Gransnet forums

News & politics

Why is this not newsworthy?

(109 Posts)
dbDB77 Wed 12-Apr-17 23:37:49

On BBC Look North at 6.30pm this evening they reported on a case that started today in Huddersfield crown court. 27 Asian men and 2 Asian women have been charged with the systematic rape, abuse and trafficking for sexual exploitation of girls as young as 11 in the Kirklees area over a number of years. This was not an item on the main BBC news at 6.00pm. Why not? Have they not learned the lessons of Rotherham? Or does the London-based BBC consider that little girls in the north of England do not count for anything?

Chewbacca Thu 13-Apr-17 08:41:33

That's right gillybob, in fact it was that fear of being percieved as being racist that prevented the police and social workers of dealing with the Rotherham case for 16 years before the perpetrators were actually brought to justice. The race of a rapists/child sex abuser should have no bearing at all as to how the crime is reported or dealt with by the courts.

rosesarered Thu 13-Apr-17 08:46:59

Exactly gillybob this kind of crime is worrying in the extreme, Rotheram, Oxford and now Huddersfield!

Welshwife Thu 13-Apr-17 09:34:58

Do you think more of this type of crime is happening now or is it just that more of it is coming to light and we get to know about it? I often ponder this point and wonder about it.

Anniebach Thu 13-Apr-17 09:51:17

Alleged child sex abusers if the trial only started yesterday.

I think there is a concern about firing racism , the attack on Westminster, the murder of the young immigrant.

Morgana Thu 13-Apr-17 10:27:50

I would hope that it will get maximum coverage at some time. But there seems to be very few items in the TV news these days.

maddyone Thu 13-Apr-17 10:30:02

Good posts gillybob and MawBroon, totally agree.

vampirequeen Thu 13-Apr-17 10:30:20

"When pickpockets are a certain nationality, and you find yourself in a street with some of that nationality around, it would be wise to be extra vigilant about your possessions would it not, dont you think?"

Are all pickpockets a certain nationality? I would have thought it was wise to be vigilant at all times not just when you see people of a 'certain nationality'.

radicalnan Thu 13-Apr-17 10:40:47

I am interested to know what is being done to support these victims..so much fuss about the footballers who reported abuse.

I haven't heard of any specific campaigns to support the Rotherham victims,whereas the footballers have 'Off Side' up and running quite quickly.

I think that poor children are regarded as a natural resource and that needs to stop immediately.

A little news coverage helps because others can come forward if they too were harmed but not too much, innocent until proven guilty is still important.

vampirequeen Thu 13-Apr-17 10:41:32

"I don't think this has anything whatsoever to do with "stoking the fire of racism" as it would appear that some Asian men seem to regard young white girls as "fair game" which must be Stamped out or we will see this kind of thing happening more and more in areas with a high density Asian population."

Why will we see more and more of this in 'areas with a high density Asian populations'?

Asian men are not the only men who see young white girls as "fair game". Perhaps whilst considering these types of cases(regardless of the race of the perpetrators) we should also ask ourselves why these young girls are so vulnerable. Where are their parents/guardians? Why are they out on the streets at all hours of the day and night? Why is no one noticing them?

maddyone Thu 13-Apr-17 10:41:38

It was reported before Christmas that pickpockets 'of a certain nationality' we're operating in and around Oxford Street, London. The nationality was named but I will not name it here. The police were warning shoppers to be vigilant. This is not racist, it is a fact.

Welshwife Thu 13-Apr-17 10:42:01

Well - normally I would agree with youVQ but a few years ago there was a Tv programme about pickpockets in Oxford Street. They had teams of police because it was such a problem. Cameras along the street linked to a control room and officers watching them and a team of undercover police mingling with the crowds. When they saw something the police on the ground were alerted and they arrested the culprit. This operation lasted some time and the overwhelming number of the perpetrators were Eastern European.

It is unfortunate that with this latest case they have already stated nationalities but of course when more details emerge there may well be a mixture of nationalities. I still cannot get my head round the actions of these people. The job of adults is to protect youngsters and children - not to take vantage of their being vulnerable.

Anniebach Thu 13-Apr-17 11:07:55

What has nationality to do with pickpocketers There has always been pickpockets , are we becoming obsessed with the nationality of criminals?

Welshwife Thu 13-Apr-17 11:17:50

No Annie no one is doing that - we are simply discussing news. There are some things which are facts - there were other stories too which are quite true as I saw them myself to do with the way begging was being carried out in London when there was an influx of poor unqualified people. Of course there has always been pickpockets but at certain times there are spikes in the incidence of these crimes and the police take appropriate action to deal with the problem.

Yorkshiregel Thu 13-Apr-17 11:23:34

vampirequeen In a way it does matter what nationality the criminals are. That is so that the police can see if these are individuals or 'people traffickers'. By that I mean are they groups ie a team, or are they individuals acting alone. These people are EVIL no matter where they come from. They only found out that some of these terrorists were British born when they did the stats. That means somehow they were being brain-washed some way in UK and not abroad as was thought.

The BBC tends to report only things that they can make a political point with imo. I do not go to their website anymore. I look at the website 'World News' and then you get a bigger picture of what is happening around the globe. The BBC are getting more and more biased as well towards what the Government of the day is trying to convince us is true. It is more of a propaganda machine these days.

Abonet Thu 13-Apr-17 11:31:38

Do you mean BBC World News?

Yorkshiregel Thu 13-Apr-17 11:31:57

dbDB77 If it hasn't happened 'down south' it hasn't happened at all. That is what it looks like doesn't it. However, when they have been tried they will get their ugly faces in the newspapers. If they show their faces now it might give them an opportunity to say they did not get a fair trial.

Hang 'em high and then deport them if they survive I say!

Yorkshiregel Thu 13-Apr-17 11:42:01

globalnews.ca/world/

Another point that seems to be overlooked. These Asians were supplying the little girls, who was using them? Demand and supply. I think the 'users' should be highlighted and arrested as well.

gillybob Thu 13-Apr-17 11:49:16

Of course they should be named and shamed, but only if/when they are found guilty Yorkshiregel. I agree with your point that if it hasn't happened "down South" then it hasn't happened at all.

In cases such as this they obviously choose the most vulnerable of girls, especially those from poor backgrounds and broken homes. This makes it easy to "groom" the child by showering them with gifts and attention.

I would like to see the users brought to justice too. No demand. No need to supply.

Anniebach Thu 13-Apr-17 11:54:17

I agree that questioning why these children are so vunerable is important, we have read of children in these sbuse cases being supplied with drugs and alcohol , how is this not noticed?

Rosina Thu 13-Apr-17 11:55:23

I heard a chilling report on Radio 4 when the Rotherham horrors were finally revealed. The 'reason' this had happened was evidently because Asian men regard women as second class citizens, and white women as third class 'because of the way they dress and conduct themselves'.

It seem that for certain men with that medieval mentality there would have to be a lobotomy to eradicate thinking of that level of perversion.

Quite how they justify abusing children - no doubt as others have said, just a 'resource'. It really does make you go cold.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 13-Apr-17 11:58:13

Sub judice obviously comes into this but perhaps when it has ended and sentence has been passed or otherwise it will be reported.
Or perhaps not - don't you find that if something hasn't happened in London or the SE it is often ignored? "If it hasn't happened in the SE it hasn't happened" may as well be the mantra of the national news - though I think that has got a bit better in recent years.

Abonet Thu 13-Apr-17 11:59:04

Which nationality Rosina? You cant mean all Asian men. And do you mean Muslim, or one branch of being a Muslim.

Rosina Thu 13-Apr-17 12:20:01

Have I said all Asian men are potential rapists and abusers? I can't see that in my comment. You will see that my view was 'certain men' - not all men - and I have no idea of the religious beliefs of anyone who was convicted - how could I possibly answer that question?

I was also repeating verbatim what was said on the news item at the time. I wondered how long it would take for me to have to clarify.

maddyone Thu 13-Apr-17 12:23:52

I think Rosina meant manyAsian men opposed to all Asian men, and of course Asian people originate from a variety of countries. Of course there are other countries/cultures where women are regarded and treated as second class, Saudi Arabia comes to mind. Unfortunately this attitude often runs alongside a view that white women and girls are third class, and I reiterate that to say this is not racist, merely stating a fact, unpalatable as it may be.

Anniebach Thu 13-Apr-17 12:24:38

Is the age because of culture? Girls in the Middle East often marry at a younger age than sixteen , plus when over sixteen girls leave care