Gransnet forums

News & politics

George Osborne

(155 Posts)
daphnedill Fri 17-Mar-17 12:13:00

Apparently George Osborne has a new job as editor of the London Evening Standard, in addition to his £600,000pa job as a fund manager adviser. He says he's going to stay on as an MP.

Where's the man in a white suit? It seems that, with Neil Hamilton as ex-MP, Tatton doesn't have the best of luck with its MPs.

Isn't it a bit greedy to have three jobs when some people can't even find one? hmm

Deedaa Fri 17-Mar-17 20:01:39

Still don't see how you get to be editor of a prominent newspaper with no journalistic experience hmm Perhaps DS cansucceed as an astrophysicist in spite of having no qualifications grin

Morgana Fri 17-Mar-17 21:34:28

I have heard that he or his family are due to make a fortune out of the construction works for H.S 2. Don't know if it is true.

rosesarered Fri 17-Mar-17 21:39:38

It's not the amount of money that he earns ( or it shouldn't be) it's the fact that you can't do a good job as an MP and be editor of a daily paper as well.

suzied Fri 17-Mar-17 21:40:19

Another job he's not qualified For. The evening Standard is a pro Brexit free sheet which is anti Labour and made horrible comments about Sadiq Khan in the mayoral election. It's only use is for the cat litter tray.

suzied Fri 17-Mar-17 22:19:34

There's a few articles about how marvellous London is, loads of property pages with pictures of ex council flats which cost a fortune, and a bit of sport at the back. I don't expect it takes much editing.

MaizieD Fri 17-Mar-17 22:50:40

Perhaps he's going to turn it into a pro EU paper. Though why bother in a city which voted Remain?

Eloethan Fri 17-Mar-17 23:13:35

Why are banks and newspapers falling over themselves to offer this man a lot of money for part-time hours? Presumably, because of what and who he knows, the pressure he can bring to bear because of the inside knowledge he has - all very useful things for his new employers.

durhamjen Sat 18-Mar-17 00:37:52

Andrew Neill thought it was fake news.

This is what Guido Fawkes thinks, and he supports the Tories.

t.co/Qm1trJWuWy

Riverwalk Sat 18-Mar-17 08:18:29

Why are banks and newspapers falling over themselves to offer this man a lot of money

Heaven knows, but it happens all the time Eloethan with failed/fading politicians - they slide effortlessly onto the lecture circuit, quangos, directorships, TV shows, etc.

David Cameron was quickly on the gravy-train, following in the steps of William Hague, John Major, Chris Patten, Neil Kinnock ... the list is endless.

rosesarered Sat 18-Mar-17 09:16:26

Hang on a min! Because you may not like him doesn't mean he has no talent, he is said to be a very clever and able man ( even Corbyn says that) so of course banks and other institutions would want to employ him.
The problem comes from him having too many jobs to give full attention to being an MP.

rosesarered Sat 18-Mar-17 09:18:10

The list is endless Riverwalk because they are all intelligent and suitably talented for those occupations.

nettynora Sat 18-Mar-17 09:28:24

It's a disgrace and an insult to all those people he created misery for with his "austerity" budgets. At the very least he should resign as an MP but then he'll be made a Lord and on his quieter days be able to claim his £300 attendance fee in House of Lords!

Cathy1 Sat 18-Mar-17 09:28:57

I think being an MP is such an important and busy job, if you're doing it properly, that there shouldn't be time to have another job! We need MPs with total commitment to their constituents and MP's pay isn't that bad that they need more than one salary.
No wonder I'm finding that many MPs are out of touch when they're running around keeping several jobs going!

radicalnan Sat 18-Mar-17 09:35:35

If they were all so talented, able, intelligent, capable, would we be in the mess we are in now? None of them are worth the money and it is about time being an MP was a priviledge not a bloody hobby to be fitted in around milking other systems.

My former MP Cox forgot to tell the powers that be about 400.000 he had earnt as a barrister..........snouts in troughs all the time.

We need a different range of skills entirely to the ones we have now and as for Osborne, first he was a towel folder now he is an editor of a rag best used for lining the cat litter tray.......what has he ever done really?

Anyone with the social capital, not to mention the financial capital he has, can get well paid jobs...........it is still who you know, not what you know.

I cannot think of one MP that I have respect for.

Grrrrrrrrrrr

Strugglinabit Sat 18-Mar-17 09:39:53

It would appear that being an MP is a part-time occupation - and therefore an extremely well-paid one including generous expenses.
It is amazing that there must be so little talent around, that these many lucrative job opportunities are in the hands of so few.....
Political gamesmanship at work here?

quizqueen Sat 18-Mar-17 09:41:28

It's not against the law for an MP to take other work. I'm no fan of George Osborne but it's up to those in his Parliamentary constituency not to vote for him at the next election if they feel strongly about it.

Jaycee5 Sat 18-Mar-17 09:46:16

He has 6 jobs:

Speaker of the Washington Speakers Bureau where he has a lucrative contract to give speeches around the world.

Chairman of the Northern Powerhouse

Advisor to American fund management Black Rock (£650,000 a year)

Fellow at McCain Institute (American think tank)

Editor of Evening Standards (to be)

MP for Tatton.

I think that it goes well beyond greed.

daphnedill Sat 18-Mar-17 09:46:20

Osborne is no more able nor clever than many people I've known over the years. The difference is that he has "better" connections. I think Corbyn was being a tad sarcastic when he described Osborne as clever and talented.

IngeJones Sat 18-Mar-17 09:51:13

Yeah, we are in the fortunate position that my husband can support us both, and so we made the decision that one of us would be a full time homemaker as it seemed wrong to take up more jobs than we needed. So he goes to work and I do everything else, the cleaning, cooking, finances and all the DIY tasks. That way we both get the same amount of leisure time.

daphnedill Sat 18-Mar-17 09:51:25

Osborne is a member of the Privy Council, which is apparently for life. There would appear to be a conflict of interest, so I hope he can be persuaded to resign. It would appear he can't be sacked.

Ramblingrose22 Sat 18-Mar-17 09:59:30

As long as MPs are allowed to do other jobs while they are MPs, this is what we can expect.

Some people argue that if they do outside jobs, this keeps them in touch with the real world.

I think he knows that the boundary changes will wipe out his constituency at the next General Election and, even without that, that his constituents will be unhappy with him for taking on the extra job, so he is simply lining up a new job for the future.

Yorkshiregel Sat 18-Mar-17 10:01:48

I am at a loss as to how he can juggle 6 jobs! Impossible unless you do a crap job of all of them. Definitely has not got the time to do a good job.

Typical of Mr Osborne as he is intending this to be two fingers up at the people of UK. If I was a shareholder of any of these companies I would be asking what he was doing because he cannot be doing much. Proof if you need it that he does not give a fig for anyone except himself.

Jobs for the Eton boys as per usual. You scratch my back and I will scratch yours. Rich get rich and poor get poorer as always.

Riverwalk Sat 18-Mar-17 10:03:23

I'm just scrolling down the list of members of the Privy Council and am astounded at some of the names! shock

Lord Ashcroft
Duchess of Cornwall
Stephen Crabb

The list is fascinating ... hmm

janeayressister Sat 18-Mar-17 10:04:18

My MP has two jobs in parliament which result IMO in him not doing either of them properly. His constituency role has suffered. As I am in almost weekly contact with him, I know that it has.
Since he was appointed to his new role he doesn't reply to constituency matters promptly and is definitely distracted. He has more to gain from his new job.

I actually think we need more MPs. It is not humanly possible to do what our MP does. He represents too many people. The constituency is too large.
Despite him not being of my political persuasion, I have had to watch his activities closely over the last few years, I think he has a impossible job.
I think the House of Lords should be abolished and we should have smaller constiuences and more MPs.
Parish Councils, who are the grass roots, should wield more power. They should have some statuatory rights.
Back to George Osbourne. Personally I wouldn't go and hear him speak or part with a penny to aid him and his already privileged family. However, this is the system we have in the U.K., that is
Over crowded and underfunded Schools for the majority of us
A underfunded NHS, which then means Health risks for the majority of us.
A housing crisis for the young generation of the poorest section.
Very little social care for our most vulnerable.
Very little control of Power, Transport etc which results in the majority being crammed into trains and paying extortionate Petrol, Gas, Water ( what a greedy lot they are) prices.
So why moan about George Osbourne? He is taking full advantage of the system he is living in. He was after all born with a silver spoon in his mouth and is now helping himself with a large trowel, to all the advantages that a system that largely benefits him.
If I was him, I would probably do the same.

Yorkshiregel Sat 18-Mar-17 10:07:20

One thing the public could do of course is stop buying the newspaper so it goes bust!