Gransnet forums

News & politics

Police hypocrisy

(89 Posts)
Anniebach Mon 10-Apr-17 10:07:56

I am going to cause anger, nothing new

Today is the funeral of the police officer who was killed in the Westminster attack, his body was allowed to rest last night in the Palace of Westminster - with permission of queenie - police from all over the country will travel to London today to pay tribute to a police officer who died protecting Westminster .

Firefighters etc who give their lives protecting the public are not awarded this honour.

The met are using this officers death to play the - our police are wonderful card , I think it wrong and find it so hypocritical

whitewave Mon 10-Apr-17 10:15:37

You could give them the benefit of the doubt annie

NanaandGrampy Mon 10-Apr-17 10:15:44

Was the honour not accorded to him because he was part of the Specific Westminster Protection Force Annie whose sole job is to protect the MPs etc , not just because he was a police officer fallen in duty?

I suspect if it had been a firefighter in the same squad ( if there is one) he too would have been accorded the same honour.

So I totally disagree with your statement , it's nothing to do with the 'police are wonderful' .

ninathenana Mon 10-Apr-17 10:18:36

Annie It's a valid point that other emergency services should be honoured equaly for the same sacrifice. I believe the queen gave permission for this service because he is deemed to have 'saved her parliament' . hmm
I suppose some will also be asking the question 'how can they spare these hundreds of officers when they say there is a shortage of personnel'. I'm not getting into that one.

Anniebach Mon 10-Apr-17 10:18:55

So police who guard the Palace of Westminster are braver than police who protect the public ? I disagree

sunseeker Mon 10-Apr-17 10:25:11

I would like to think all those who die in the line of duty are honoured. In this case I think it is because, as NanaandGrampy say he served as part of the Westminster Protection Force. I also think he is a symbol of all those who place themselves in harms way trying to protect us from terrorists. Can we not just honour this man for the sacrifice he made.

CleopatraSoup Mon 10-Apr-17 10:30:28

I sense some media manipulation behind this though not necessarily from the Police. The Daily Fail & Express will no doubt have a jingoistic field day as will Britain First and UKIP.

However I am a cynic.

Ana Mon 10-Apr-17 10:35:46

Behind what?

MiniMouse Mon 10-Apr-17 10:41:56

Is it not, perhaps, to be seen as a nod to all police officers?

gillybob Mon 10-Apr-17 10:46:38

What's the point of such an "honour" anyway? The poor guy is dead and will never know.

There are thousands of people who have been killed in the line of duty.

sunseeker Mon 10-Apr-17 10:53:38

"gillybob* Whenever anyone dies they don't know how their remains are dealt with, so are you suggesting when your loved ones die you can just flush their ashes down the loo - after all they won't know.

I don't know about you but to me a funeral service (whether religious or not) is a way of showing respect and honouring the life of the person who has died. In this case it is also honouring all those who die in the line of duty.

janeainsworth Mon 10-Apr-17 10:57:56

The point of the honour as I see it gilly is to remind us all that there is a price to be paid for the freedoms which I'm afraid many of us take for granted but which I am sure when we think about it, we are very grateful.
A very heavy price for Keith Palmer and his family. sad
I loathe the exploitation of such events by the right-wing press, but ironically their freedom to do this is part of the freedom we cherish.
I don't see any police hypocrisy Annie.

NanaandGrampy Mon 10-Apr-17 11:00:39

No Annie no braver . BUT he was part of that 'parishes' workforce. And as Minimouse said its a symbol for all who serve I would have thought. I believe it also allows others to pay their respects which might not have been possible in a smaller church.

Its not for the 'poor guy' Gillybob its for his family, his friends, his colleagues , and even the general public. Its a symbol of respect for the ultimate sacrifice - Protect and Serve.

Christinefrance Mon 10-Apr-17 11:01:07

Yes I agree sunseeker, I think also it's a way of helping people grieve and showing support to people who help protect us. Sometimes a public display is a way of showing we won't be cowed by such attacks.

