News & politics

Should I vote Labour

(1001 Posts)
whitewave Tue 25-Apr-17 13:05:46

This has been donated by nikkiw

Statement of intent not the manifesto

1. Reverse the cut in corporation tax saving £64bn over the parliamentary cycle
2£10 minimum wage for all over 18s
3. 17% rise in unpaid farmers allowance (exrea £500 pa) - paid by reversing the Inheritance Tax cut.
4. Renationalise railways as the franchises lapse
5. Stop NHS private contracts. Phase out existing private contracts thus saving 3.5bn - 5bn at present going as profit to the private health companies
6. Build 200k homes a year. Half from the private sector and half council homes by giving LAs the power to borrow against assets. This should ensure that 12bn housing benefit bill at present going into private landlords pockets should gradually fall.
7. 4 new public holidays
8. End zero- hours jobs by guaranteeing a contract for all workers on regular hours.
9 Ban any company from tendering for government contracts if they are based in an off shore tax haven and pay their CEO more tha £350k pa
10 stop the opening of new free schools and grammars
11 Stop sweetheart deLs between HMRC and bug corps. All large companies should publish their tax returns
12 Eradicate gender pay gap
13 cut business rates by £1.5bn
14 End the practice by large corps, of taking longer than the accepted 28 days to pay SMEs

whitewave Tue 25-Apr-17 21:00:25

Oh is that when I called pogs a pedant rose? Insult seems to be over egging the pudding a bit.

Anniebach Tue 25-Apr-17 21:00:48

I have a civil comment please Miss Rosesarered - hand in air .

Corbyn has sent mails to members asking them what they thought should be in the manifesto so, is this thread to find the most and least popular of the suggestions shich have been put forward ?

durhamjen Tue 25-Apr-17 21:04:16

Number 14 is interesting, as I have just been reading that councils on average take 38 days to pay customers.
It's good that there should be a 28 day limit. Why is it not being enforced already?

Ana Tue 25-Apr-17 21:05:39

roses your post is very similar to mine on the Should I vote Conservative thread - what on earth is the point apart from an opportunity for anti-tories to voice their already well-aired views...hmm?

durhamjen Tue 25-Apr-17 21:07:59

I like number 11, as well, whitewave.
I presume you mean the big corps, and not the bug corps.
Or did you think this was the Green Party thread?

rosesarered Tue 25-Apr-17 21:11:21

'For goodness sake, is pedantry your middle name POGS' and 'honestly POGS you really are the limit at times' !!
ww..... that is civil is it? I rest my case.
ab grin..... who knows?

rosesarered Tue 25-Apr-17 21:12:55

Exactly Ana

whitewave Tue 25-Apr-17 21:15:04

grin my typing is terrible.

28 days is accepted practice in business but little business supplying large companies are held over a barrel by these large companies on whose custom they depend. Some small businesses have real cash flow problems and often end up having to arrange a loan to be able to function,

whitewave Tue 25-Apr-17 21:17:29

Sweet heart deals have been taking place for ever. Big companies must have got away with billions over the years it is time it was stopped. HMRC know the culprits so it isn't difficult to do.

durhamjen Tue 25-Apr-17 21:20:26

That happened to me once with Nestle. I had someone from Switzerland staying for a couple of weeks, with his wife.
When I asked for my money, by sending another invoice just in case the first one had got lost, the accounts department got quite shirty - after all, it was only two months late!

durhamjen Tue 25-Apr-17 21:23:32

" To scrap the Brexit white paper and negotiate with an emphasis on “retaining the benefits” of the single market and customs union;
To “unilaterally” guarantee existing rights for all EU nationals;
Drop the Tories’ Great Repeal Bill and replace it with an EU Rights and Protections Bill."

Three more reasons to vote Labour, spelled out by Keir Starmer today.

durhamjen Tue 25-Apr-17 21:25:25

"Where Theresa May wants to shut down scrutiny and challenge, Labour will welcome it. We will work with parliament, not against it. Because on an issue of this importance the government can’t hide from the public or parliament. A Labour approach to Brexit means legislating to guarantee that parliament has a truly meaningful vote on the final Brexit deal.”

Fitzy54 Tue 25-Apr-17 21:47:03

What KS won't give away is labours stance on freedom of movement. The Tories Brexit strategy is as soft as a cushion- apart from FOM where it solidifies. Unless and until labour make their position clear on that we really can't take any reliable view on what they are after

durhamjen Tue 25-Apr-17 21:55:45

Keir Starmer's full speech. Brilliant.

inews.co.uk/essentials/news/politics/keir-starmer-sets-labours-plan-brexit-speech-full/

whitewave Tue 25-Apr-17 21:56:19

KS I thought made it clear today. I understood that he stated Labour would like to see continued immigration - but only for people who have a job to go to. Sounds really sensible to me as it answers business needs as 1 in 5 are dependent on EU migrants, and London takes in something like 30000 a year

POGS Tue 25-Apr-17 22:09:53

" To scrap the Brexit white paper and negotiate with an emphasis on “retaining the benefits” of the single market and customs union;

I watched the Keir Starmer speech in full on Sky News today.

What a load of twaddle . Contradicted himself several times.

So Keir Starmer says Labour will negotiate staying in the Single Market and Customs Union. HOW?. Does Labour /Starmer have a way of 'Cherry Picking' because Donald Tusk, Junker, Holland's, Merkel ,Old Uncle Tom Cobley and all have stated to Theresa May when she said that's what she wanted 'She cannot Cherry Pick' , 'There is NO negotiation on the Free Movement of People'. How many times has that been repeated?

Keir Starmer / Labour state:-

Free Movement of People 'HAS TO END'

Free Movement of People 'RULED OUT AS IT IS'.

Freedom of Movement will have to have 'NEW IMMIGRATION RULES'.

Keir Starmer has basically made a speech repeating what Theresa May ' initially ' said she hoped / was looking for in negotiations between the UK and the EU. She was totally rebuffed .

Sorry Starmer but your words were hollow you cannot achieve what May could not achieve. The Freedom of Movement is one of the 4 pillars as far as the European Union, Single Market and Custom Union is concerned and you and Labour have said the Free Movement of People 'HAS TO END'.

Time will tell how the negotiations go but it will be a miracle if the European Union changes it's stance.

durhamjen Wed 26-Apr-17 07:34:49

Yes, if you don't want the NHS to get worse.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-39711133

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-39702976?intlink_from_url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/topics/90a7bae1-8eda-4f6d-b2fe-41a301a93ebb/nhs&link_location=live-reporting-story

Fitzy54 Wed 26-Apr-17 07:43:15

I agree KS has now given more information on immigration. As far as I can see he says we have to have some controls but we could allow EUnationals with jobs to come in. Sounds good to me.

whitewave Wed 26-Apr-17 07:52:59

I thought Sir Keir made eminent sense.

He recognised that we will be unable to get everything that we want, but his negotiating stance is diametrically opposite to Mays.

Clearly Labours position in the negotiation will be to safeguard British jobs, protect our rights and living standards
In fact as you so rightly recognised pogs his position at first glance seems much like the Tories stance.
There are quite distinct differences though. He rejects using EU nationals as bargaining chips. He also clearly outlined Labours position on immigration. Free movement will cease. Of course it will, the day we leave. Sir Keir then went on to recognise that without a goodly supply of essential and particular labour, our businesses and economy together with our public services would really struggle, so the sensible conclusion was drawn. Britain will allow those Europeans in who have sought and obtained a job to come to. Simples!!

Another area from which he was quite different to May is that Labour will ensure that the Brexit timetable allows for a return to Brussels if, after Parliamentary scrutiny (democratic process) Parliament rejects certain areas. He can alwYs of course invoke clause 3 of the Article. And I would hope any sensible government would.

To crash and burn as the Tories suggest is the height of folly and is playing fast and loose with our grandchildrens future.

Anniebach Wed 26-Apr-17 08:55:45

I thought the labour leader supported free movement

whitewave Wed 26-Apr-17 10:05:23

No annie look at what Sir Keir said. It is so sensible and reasoned.

Anniebach Wed 26-Apr-17 10:17:33

So the man of dubious principles has changed his mind? Did he say yet again - with hindsight I was wrong?

whitewave Wed 26-Apr-17 10:26:09

Blimey you don't give up do yougrin Your headline banners say "Vote Tory, you know I'm making sense!!!!!"

Jalima1108 Wed 26-Apr-17 10:30:07

Well, we have to have a balance whitewave grin

Anniebach Wed 26-Apr-17 10:30:34

No I don't give up, have always fought against dishonesty and hypocrisy and have never been able to dismiss betrayal, and have never been able to support capitalism or communism ,

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion