Gransnet forums

News & politics

Anti-Brexit march tomorrow WILL go ahead

(203 Posts)
varian Fri 24-Mar-17 15:36:55

Tomorrow's anti-Brexit march in London was scheduled to be one of the biggest ever protests. However the terrorist attack on Wednesday may have put off some of those who planned to take part. I have been told by someone who is intending to go that fake emails have been sent saying that it has been cancelled beacuse the police are overstretched. This is NOT true. Please spread the word that it is going ahead.

www.uniteforeurope.co.uk/

whitewave Fri 24-Mar-17 18:12:28

Well the route is always mapped all they have to do is avoid it. Simples!

Jalima Fri 24-Mar-17 18:14:49

maybe we should close all theatres, cinemas, ban all sporting events - in fact let's make everyone stay at home.

That is the trouble - people might as well stay at home as fight their way through mobs of protesters.

Showing terrorists that we will not be cowed by their actions is best demonstrated by going about our normal lives, not by rentamob causing more problems for the police and security services.

Jalima Fri 24-Mar-17 18:15:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

whitewave Fri 24-Mar-17 18:17:46

Well it's up to them, of course they don't have to avoid the march f they feel so strongly but personally I would. Mind you I wouldn't get so wound up about it either. That's life, and if that's all I ever had to worry about well whoopee I say.

Jalima Fri 24-Mar-17 18:22:04

You wouldn't think we lived in a democracy where we are supposed to respect the majority vote would you!

Jalima Fri 24-Mar-17 18:25:48

That's life, and if that's all I ever had to worry about well whoopee I say.
and what exactly do you mean by that?

No, it is not all we have to worry about and I don't see why I shouldn't express some frustration at protest after protest disrupting the capital - it's time people grew up and accepted the majority vote is my view.

Jalima Fri 24-Mar-17 18:28:24

grumppa Fri 24-Mar-17 18:29:56

At least a Remainers' protest will probably be less unpleasant than a Brexiters' would have been if the referendum had gone the other way and Farage was leading it.

MaizieD Fri 24-Mar-17 18:36:02

As the date was fixed weeks ago, Jalima I'd have thought that anyone who didn't want to get caught up in it would have avoided going to London this weekend.

janeainsworth Fri 24-Mar-17 18:41:09

The 48% still have the right to express their views.
Personally I object to being lectured about 'the will of the people' when less than half of the population actually voted for Brexit.
I wonder if those objecting to this march would prefer to live in one of those countries where peaceful protest is met with tear gas, water cannon and worse.

Jalima Fri 24-Mar-17 18:41:12

As the date was fixed weeks ago, Jalima I'd have thought that anyone who didn't want to get caught up in it would have avoided going to London this weekend. Really? how many weeks in advance was it fixed?
Do you not realise that some people may have booked special weekends away months in advance?

Jalima Fri 24-Mar-17 18:43:20

Presumably some of you will be going on it then if you are so defensive of it - even the organisers know it will make no difference.

Jalima Fri 24-Mar-17 18:44:11

the trouble is that 'peaceful protest' is not always that as the pushing, shoving mob demonstrated not that long ago.

Rigby46 Fri 24-Mar-17 18:45:10

You make it so easy Ana - I don't know why.
I can't believe the nasty, petty, pathetic sanctimonious anti-march comments made on here. 'Constant disruption to the life of others' - grow up! But the thing that shows you up for what you really are is that you used the death and injury of innocent people to make your cheap points.

Jalima Fri 24-Mar-17 18:48:49

Norah Fri 24-Mar-17 18:51:18

The right to peaceful protest seems rooted in democracy, to me. Have a go.

Rigby46 Fri 24-Mar-17 19:01:35

Jalima stop trying to be so disingenuous - you , magpie and niggly made the cheap shots and you damn well know it. And mentioning a relative who is helping the injured cuts no ice with me at all - in fact I would descrobe it as another cheap shot.

whitewave Fri 24-Mar-17 19:02:05

I'm not going, but would be much more worried if the government stopped it from going ahead.

I do think you are getting too wound up about something that happens almost every month in London. There is always a protest about something. It just happens, no big deal.

Rigby46 Fri 24-Mar-17 19:05:56

There are thousands of staff in NHS hospitals all over the country as we speak helping sick and injured people - whether as a result of Wednesday or a car accident or domestic violence is actually irrelevant - it's not why the patient needs help but the fact that someone is giving it that matters.

Rigby46 Fri 24-Mar-17 19:09:55

ww you know why they are getting wound up - because it's a march they don't support, therefore the fact that it is happening will bring the whole of London to a standstill, will ruin millions of people's special day out and bring the police and the security services to their knees. God knows how they'll feel when Harry's wedding happens - now that really will cause mayhem

Welshwife Fri 24-Mar-17 19:17:35

This march is all about the people that Brexit will actually affect - the EU citizens in the UK and UK citizens in the EU - nothing to do with the rest of you who don't seem to care a fig that so many people are worried sick about their futures!!!!! Nothing whatsoever to do with a rent a mob - these people are going over to UK at a fair cost to themselves to support each other and also to meet each other.
There is a group -where I glean a bit of information - for these people to tell what they are trying to do and what their position is - many with families in UK and married to a Brit and getting nasty letters from the Home Office although they are resident quite legally in UK.
They also have access to Parliamentary Committees - who are taking their worries seriously - as are Juncker and Verhafstadt. Nobody is actually trying to overturn the vote last June -

Jalima Fri 24-Mar-17 19:20:39

because it's a march they don't support, did you read my post?

I voted remain as did all my family! but accept democracy and wonder why people march when they know they cannot change anything.

Yes, I am getting anxious and I did not make any cheap shots as you call it.
Yes, thousands of medical staff all over the country helping sick and injured people but not a lot of them were in the vicinity running towards a terrorist attack to help.

We will avoid Harry's wedding - presumably there may be months of notice for that.

Jalima Fri 24-Mar-17 19:21:44

and bring the police and the security services to their knees
I don't think the police and security services need this at the moment quite frankly.

Jalima Fri 24-Mar-17 19:25:28

petra Fri 24-Mar-17 19:25:50

Well I'm certainly not wound up, why would I be. I got exactly what I wanted, out of the eu. Happy days grin
I hope everyone has a lovely march and it makes them feel better.