Anniebach Mon 10-Apr-17 11:06:37

The soldier who was hacked to death outside his barracks ?

The met are arranging the funeral and I am speaking of hundreds of police officers from around to country lining the pavements

rosesarered Mon 10-Apr-17 11:15:36

Well, I have mixed feelings about this too ab as both you and I have police family connections it makes us doubly unsure about the tone of all to do with the Police and this poor man who died.As a matter of fact, the police didn't come out of this very well, for all the police on duty around Westminster, it was only chance that the armed police bodyguards around a Minister as he went into Westminster to vote, were there at all!
The two officers, including the one that died who confronted the man with a knife were unable to stop him, one being stabbed and the other one running off to get help.
All the police on duty should have been armed ( MP's voted that option down some time ago) but will presumably re think it now. All the pomp and ceremony now directed at the officer who died may make his family feel better, but is plastering over the cracks of how poor, up to now that Parliament has actually been protected.

nigglynellie Mon 10-Apr-17 12:26:06

Yes, I agree roses it certainly does bring home the glaring gaps in the way Parliament is protected. Mrs May being hurried first to one car then another was almost unbelievable! A gunman who might well have been previously concealed on a rooftop could easily have killed her. Right old shambles and that's putting it mildly!! As for the funeral, I'm I'm in two minds, I can absolutely see your point of view annie but I suppose this poor chap died defending the H of C, and perhaps that makes a difference I don't really know.

Eloethan Mon 10-Apr-17 12:39:25

I am very sorry about this poor policeman - but also about everyone else who was killed or hurt in this terrible attack. I tend to agree that no-one should be singled out for special mention. I suppose that this is meant to be some sort of morale booster for the population as a whole and is intended to convey a sense of solidarity.

People in all sorts of less high profile jobs put their lives at risk - nurses and social workers come to mind - and their deaths often receive little recognition.

gillybob Mon 10-Apr-17 12:44:58

are you suggesting when your loved ones die you can just flush their ashes down the loo - after all they won't know

That's just plain silly sunseeker. I think you knew that is not what I meant which is the reason for me putting the "honour" in inverted commas. What I meant was "honours" given by the queen and her hangers on (either during life or after death) mean nothing to me and really don't impress me (personally) at all. I would hate my loved ones funeral to be hijacked by politicians and the media.

As I said earlier there are a lot of people who over the years have been killed in the line of duty. (Police, fire, soldiers etc.) Does this mean that the others are less deserving of being "honoured" because they weren't working in London?

paddyann Mon 10-Apr-17 12:50:54

should be the same funerals for all the victims ,the policeman at least was trained for these attacks ,the public weren't.I have police connections too,but I firmly believe they shouldn't be treated differently .The police service is a job they chose ,they know the risks , I dont like all the public grief ,its false and unnecessary,let the family grieve ,they are the people who will live with the loss,not all the thousands jumping on the grief parade that seems to happen more often these days

Anya Mon 10-Apr-17 13:01:44

How can the death and funeral of a comparatively young man, with a young family, cause such division?

For heavens sake, let him rest in peace and may his family find some comfort, somehow.

Ana Mon 10-Apr-17 13:09:18

I agree, Anya.

Abonet Mon 10-Apr-17 13:27:39

It is all about symbolism. Some I think is over the top, especially the parliament stuff.
But a lot of people, including tourists, seem to love it.

TriciaF Mon 10-Apr-17 13:30:41

As above, let him Rest in Peace.
There are questions about the security of the politicians though - maybe for another thread.
ie I read elsewhere that the PM dashed out of the House when the alarm was given, and ran in a panic around the car park looking for her lift. Until she found the right car.

BlueBelle Mon 10-Apr-17 13:43:56

Everyones life is equally important and I agree with the original post I don't understand why this wonderful policeman should be treated any differently to any other person killed on that awful day or any day A nurse is knocked to the ground by a Saturday night drunk and is killed what is the difference her funeral would pass unnoticed
I don't think anyone's funeral should be for tourists or for show or symbolic to boost the government or police