Gransnet forums

News & politics

Turkey Referendum

(38 Posts)
POGS Sun 16-Apr-17 11:11:56

I think today's Turkey Referendum is one of the greatest concerns in politics today, anybody else?

Erdogan is double headed and if today's vote goes in his favour then I honestly believe Turkey will see the end of democracy and bring about a dictatorship.

Erdogan is a dangerous dictator in the waiting and I for one hope he looses the referendum which is set to give him the Presidential Power to override the democracy Turkey has in place.

I don't think there will be any chance Erdogan will not win and it will be a case of watch this space. Will he take Turkey towards Russia / Syria / Iran or will he hold with NATO and the West?

The Kurds must be very worried if he gains Presidential Power over the Turkish Parliament, not only them but Judges, Intellectual Elite and those who oppose him.

I just hope the Referendum has been held fairly but I don't even believe that could happen with Erdogan. I truly hope I have the wrong opinion of Erdogan but I fear for not only Turkeys future but the games Turkey will play politically on the World stage if he achieves his aim of his dominance over democracy.

Ilovecheese Mon 17-Apr-17 16:06:19

Petra So you mean there are lots of people in Turkey who would like a strict islamist sort of society? or is it more that they have been bribed?

petra Mon 17-Apr-17 16:51:36

ilovecheese
I can only speak for myself, but I think, yes, the more extreme form of Islam is on the rise.
As to bribing: if someone builds your town, village a new road, school, hospital and then asks for your vote ( in a very nice way smile you would be a fool to refuse. After all, what have you got to loose, your life is crap so it's a win win

TerriBull Mon 17-Apr-17 16:53:54

I think I read somewhere that he has raised the standard of living for the very poorest in Turkey and therefore has the masses on side. I haven't been there, but I imagine from everything I read there is a sophisticated, westernised aspect in citities such as Istanbul, but time has probably stood still in the more rural areas and I suspect there is a disconnect between the two factions. Some who would like to be part of a western democracy and join the EU and a majority who would wish to remain entrenched in a strict Islamist theocracy.

nigglynellie Mon 17-Apr-17 17:19:32

Having seen countries to the East of them in turmoil for the sake of so called democracy, perhaps certain sections of Turkish society feel they will be safer and more stable under a dictatorship? For them democracy equals years of instability, enormous hardship with no end in sight, and with constant interference from other countries. After all so long as you tow the party line you should be fine, and all most people want is to get on with their lives in peace, however that is achieved. A fact that we in the democratic West simply fail to understand.

rosesarered Mon 17-Apr-17 17:26:53

At least the people were able to vote on this matter ( which is something) Erdogan does seem very popular.Who knows if they made the right choice though, democracy and being able to vote politicians out, is a wonderful thing.

Cherrytree59 Mon 17-Apr-17 17:29:27

I wonder if Turkey had been allowed to join the EU things may have been different.

varian Mon 17-Apr-17 17:51:11

Sorry roses, the Turkish people are probably not going to be allowed to vote Erdogan out until 2029. Who knows what might have changed by then?

Ilovecheese Mon 17-Apr-17 18:13:22

Petra Terribull Nigglynellie
Yes, I suppose that must be it. Maybe we would do the same in their position.

petra Mon 17-Apr-17 18:46:37

TerriBull
That's true. He has done an awful lot for the poor and uneducated. Is it just a coincidence that these are the people who want an Islamic state. He knew exactly who he had to win over. As I said before this has been the plan since he was mayor of Istanbul.
I think he's been playing the eu. If by some fluke he was accepted to join that was a bonus, if he didn't he's where he is now

petra Mon 17-Apr-17 18:48:45

Exactly ilovecheese When you ain't got nothing, you've got nothing to loose.

Eloethan Mon 17-Apr-17 19:16:18

I like Turkey very much and had some lovely holidays there. The people were extremely nice.

Erdogan is apparently popular because he has lifted millions of people out of poverty - improving, housing, health, education, etc. That is admirable and it is perhaps understandable that he has so much support.

However, I'm sad and worried that what was once a secular country is now changing and seems to be less tolerant of a variety of beliefs, opinions and lifestyles.

POGS Mon 17-Apr-17 21:04:59

All that's fine but don't forget the fact Erdogan has 'detained' tens of thousands of people, sacked thousands of people and wants to bring back the death penalty. Lord know what happened to those whom he accused of taking part in the Military Coup against him, not all are known of their whereabouts if I am not mistaken, happy to be told differently.

He now has 'total' control over the Parliament , he will shortly have the powers of a Dictator. Erdogan is so far refusing to accept there is cause for concern over the procedures for the ballot/vote and it's outcome , from 'any' source not just the Opposition Parties.

Erdogan has since taken the Presidency shown he has is prepared to use his power and ' influence ' to 'detain' those who oppose him so far. His reason for ultimate power is to take Turkey back to a hard line Muslim Nation and he has never been in favour of a Secular Turkey.

Erdogan may well not do it over night but it obvious he has a calculated plan and he now has achieved his goal.

If Erdogan wanted to be seen as being 'above board' he would surely be concerned to allay the concerns coming from various quarters as to how the referendum was held and the subsequent vote count and accusations of vote rigging.