Gransnet forums

News & politics

Brexit all done and dusted?

(857 Posts)
Cindersdad Sun 02-Apr-17 16:47:13

As an arch REMOANER I for one (of many) will not simply roll over and say that is that. As things progress at the very least parliament must ensure that the country does not Brexit in a bad way because of "The Will of the People". So many lies were told by both side at the time of referendum that when the full facts come to light a re-think should be considered.

I have yet to hear a sound reason for voting LEAVE. Of course the EU is far from perfect but we are better trying to change it from within than sniping from outside. A general election or second referendum before the point of absolute no return.

I happen to be visiting Brussels on an educational trip after Easter so until then I will put up and shut up unless really provoked.

trisher Sun 28-May-17 15:35:11

As you believe there should be "No free movement" saak perhaps you can tell me what would happen to all the EU workers currently living, working and paying taxes here? And what would happen to the thousands of Brits living in other countries ?

durhamjen Sat 27-May-17 00:44:51

Are you really saying that we should change other countries so that they are more like us?
Imperialism still alive and kicking.

The only party that will make the UK more unequal, so the rich get richer, is the Tory party. I hope you are not going to vote for them, saaki.

MaizieD Sat 27-May-17 00:34:15

Are you including overseas professionals in the NHS in your remarks about overseas workers, saak?

Rigby46 Sat 27-May-17 00:00:56

Or still even

Rigby46 Sat 27-May-17 00:00:26

I bet you believe in unicorns srill

stillaliveandkicking Fri 26-May-17 23:35:42

Its also a myth that overseas workers do a better job.

The only truth in this is that they are exploited and work longer hours for less money, however their work is unskilled and will need rectifying. Its a very false economy.

stillaliveandkicking Fri 26-May-17 23:23:49

Also with the utmost respect I understand that most want to come to the UK due to it being a free society. However, this is not the answer at the detriment of our own people. Help to change the governing ethos of these countries instead.

stillaliveandkicking Fri 26-May-17 23:12:25

With respect I don't really understand your post petra.

At this point in time I really don't care, I do however believe that brussels has prospered highly from german and french dictate and were willing to take this on for their own gain.

However, that aside, the UK are leaving the EU, not only that, immigration from where-ever will hopefully be controlled. When you have an "open border" policy it tends to make other criteria lax.

petra Fri 26-May-17 22:55:44

A dear friend had to fold his company ( fitting office furniture mainly in London) because he couldn't compete with companies using mainly Russian labour.

so all the things that might once have been financed by Brussels won't happen
Brussels doesn't finance anything: it's our money and most of the other 27 countries. Don't make it sound as if brussels is lady bountiful distributing largess, it's not.

stillaliveandkicking Fri 26-May-17 22:21:31

Maybe its time for the majority to ask why the minority want to stay in the EU other than the well off becoming more so?

Being in the EU does not work for the majority and the majority (every one I know) are willing to take a bit of rough (lets face it, this is what we are called anyway) before a fairer society is formed and that will take place once we are out of this dysfunctional elite club.

rosesarered Fri 26-May-17 22:09:02

I think that saak has given more than enough reasons for wanting us to leave the EU.It's not so much that jobs have been taken away by foreign workers, rather that UK workers were not considered for the jobs in the first place.
We will be starting negotiations to leave the EU just eleven days from the GE, and
Some of us will be very pleased about that.

stillaliveandkicking Fri 26-May-17 22:04:17

I think that has all been said welsh and is one of the main reasons why the country has a whole wants an end to free movement. I personally don't call that progress. I find that statement pretty naive at best and offensive at worst.

Welshwife Fri 26-May-17 21:58:57

No I never suggested that at all and everyone is entitled to their opinions.

Could you be a tad more specific and tell us the jobs which have been taken away from you? I have to admit that I do not know anyone who has had their job taken away by a foreign(EU) worker although I have known a few lose jobs due to what is called progress.

stillaliveandkicking Fri 26-May-17 21:22:08

When your working life keeps being taken from under you via people undercutting due to foreign cheap labour you can no longer have that life. It depends where you live and clearly as a population on mass this has happened on a huge scale. You obviously don't live my life nor the life of a vast amount of people in this country.

I think my reasons have been voiced enough.

Why do you think the majority of people in the UK want to get out of Europe Welsh? Is it because we are thick peasants?

stillaliveandkicking Fri 26-May-17 21:12:11

With respect how long have we been in the EU club Welsh? My mind is open and so is my heart.

However this system doesn't work for me and I'm glad of the change. I'm also totally prepared to go with my convictions.

Welshwife Fri 26-May-17 21:02:08

What makes you think you are more working class than many others of us here? To me Working class means anyone who needs to work to survive - and I come into that category.

It is not a question of needing a safety net at all but opening minds and hearts to other people and learning from the - something most of us can do.

stillaliveandkicking Fri 26-May-17 20:12:07

I burst out laughing the other day when a friend of mine said the affluent think brexit is a "peasants revolt" there was an element of truth to this though.

I told my friend that the country is made up of far more peasants than affluent thankfully smile

stillaliveandkicking Fri 26-May-17 20:08:34

Im sure we can stand on our own two feet welsh. I think you feel some sort of safety net has been taken away. I personally don't feel like that at all. I feel very constricted being within the EU. But there again I'm not someone that wants to be in a 'group' or club that has detrimental restrictions over my life or livelihood.

stillaliveandkicking Fri 26-May-17 19:50:02

I've seen a lot believe me, being working class.

Freedom of sovereignty to me means having our own laws, our own trade deals and deciding who comes into our country.

That is not unreasonable in the slightest.

Not sure why you would ask me if I've learned anything? What are you suggesting durham?

Welshwife Fri 26-May-17 19:48:10

We never lost that SaaK - the UK are most unlikely to be given free trade with the EU - it will have lost club membership. The EU only agree trade deals as a group and not individually.
Surely we will have far less freedom when we leave - we have never lost any sovereignty.
The EU has just announced a new fund for natural disasters such as fires, earthquakes and flooding. The U.K were likely to have benefitted greatly from that.

stillaliveandkicking Fri 26-May-17 19:44:14

Im more for a democratic society voting and deciding. Im more for the people in that democracy deciding rather than the elite.

durhamjen Fri 26-May-17 19:44:07

What on earth does that mean?
We never gave up our sovereignty. All EU countries are sovereign countries.
Have you not learnt anything ?

stillaliveandkicking Fri 26-May-17 19:40:59

Not sure what you mean there durham. Im more for freedom of sovereignty.

durhamjen Fri 26-May-17 19:39:13

Dictatorship be Brexiteers instead.

durhamjen Fri 26-May-17 19:36:57

No free movement? We'll all stay in our own little set of islands, shall we?
It works both ways.