News & politics

Should I vote Labour

(1000 Posts)
whitewave Tue 25-Apr-17 13:05:46

This has been donated by nikkiw

Statement of intent not the manifesto

1. Reverse the cut in corporation tax saving £64bn over the parliamentary cycle
2£10 minimum wage for all over 18s
3. 17% rise in unpaid farmers allowance (exrea £500 pa) - paid by reversing the Inheritance Tax cut.
4. Renationalise railways as the franchises lapse
5. Stop NHS private contracts. Phase out existing private contracts thus saving 3.5bn - 5bn at present going as profit to the private health companies
6. Build 200k homes a year. Half from the private sector and half council homes by giving LAs the power to borrow against assets. This should ensure that 12bn housing benefit bill at present going into private landlords pockets should gradually fall.
7. 4 new public holidays
8. End zero- hours jobs by guaranteeing a contract for all workers on regular hours.
9 Ban any company from tendering for government contracts if they are based in an off shore tax haven and pay their CEO more tha £350k pa
10 stop the opening of new free schools and grammars
11 Stop sweetheart deLs between HMRC and bug corps. All large companies should publish their tax returns
12 Eradicate gender pay gap
13 cut business rates by £1.5bn
14 End the practice by large corps, of taking longer than the accepted 28 days to pay SMEs

POGS Tue 25-Apr-17 13:24:10

" This has been donated by nikkiw"

How unusual for a thread to start as such , that denotes you have either asked her/his permission or she/he has asked you start a thread on her/his behalf.

whitewave Tue 25-Apr-17 13:36:28

Yes

whitewave Tue 25-Apr-17 13:36:59

But not sure if your point.

Ana Tue 25-Apr-17 13:44:51

These threads are a silly idea anyway IMO. They'll just attract enthusiastic posts from supporters and a bit of quibbling about minor points.

Why can't you wait for the proper manifestos, whitewave?

whitewave Tue 25-Apr-17 13:50:10

ana I am but in the mean time I'm bunging in any information that is available that people might like to read. That is all it is. Just information. You have a choice to read it or ignore it, I am totally neutral about that.

Luckygirl Tue 25-Apr-17 13:52:36

Is there anything in there to disagree with?

POGS Tue 25-Apr-17 13:55:45

My point is I find it unusual for 'threads' to be started by the OP asking for permission from a poster or by presumably PM'ing them to ask for permission.

You will not agree with me, obviously , but I am plain speaking and I am wondering about your starting threads by such an unusual manner.

I know we have obviously posters who have stated they are !'Activists' but I just find this for some reason rather odd.

As I say you and others will feel differently but I have said my piece.

whitewave Tue 25-Apr-17 14:09:05

For goodness sake is pedantry your middle name pogs

I started it the way I did in order that everyone recognised that it was not my research that contributed to the thread but someone else's

Honestly pogs you really are the limit at times

MawBroon Tue 25-Apr-17 14:11:32

Why doesn't nikkiw start a thread herself ? confused

POGS Tue 25-Apr-17 14:33:41

Whitewave

"For goodness sake is pedantry your middle name pogs".

No it's not! Just sick of GN becoming more and more a platform for Activists.

I remember when I first joined GN a few years ago how many posters were at the time openly stating they were Activists, there are many on of the same posters on GN still today.

Gransnet was a right royal battle at times but there was ' for the most part ' an unspoken need to respect how others voted, challenged posts and NOT overtly using Gransnet for such blatant Activism as I have noted for quite a while now.

I know I will come in for a further barrage of personal insult, such as you reduced yourself to doing, it's become par for the course.

Perhaps it is the way technology has progressed with the use of links, fake news etc. but I make no apology for saying what is on my mind. If that is pedantry in your opinion , that is your opinion.

FarNorth Tue 25-Apr-17 14:41:12

Perhaps nikkiw is happy to provide the information but doesn't want to get involved in discussion?
What's the problem?

POGS Tue 25-Apr-17 14:49:55

Nikki W has already been involved in discussion, already shown happy to engage in discussion.

The same 14 points were put up on a post on the Voting Quandary thread by him/her.

whitewave Tue 25-Apr-17 15:46:21

From the Labour Web site

Labour will keep the triple lock on pensions
Labour will repeal the Trade Union Act.

paddyann Tue 25-Apr-17 15:52:46

the more information available the better ,in my opinion.After all isn't it the older generation who is getting blamed for the mess we are in with Brexit...maybe some can learn other views than their own before marking their X

whitewave Tue 25-Apr-17 16:13:38

Oh! Item 3 is unpaid carers allowance and not farmersgrin

Jalima1108 Tue 25-Apr-17 16:29:07

Honestly pogs you really are the limit at times
grin

Keep going POGS!!
(Someone has to)

Jalima1108 Tue 25-Apr-17 16:31:26

I wondered why farmers were getting a 17% deal
and thought 'about time too'
The supermarkets need to give them a fairer deal and 17% is a good start.

Fitzy54 Tue 25-Apr-17 16:31:47

What??? Nothing at all for the unpaid farmers??

Jalima1108 Tue 25-Apr-17 16:34:02

What about the suggested VAT on private school fees to pay for school dinners across the state system?

whitewave Tue 25-Apr-17 16:41:00

I am only reporting what there is on the web site. If you know different please do let us know.

Ana Tue 25-Apr-17 16:42:57

Oh yes, that one. They're probably wishing they hadn't come up with it now after all the flak...

Jalima1108 Tue 25-Apr-17 16:45:48

The same as I said on the Conservative thread:
They can all say what they want though - achieving much of it when in government is the difficult part.

rosesarered Tue 25-Apr-17 20:54:46

All these why should I vote blah blah started by ww will just all become a way for the left wing on GN to state their reasons why they hate the Tories ( which I have already heard on here, many many, wearying times.)grin
There will be ( have already been) insults ( by ww to POGS ) and there will be many more before we are done.There is no hope of civil comment on a single one of these threads.

FarNorth Tue 25-Apr-17 20:57:37

Do you have any points to make for or against voting Labour, roses?

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion