Gransnet forums

News & politics

Anti-Brexit march tomorrow WILL go ahead

(202 Posts)
varian Fri 24-Mar-17 15:36:55

Tomorrow's anti-Brexit march in London was scheduled to be one of the biggest ever protests. However the terrorist attack on Wednesday may have put off some of those who planned to take part. I have been told by someone who is intending to go that fake emails have been sent saying that it has been cancelled beacuse the police are overstretched. This is NOT true. Please spread the word that it is going ahead.

www.uniteforeurope.co.uk/

dbDB77 Fri 24-Mar-17 15:48:51

What are you protesting about? Democracy?

petra Fri 24-Mar-17 15:52:16

What's the point?

nigglynellie Fri 24-Mar-17 15:54:20

Can't see the point, it was a democratic vote and will soon be a fact; or is it that democracy is fine unless it works against you?!!

magpie123 Fri 24-Mar-17 15:57:19

Yes I agree what's the point, to cause disruption in London haven't the police got enough to do.

petra Fri 24-Mar-17 15:59:15

Let's hope it doesn't rain grin

Ana Fri 24-Mar-17 16:03:48

Pathetic! I just can't believe the mindset of some remainers, they're like spoilt kids stamping their feet because they didn't get their own way...

Anya Fri 24-Mar-17 16:04:26

Let them go ahead. It will gain nothing but at least it will show the British are bonkers have the true fighting spirit and love a lost cause.

magpie123 Fri 24-Mar-17 16:06:58

Let's hope it does. It will be the usual rent a crowd out to cause trouble. Have you no respect for the people caught up in the terror attack.

magpie123 Fri 24-Mar-17 16:07:33

Rain I mean.

varian Fri 24-Mar-17 16:21:45

Tomorrow there will also be a march in Edinburgh. One of the organisers Vanessa Glynn said:

“As the Westminster government is driving us off a Brexit cliff, we will say it loud and clear. Not in our name!

“We have not forgotten how far Britain has come since 1973. We have not forgotten the wars and extremism that ruined our continent before Europeans finally decided to unite their forces to create peace and prosperity instead.

“On Sunday the 26 of March the clocks go forward an hour, then they go back sixty years with the triggering of Article 50 on 29 Wednesday.”

nigglynellie Fri 24-Mar-17 16:25:01

What on earth does rent a mob hope to gain by this march? Haven't the police had enough to cope with this week without a crowd of losers clogging up the streets and making a wretched nuisance of themselves for no good reason.

Rigby46 Fri 24-Mar-17 17:17:32

I wondered how long it would be on this thread before we had the cheap shot using Wednesday"s tragedy. Shame on you. Well I think it's bloody fantastic that I live in a country where 3 days after such an event people are free to gather and march to express their views - it's called a democracy. The police in London this weekend are no busier than any other weekend - or maybe we should close all theatres, cinemas, ban all sporting events - in fact let's make everyone stay at home. FFS - and why 'rent a mob' - good on you varian

Rigby46 Fri 24-Mar-17 17:21:10

Mind you, it's clear on this thread who the rent a mob are on GN - you are so predictable

Ana Fri 24-Mar-17 17:22:44

Yes, it is indeed a democracy, and a democratic vote took place last year to leave the EU, although strangely enough, that seems to be unacceptable to some.

Rigby46 Fri 24-Mar-17 17:25:18

But a democracy means you can carry on disagreeing - or is that not allowed? But there you go as ever Ana - never missing a chance to criticise and be negative

merlotgran Fri 24-Mar-17 17:35:56

Will it be a disgruntled luvvie fest?

Bob Geldof, snarling and gesticulating, Lily Allen weeping crocodile tears?

Who cares.

nigglynellie Fri 24-Mar-17 17:37:16

Knickers well and truly twisted!! It's always the same, any criticism is always met with outraged indignation reminiscent of squawking hens!! We demonstrated democracy last June, what's the point in going on about it. Oh of course, democracy!!!

Ana Fri 24-Mar-17 17:42:51

And of course, any opportunity for Rigby to have a go at me when she bothers to come over here from MN for a quick carp...

thatbags Fri 24-Mar-17 17:44:39

Saw a good quote recently, something along these lines: It's democracy when the majority agree with me and it's populism when the majority don't agree with me.

nigglynellie Fri 24-Mar-17 17:50:54

That quote describes democracy perfectly!!!

TerriBull Fri 24-Mar-17 18:01:01

thatbags grin

petra Fri 24-Mar-17 18:08:36

There's nothing wrong in a march if there's a chance that it might achieve something, but in this case it won't. In this case the people have spoken and the people's will is going to be obeyed.

Jalima Fri 24-Mar-17 18:10:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Jalima Fri 24-Mar-17 18:11:49

But a democracy means you can carry on disagreeing - or is that not allowed?
Well, of course you can disagree until the cows come home.
But constant disruption to the lives of other people is selfish.