News & politics

Should I vote Labour

(1001 Posts)
whitewave Tue 25-Apr-17 13:05:46

This has been donated by nikkiw

Statement of intent not the manifesto

1. Reverse the cut in corporation tax saving £64bn over the parliamentary cycle
2£10 minimum wage for all over 18s
3. 17% rise in unpaid farmers allowance (exrea £500 pa) - paid by reversing the Inheritance Tax cut.
4. Renationalise railways as the franchises lapse
5. Stop NHS private contracts. Phase out existing private contracts thus saving 3.5bn - 5bn at present going as profit to the private health companies
6. Build 200k homes a year. Half from the private sector and half council homes by giving LAs the power to borrow against assets. This should ensure that 12bn housing benefit bill at present going into private landlords pockets should gradually fall.
7. 4 new public holidays
8. End zero- hours jobs by guaranteeing a contract for all workers on regular hours.
9 Ban any company from tendering for government contracts if they are based in an off shore tax haven and pay their CEO more tha £350k pa
10 stop the opening of new free schools and grammars
11 Stop sweetheart deLs between HMRC and bug corps. All large companies should publish their tax returns
12 Eradicate gender pay gap
13 cut business rates by £1.5bn
14 End the practice by large corps, of taking longer than the accepted 28 days to pay SMEs

Anniebach Fri 12-May-17 10:52:02

I couldn't possibly comment durhamjen, my opinion counts for nothing against certain little englanders .

durhamjen Fri 12-May-17 10:53:31

Fitzy, we subsidise the railways as it is. We pay private companies to give profits to shareholders.

charts.dft.gov.uk/dft-business-plan/indicators/#07

When the Eastcoast mainline was owned by the government, the profits went to the government. That's a much better idea.

durhamjen Fri 12-May-17 10:56:04

Who is a little Englander on here?
Quite a few people being criticised by that, but fortunately not me, as I am definitely European.
Any other Europeans on GN?

Fitzy54 Fri 12-May-17 10:56:18

WW - should have said I certainly wasn't aiming my shot at you. Apologies if it seemed a little close!?

GracesGranMK2 Fri 12-May-17 11:00:24

Is it possible that your own negativity about Labour currently be affecting those you are phoning Annie?

Fitzy54 Fri 12-May-17 11:00:29

DJ, I'm a Londoner, an Englander, British, European, and of course a citizen of the world!?

rosesarered Fri 12-May-17 11:03:54

Manifestos are shopping lists of things a political party would like to do.Once in power they see that they can't possibly achieve some/many of them without borrowing eye watering amounts of money.
Labour seem to have put out a manifesto that would be impossible to cling to in practice.
Not only 'no tuition fees' ( brought in by the last Labour government because they wanted 50% of young people to attend Unis, madness!) but giving maintenance grants as well, to all, presumably.
Things that had been nationalised before were privatised simply because they were so ineffective and strike prone.

Anniebach Fri 12-May-17 11:07:53

Here in Wales we consider anyone in England who tries to tell us how to think , what to say and how insignificant we are to England to be little englanders. We accept it's in their blood, thsnkfully they are a dying breed but there are still a few.

whitewave Fri 12-May-17 11:10:42

rose I think you might be interested in reading the link put on by dj just above where I said "I didn't know that"

GracesGranMK2 Fri 12-May-17 11:12:29

Daphne, she is aware and concerned but an FE college is no place to work these days - or rather hers certainly isn't. She is looking at the Universities but she went into teaching from a very well paid career in the corporate world because she believes in FE and the alternative courses to those coming from a pure academic stance. Of course degrees have changed and are changing and many of the pre 1992 Unis (the old polys) are offering interestingly structured courses and most Uni's are influenced now by the new funding and the fact that students see themselves as customers and have different expectations to the students of the past.

At the moment she is up to her eyes with a job, a business and a Masters so this is more research than fact but time flys and she will have to either stay and make the best of her job (which she will - she is very positive) or find out if something else is a better fit.

Anniebach Fri 12-May-17 11:12:37

www.scottishlabour.org.uk/

They do not exist

angelab Fri 12-May-17 11:14:18

durhamjen couldn't agree with you more - after the referendum I realised the reason it upset me personally was because I consider myself European (as well as British) and it was like half my nationality had been taken away...

gillybob Fri 12-May-17 11:15:09

From what I understand, owners of small businesses (which often don't have shareholders) can leave money in the business rather than take an income. They then take dividends or pay into pension schemes,so avoid income tax and NICs

I wish daphnedill !

Why do people always seem to look at anyone in business with suspicion.

I'ts okay for you, you've got your own business.(I would give anything for DH and I to work for someone else)

It must be nice to get cash in hand. (we only work business to business so no cash, ever)

I bet you have a nice house (we sold our last house to put the money into the business, now live in a 2 bedroom terrace)

I bet you have a nice fat pension to look forward to (ha ha see above..... the bit we had has all gone into the business and DH at 65 will probably get to retire when they take him out of the factory in his coffin)

I bet you get away with paying tax and NI (like how? you can't fiddle PAYE can you?)

I bet you get a nice bonus (where from? we just about keep manage to keep the doors open and the bills paid)

I HATE the way people assume you are in business so you are bloody well Richard Branson or Alan Sugar angry

durhamjen Fri 12-May-17 11:16:23

A citizen of the world, eh, Fitzy?
A global citizen is a citizen of nowhere.
Who said that?

Anniebach Fri 12-May-17 11:16:30

www.welshlabour.wales/

They do not exist

Anniebach Fri 12-May-17 11:18:16

Well said gilly,

Anniebach Fri 12-May-17 11:19:28

Oooops, those who are on PAYE can fiddle tax and NIC, cash in hand

GracesGranMK2 Fri 12-May-17 11:19:31

Was going to say the same thing to Roses whitewave. Here is the link Jen put on Roses

I think it makes it very clear that, whatever your unfounded personal opinion is of any manifesto, they put things in because they cannot be stopped from doing them if they choose to do so.

Give us facts Roses - why do you think the abolition of tuition fees is madness? You just saying you feel that does not make it so - it is just an empty opinion.

durhamjen Fri 12-May-17 11:21:27

This is what being a global citizen means.

www.globalcitizen.org/take-action/

Anniebach Fri 12-May-17 11:21:57

Rosesarered, please, please don't swamp threads with links or google and paste, keep posting your opinions

gillybob Fri 12-May-17 11:22:42

Where does the "cash in hand" come from Anniebach? if you only ever deal in direct payments business to business? I don't know how I could persuade one of our (very large volume manufacturers) customers to pay us in a white envelope shoved under the table.

GracesGranMK2 Fri 12-May-17 11:23:00

Definitely me Jen. I have shouted to the winds quite frequently recently that "I want my identity back". I am happily British but I am also European and hold what has been done since the war, although flawed (and what isn't|)in high esteem.

Elegran Fri 12-May-17 11:29:12

gillybob - I think you are speaking to thin air. Those who should be listening are too busy creating Utopia with no invoices. It is entrenched in myth that there are two distinct breeds, employees and employers, and all the employees are overworked, underpaid and exploited by greedy billionaire bosses while all the employers are living on caviare and champagne in their marble mansions, bought cash down with direct tax-less payments for the work done by their starving NI-less workforce while the bosses put their feet up in the executive boardroom with a cigar and a whisky.

Anniebach Fri 12-May-17 11:29:39

Gilly, many who are employed work for cash in hand, in the building trade it's a big problem, we have to give quotes, estimates, invoices, jobbers undercut us because they charge less , no tax or NIC to pay , just a wink and take the cash

rosesarered Fri 12-May-17 11:30:20

My personal opinion may be founded or unfounded, but it's exactly that, my opinion.
I did not say that the abolition of tuition fees was madness ( read it again.)
Tuition fees were brought in by the last Labour government but it was madness to expect that 50% of young people were up to going to University. So tuition fees for all were then required to fit that scenario.
The frightening thing about this manifesto is that it would require far too much money to make it happen and not lose businesses and investment.
I can't imagine that Labour will win the GE so hope Corbyns plans never come to fruition.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion