Gransnet forums

News & politics

George Osborne

(155 Posts)
daphnedill Fri 17-Mar-17 12:13:00

Apparently George Osborne has a new job as editor of the London Evening Standard, in addition to his £600,000pa job as a fund manager adviser. He says he's going to stay on as an MP.

Where's the man in a white suit? It seems that, with Neil Hamilton as ex-MP, Tatton doesn't have the best of luck with its MPs.

Isn't it a bit greedy to have three jobs when some people can't even find one? hmm

Ginny42 Wed 22-Mar-17 08:12:02

Who could possibly disagree with that Jen? In particular para 6 of the statement and thank goodness for para 7.

JessM Wed 22-Mar-17 08:24:42

Suspect the other London editors are really pissed off. They've had to learn skills and climb a greasy pole, and Gideon saunters in, smiling smugly, in as if he's been invited to join the local PTA.
Then he implies it's a job he can do part-time.
Ex ministers are often given directorships. They turn up to board meetings every couple of months and earn their keep because they are well connected. Their role is "advisory". They may not know a thing about the industry in question, or the skills of being a director. But they are not the chief executive.
Any suggestions for a job for David Cameron?
(the only one I've heard of is running a charity that he invented himself, also President of a charity (an honorary role) househusband and auto-biographer.)
But who knows what he's being lined up for. (assuming that there are some powerful people who either owe him a favour, or are prepared to overlook his massively bad judgement)

Riverwalk Wed 22-Mar-17 08:26:55

I read that Cameron is in the running to be General Secretary of NATO! shock

JessM Wed 22-Mar-17 15:05:59

Well obviously stranger things HAVE happened. And recently too.
However his litany of bad decisions over his last year in office... would make it a scary thought. (I don't have to list them do I? Starting with v v nearly losing Scotland and then calling another referendum...)
But with Trump in the White House you'd have to have bad judgement to want the job!