Gransnet forums

News & politics

Why is this not newsworthy?

(109 Posts)
dbDB77 Wed 12-Apr-17 23:37:49

On BBC Look North at 6.30pm this evening they reported on a case that started today in Huddersfield crown court. 27 Asian men and 2 Asian women have been charged with the systematic rape, abuse and trafficking for sexual exploitation of girls as young as 11 in the Kirklees area over a number of years. This was not an item on the main BBC news at 6.00pm. Why not? Have they not learned the lessons of Rotherham? Or does the London-based BBC consider that little girls in the north of England do not count for anything?

absent Fri 14-Apr-17 08:06:14

Do bear in mind that people cannot be prosecuted for any sort of crime, including people trafficking and child sex abuse (or any sort of child abuse because violence and enforced drug addiction are standard weapons in the process) without sufficient evidence. That this awful crime is happening and that the police may know about it doesn't mean that they have solid evidence the the CPS will be willing to take further.

Iam64 Fri 14-Apr-17 09:22:02

Eloethan is correct in saying that many of the young girls being sexually abused and exploited in Rotherham (for example) were seen by agencies as making "lifestyle choices". That issue was a huge part of the problem. 12 and 13 year old boys and girls in residential care are usually there, rather than at home or in foster care because they are resisting the ordinary boundaries parents and carers put in place. We know all teenagers push the boundaries but this group are vulnerable to the extent they have few self care/protection skills. They are targeted by groomers for exactly that reason.
They'll go missing for 3 days or longer, return dirty, distressed, spaced out on drugs and refuse to talk about where they've been. This pattern is repeated. Some of them who claimed to have been driven about the country, given drugs and raped by different groups of men won't be believed. Some have medical examinations, which sadly give no proof of their genuine experience.
I'm not defending the perpetrators or the agencies/families that failed this girls and boys. I'm suggesting it just isn't as simple as so called political correctness stopping investigation of Pakistani Muslim men.

Penstemmon Fri 14-Apr-17 15:32:08

In reply to posts on page 2: Until 1929 girls of 12 and boys of 14 were considered of marriageable age in UK.

Penstemmon Fri 14-Apr-17 15:40:12

I think we should stop arguing about the racial / social profile of paedophiles and accept that individuals and groups, from very many different backgrounds and life experiences, do abuse young people (mainly girls but not exclusively). All is unacceptable, whoever the abusers are & all need to be punished and hopefully helped not to re-offend. It is a very sad situation for an alleged civilised society.

Far better to be looking at the situations that enable these horrific crimes to take place and to work and invest in processes and systems that will prevent it occurring on such a wide scale basis in the future.

Iam64 Fri 14-Apr-17 15:42:44

I've re read my post and want to stress that the
report done by Professor Jay should ensure that the scenario I painted, where bhildre's allegations weren't believed should not happen now.

grannypiper Fri 14-Apr-17 16:29:01

Widespread abuse by Men of Pakistani origin has not just taken place in Northern towns, Oxford, Reading and High Wycombe amongst others have all had the same problem.
My Husbands Step Daughter was being groomed by Pakistani taxi drivers in a south Oxfordshire market town, at the time she was 19 (very immature) and living in a hostel.Thankfully the police found her one night in their company and realised she was at risk. They police told us it is very common in that town for the taxi drivers to start grooming young girls.

Aslemma Fri 14-Apr-17 18:29:17

I have noticed a tendency not to specifically rate all Asian men as rapists but to call most of Moslems. Ignoring religious texts from the Koran regardimg the treatment of women, or the cultural beliefs of certain sections of that society, there are plenty of Asians who are not Moslems but Hindu, Christian, Buddhists, Jews and Atheists,, there are also many non-Asian men and women who are Moslem.

Penstemmon Sat 15-Apr-17 12:09:41

Umm..I do not consider any man who grooms girls /rapes. assaults etc etc has any true religious faith! Jimmy Saville was supposed to be a good Catholic but I do not consider him a representative of the Catholic faith any more than the number of abusive Catholic priests were/are.

It seems that a particular group of men have formed a despicable network, possibly through work as minicab drivers, to groom vulnerable girls and it has become a dreadful 'trade'. It needs to be stopped whoever is involved. We should not be tiptoeing around it but dealing with it. It would be easier to deal with head on if the sections of the media did not fuel up anti-Muslim rhetoric in their reporting. These are evil men, the fact they come from a particular section of society is irrelevant in the case against them..as is any prosecution of non Muslim abusers..of which there are also far too many.