Gransnet forums

News & politics

Snap Election

(66 Posts)
Fitzy54 Mon 20-Mar-17 07:11:13

Theresa May is being put under pressure by some in her party to call a snap election. Their motive is to get a bigger Tory majority and a clear mandate to negotiate Brexit on their terms. But the other parties would then also have the opportunity to put their case for a softer Brexit. It would also be an opportunity for the Scots to show their support or otherwise for a new independence vote. Should we have an early general election?

varian Mon 20-Mar-17 17:16:01

According to yougov, who asked people how they had voted in 2015 and in the referendum, 68% of LibDems voted to Remain. Interestingly, exactly the same percentage of graduates voted Remain.

www.gransnet.com/forums/news_and_politics/1235342-Snap-Election?pg=2

As a Liberal Democrat I was surprised that the percentage wasn't higher as I know a lot of LibDems and only one who has said she voted to Leave.

Probably the most surprising result was that 5% of UKIP voters actually voted to Remain although leaving the EU is the core policy of UKIP.

Fitzy54 Mon 20-Mar-17 17:58:39

UKIP voters supporting Remain? Bizarre.

Badenkate Mon 20-Mar-17 18:12:11

Could the last person to leave the country please switch off the light.

Fitzy54 Mon 20-Mar-17 18:17:19

We'll probably be on candles by then......

rosesarered Mon 20-Mar-17 19:11:15

varian a lot of Lib Dems who were asked, probably didn't like to say that they were voting to Leave.People who are polled don't always tell the truth either.

rosesarered Mon 20-Mar-17 19:12:25

C'mon Fitzy cheer up! ?

grannypiper Mon 20-Mar-17 20:38:59

I for one would just like some peace, i am all electioned out.

Fitzy54 Mon 20-Mar-17 21:26:55

Already have Roses. The shared bottle of white worked wonders!

JessM Mon 20-Mar-17 21:48:12

Polling stations may be booked for 4th May but it would be cutting it very fine to get a campaign up and running so rapidly unless they have all the posters designed etc. Local elections are being formally announced this week.
If you think that in some constituencies e.g. Osborne's (?) they'd have to select a new candidate...
Choosing to trigger 2 votes of no confidence in her own government does not seem likely?

NfkDumpling Mon 20-Mar-17 22:12:49

So, on top of negotiating Bexit, negotiating trade deals with the rest of the world, we could be facing a referendum in Scotland, a referendum in Northern Ireland, extra powers for Cornwall ... A general election which is obviously a second EU referendum. All in the next couple of years? Don't be silly. Nothing would get done properly.

Badenkate Mon 20-Mar-17 22:24:40

I like your optimism Nfkdumpling theat anything is going to be done properly

daphnedill Mon 20-Mar-17 22:50:55

And Gibraltar?

petra Mon 20-Mar-17 22:55:34

I have friends with a holiday home on Gibraltar and they think that people here in the uk are more concerned than expats living on Gibraltar.

Fitzy54 Tue 21-Mar-17 06:30:48

I'm sure the government wouldn't need to call a vote of no confidence. If TM wants a GE her MPs will do as they are told and I can't see Labour MPs refusing to vote for the opportunity to go to the electorate. I think TM would easily get the required 2/3 without the need for a no confidence vote. But I think it's clear now that she doesn't want an election so it's not going to happen.

JessM Wed 22-Mar-17 15:07:17

The problem with an election campaign is that it is a total distraction from doing anything else if you are the PM or anyone in the cabinet... I'm hoping they see it that way.