Gransnet forums

News & politics

I'm tempted to call him a 'so-called' judge but basically he's a disgrace to the bench

(93 Posts)
Anniebach Tue 28-Mar-17 09:41:43

Can't control the sarcasm can you Rigby, pity and so very childish

Rigby46 Tue 28-Mar-17 09:28:16

Well ab that's what he said and/ or implied and he was wrong to say it. Men hitting women, forcing bleach down them, emotionally abusing them is just simply wrong and having two degrees doesn't make it less wrong. Anyway, I thought you thought people should try and make a go of their marriage?

Iam64 Tue 28-Mar-17 08:44:34

The Judge's comments and sentencing truly shocked me. Did he mean that because the woman wasn't a poor, illiterate immigrant then she should have just walked out of the marriage, so putting some blame on her for "allowing" herself to be victimised?
Judges do have the benefit of training so that when considering cases involving violent, emotionally abusive domestic violence, they understand the perpetrator is responsible, not the victim. It sounds as though this Judge either had no training, or didn't absorb the information he was given.
It's good to read that Jess Phillips is to take this up with the Attorney General.

grannypiper Tue 28-Mar-17 08:37:23

I just cant find the words to explain how i feel about this. angry & confused

Anniebach Tue 28-Mar-17 08:35:58

When the judge said she was not vunerable it could be he meant she was an intellegent woman who could have walked away from the relationship, wasn't dependant on the chap , could have supported herself ?

thatbags Tue 28-Mar-17 08:07:23

She drank bleach and she's still alive?!? ?

Shouldn't he be on some kind of restraining order?

Jess Phillips said she will raise the matter with the attorney-general and with Liz Truss.

Eloethan Tue 28-Mar-17 00:08:30

Judges like that bring the whole judicial system into disrepute. I don't understand what he means by her not being vulnerable. Surely all human beings are vulnerable to bullies and psychopaths, or should there be a tick box of vulnerabilities to justify a custodial sentence?

I can't think why a pathetic bully who hits his wife with a cricket bat, forces her to drink bleach and generally degrades her and destroys her physical and emotional wellbeing, should be spared prison.

Jalima Mon 27-Mar-17 23:37:37

Retrained?
He is not fit to be a judge and I am surprised that the defence counsel can hold up his head in public as well.

Bashir has to attend a workshop entitled building better relationships. Truly astonishing!

This judge is a husband and father of young children, including a daughter and should be ashamed of himself - is this the message he wishes to send out to the women of this country?

SueDonim Mon 27-Mar-17 23:34:56

Agreed, Rigby. And presumably if a woman was a professional boxer, that would give anyone carte blanch to beat her up, because she wouldn't be vulnerable, would she? hmm

Really, this is almost back to the days when men were excused DV because their wife had done something to annoy them, which made their husband hit them and so they in fact deserved it.

Anniebach Mon 27-Mar-17 23:14:23

Surely forcing her to drink bleach was attempted murder .

Mazie, it is possible for a woman to check if a new man friend has a record of abuse, I don't know restricted this is.

Rigby46 Mon 27-Mar-17 23:07:36

I love the idea that having friends and a degree makes being hit and bring forced to drink bleach not quite as serious. Well there you go, punishing women for getting educated.

Rigby46 Mon 27-Mar-17 23:04:57

But what is a suitable punishment for DV? I suppose that leads to what is a suitable punishment for all sorts of crimes. What I do know is that people are imprisoned for not paying fine - so there's room in prisons for them. But back to the lie he told about having a contract with Leicester CC. If it is true that this is a lie ( and LCC say there was no offer) then he should be hauled back to court on a charge of perjury. The judge took this job offer into consideration in reaching his sentencing decision and didn't ask for evidence ??? WTF???

MaizieD Mon 27-Mar-17 22:47:58

Arrgh. Didn't proofread, please excuse typos.

MaizieD Mon 27-Mar-17 22:47:09

I can sort of understand why the judge didn't send him to prison as prisons are full to bursting; on the other hand, I thik he should have been made to pay far more than that in costs and I think there should be some sort of domestic abuser register for people like him to be put on, as there is a sex offender's register..

But the judge's remarks are utterly unbelieveable. He's not just living in anither century, he's living on another planet. Violence is violence is violence. It isn't any less physically and mentally damaging when you have friends and a degree, for heaven's sake!

SueDonim Mon 27-Mar-17 22:22:26

I was outraged, too. What a disgrace. I hope there is some mechanism by which this sentence can be reviewed, especially in the light of the defendant seemingly lying about the cricket club job.

Luckygirl Mon 27-Mar-17 22:11:02

The logic escapes me - do you have to be "vulnerable" for it to be wrong for your husband to physically abuse you? If you are not "vulnerable" then it's OK is it?

Niobe Mon 27-Mar-17 21:49:45

Agree with you 100% ! Could not believe that this could happen.

Rigby46 Mon 27-Mar-17 21:29:11

www.theguardian.com/society/2017/mar/27/attorney-general-urged-to-review-release-of-wife-beating-cricketer

So we are living in what century? Surely this has to be reviewed and the judge sacked retrained?