Gransnet forums

News & politics

London

(125 Posts)
Lillie Wed 22-Mar-17 15:35:04

Incident unfolding. Terrorist attack?

Lillie Wed 22-Mar-17 15:43:03

Hopefully a single incident but scary for those of us working or living in the capital. It goes without saying we will all be back at our desks tomorrow, life goes on.

Anniebach Wed 22-Mar-17 15:45:49

Being viewed as a terrorist attack but not confirmed.

chelseababy Wed 22-Mar-17 15:47:31

I suppose it was only a question of time before London was targeted again.

Lillie Wed 22-Mar-17 15:51:26

Yes, if so it's horrible how one unsophisticated attack can cause such misery. It's becoming very copycat.

patd Wed 22-Mar-17 16:04:32

Several people have been mown down by a car on westminster bridge, dont know how serious they are. Its frightening for people who live and work in that area.

tanith Wed 22-Mar-17 16:08:59

Very much an ongoing situation people injured and a policeman stabbed , they are saying an assailant has been shot.

Lillie Wed 22-Mar-17 16:11:40

Reassuring to see police everywhere, but people seem nervous. I've just driven home through Hackney and at the traffic lights plain clothes police jumped out of an unmarked car and surrounded a landrover. We must assume they're taking no chances and being vigilant.
One woman is reported dead. One death is one too many.

patd Wed 22-Mar-17 16:11:51

Now they are saying the people were not mown down but shot on westminster bridge (12 people).

Dont suppose we will know the true facts until later, just hope no one was seriously hurt.

merlotgran Wed 22-Mar-17 16:12:00

One woman has died and others very seriously hurt.

POGS Wed 22-Mar-17 16:17:51

Lillie

I am asking GNHQ to add my thread to yours as they were started at the same time.

Lillie Wed 22-Mar-17 16:31:45

Good idea POGS thanks. (Yes, exactly the same minute. Are you around London too?)

Luckygirl Wed 22-Mar-17 16:34:42

It is shocking - it sounds as though one woman has died and others are very seriously injured.

I am puzzled that the PC outside parliament is not both armed and wearing protective clothing - it sounds as though he has been stabbed seriously.

So sad.

POGS Wed 22-Mar-17 16:34:49

Lillie

GNHQ say they can't join the 2 threads so I hopefully have made it clear to post on yours.

POGS Wed 22-Mar-17 16:38:29

Lillie

No.

I was watching Parliament Live and flitting between that and Sky News.

As I said on my thread it does make you wonder if the Authorities had a whiff of something going to happen given the Air Traffic Conditions the Government has just put into place ?

KatyK Wed 22-Mar-17 16:39:10

Yes they have just said one woman has died and others have 'catastrophic' injurites. sad

Maggiemaybe Wed 22-Mar-17 16:40:59

At the WASPI demo a fortnight ago a woman next to me expressed her disgust at "people standing round Westminster holding guns". I said that it depended entirely on who the people were, and seeing as those in question were police officers, I found it reassuring.

All the officers, armed or not, were professional but very friendly, and it's shocking that at least one has been attacked. So sad for all those killed and injured.

Lillie Wed 22-Mar-17 16:42:06

Oh that's annoying POGS.

I'm actually in London and was trying to speak about the type of tension one feels at such a time. For some reason I'm shaky despite having lived here since birth. Maybe it's harder to compute with age.

Other grans will no doubt be worried about their relatives working in the capital. It's worrying for everyone.

TerriBull Wed 22-Mar-17 16:43:45

So sorry for those poor innocent people, particularly the woman who has died. I heard that there were a group of French school children close to where the rampaging attack by the 4x4 on Westminster Bridge.

gillybob Wed 22-Mar-17 16:43:49

OMG this is terrible news. My thoughts are with all of those living and working in the Capital.

Lillie Wed 22-Mar-17 16:51:35

Yes, POGS, I agree there must be significant reasons for the air traffic conditions put in place, but laptop explosions and bombs on planes are sophisticated weapons. This guy is supposed to have had only a car and a knife, (maybe a package in his car?)

MawBroon Wed 22-Mar-17 16:52:41

Like gillybob my thoughts are with those innocent people going about their business and with the police and those with the responsibility for security at Westminster.
Selfishly, my second thought was for DDs and SILs and DGS in London -no reason for them to be anywhere near Westminster but still, and then I thought that of course the poor woman who was killed and the others seriously injured are somebody's child/ mum/ wife/sister etc sad

Jalima Wed 22-Mar-17 16:53:01

Dreadful news and very worrying
Innocent tourists caught up in this by the sounds of the news reports.

POGS Wed 22-Mar-17 16:53:09

Is it any coincidence today is the 1st anniversary of the terrorist attacks in Brussels ?

They have been remembering that today .

TerriBull Wed 22-Mar-17 16:53:21

My son has just texted me he works in The Strand, far enough away from Westminster, but nevertheless everybody working in London is very tense.

Just heard a woman has been pulled out of the Thames, alive shock heaven knows what happened there.