to do, what about Northern Ireland? How do they resolve their problems? Do I sound depressed - got it in one! Has the anger faded? No way!

whitewave Mon 13-Mar-17 14:41:25

Cameron will go down in history as the worse Prime Minister ever.

There is nothing he set out to achieve that actually came about.

nina1959 Mon 13-Mar-17 15:19:37

Nicola needs permission from No 10 to have another referendum.

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/13/can-nicola-sturgeon-trigger-second-scottish-referendum-vote/

trisher Mon 13-Mar-17 15:32:35

I see No 10 has taken the opportunity to dump all the results of Brexit on the Scots wanting a referendum, apparently it will result in "huge economic uncertainty". Nothing to do with this government then?

Granny23 Mon 13-Mar-17 15:38:34

Scotland IS currently in the EU, Scots are European citizens now. If we vote for independence within the two years of Brexit negotiations then Scotland will remain an independent state within Europe - no need to re-apply, adopt the Euro (unless we want to) or meet any new entrant conditions.

As to currency - Sterling is Scotland's currency too. The Bank of ENGLAND (founded by a Scot) only got that name because there already was a commercial Bank of Scotland. Is is and should be called, the Bank of the United Kingdom. With Independence, Scotland would be entitled to, at least, an 8.3% share of the Bank's Assets.

I see the prospect of an Independent Scotland within the EU as a win-win situation for all of the British Isles. Companies who did not want to be dragged out of the EU by Brexit, could easily re-locate their HQ to Edinburgh, or elsewhere in Scotland and thereby retain full access to the single market.

Badenkate Mon 13-Mar-17 15:44:48

I may well come up and join you Granny23 sad

varian Mon 13-Mar-17 15:46:24

When asked in September 2013 is this was to be a "once in a generation" opportunity, Nicola Sturgeon clearly stated that it would be "once in a lifetime".

We all thought she meant the lifetime of a person, not a guinea pig!

MaizieD Mon 13-Mar-17 15:55:35

If Scotland becomes independent I would be almost tempted to offer to swop houses with my Brexit voting sister, who lives there...

nigglynellie Mon 13-Mar-17 16:23:50

The UK, part of which is Scotland is a member of the EU. According to the news Scotland as an independent country would put itself outside the EU and NATO and have to apply to join them as a new state. Spain would clearly make difficulties, and as for who instigated the Bank of England that is neither here nor there, Scotland, as an independent country would have to make its own banking arrangements and create its own bank of last resort. How can dual banking arrangements be true independence when this would still tie you to hated England? Cake and eat it comes to mind!!!

nigglynellie Mon 13-Mar-17 16:29:00

I should have said about banking, until such time as Scotland can join the EU and adopt the euro. Doesn't sound like independence to me!!!!

grannypiper Mon 13-Mar-17 16:32:28

paddyann if the vote was true independence for Scotland more people would vote yes but as you know snp want to join Europe, so how can you campaign for independence with a straight face ?
Wee nicky needs to remember she cant call a referendum she has to ask for one first.

grannypiper Mon 13-Mar-17 16:37:40

Granny23 Scotland never independently joined the EU we joined as the U.K.

Anniebach Mon 13-Mar-17 16:51:57

Paddyann, you are mistaken, Wales is a country not a principality