Gransnet forums

News & politics

May - a strong woman to be trusted?

(50 Posts)
whitewave Wed 26-Apr-17 09:29:26

So in the interest of balance, I thought we ought to explore Mays character in the same way that we are doing for Corbyn.

First of all trust.

Do you trust someone who since taking office promised that it was simply not in the national interest to have a snap election

Do you trust someone who talked about the just managing and has done absolutely nothing for these folk

Do you trust someone who tried to close down Parliamentary democracy, and had to be defeated in the courts in order to secure our democratic processes at vast expense to the tax payer

Do you trust someone who is intent on negotiating Brexit without a meaningful vote at the end of these negotiations that flies in the face of democracy

Do you trust someone whose term in office to date has shown no real aptitude at policy making.

Do you trust someone whose instinct is to keep every card close to her chest, just as she did the election, without discussion.

Now to strength

Strength is in the ability to argue your corner. Mays refusal to take part in the election debate doesn't point to strength

Strength is in the ability to be confident in your beliefs and to be able to proselytise to the voting public. May is just the opposite. She doesn't even share with her cabinet

Strength is the ability to accomplish your goals, May never achieved her goal on immigration.

Strength is the ability to show empathy with those with whom you wish to negotiate, and be confident in your case. May could not have got off to a worse start with the EU. She antagonised them from day one, and has shown weakness is backtracking on her original stance.

Luckygirl Wed 26-Apr-17 09:45:41

So...you don't like her then!? grin

Well neither do I!

Ana Wed 26-Apr-17 09:47:29

Just another Tory-bashing thread...sigh

Teetime Wed 26-Apr-17 09:47:50

Balance- I think its an attack. I don't vote conservative but this is not balance.

Cindersdad Wed 26-Apr-17 09:56:42

When TM first become PM I felt that she was the best option. Amongst the Conservatives she probably still is. However despite her saying how she cares about the Just About Managing, The United Kingdom she is sounding less and less convincing.

However with a bigger majority they Tories cannot be trusted anymore than a Labour Majority could be trusted despite JC saying many of the right things.

The Lib. Dems. know that they will not be likely to form a government so can be more honest than the two main parties simply because they cannot break promises they sre not in a position to keep. Having been stitched up by the Tories in the 2010-15 Coalition they will never again enter into such an arrangement. An increased LD presence could be a moderating influence.

UKIP told so many lies in the Referendum Campaign that they must surely have been well and truly rumbled. If they do achieve any success at the general election it will be a protest vote by the disaffected; showing a dangerously divided society

whitewave Wed 26-Apr-17 10:01:24

No of course it isn't balance, and neither is the Corbyn thread. That is where the balance comes in.

As far as another Tory bashing thread ana you are perfectly at liberty and of course you do Bash Labour whenever you get the chance. The shame is that none of the Tory supporters on here are willing to give a thoughtful reasoned supporting post about why one should vote Tory.

Ana Wed 26-Apr-17 10:06:50

whitewave the Corbyn thread is made up of a lot of posts from various posters with differing views on Corbyn.

You've just given one of your anti-May speeches and more or less dared anyone to contradict you. What's the point? You know you'll be backed up by your cronies.

whitewave Wed 26-Apr-17 10:08:04

Then why don't you post on here supporting May giving reasons why you disagree? All you do is moan.

Anniebach Wed 26-Apr-17 10:13:57

Not true Whitewave, I started the Corbyn thread and have not listed his betrayals, no mention of traingate , betrayal,of party members, support for the IRA and Hamas whilst claiming to be a pacifist and spouting nothing can be gained by weapons l

You have started four threads to praise Corbyn and attack the other leaders , don't do a Corbyn, one hypocrite is enough thanks

Jane10 Wed 26-Apr-17 10:24:24

I like Theresa May and think she's our best option to lead the country into the Brexit (that I and many others didn't want!)
We're stuck with it and have to make the best if it. I like the way she didn't take any nonsense from the Sturgeon woman.

daphnedill Wed 26-Apr-17 10:27:11

1 I hate May's voice. She's not using her diaphragm to breathe properly and her muscles are tense. She should sign up for public speaking lessons. Her voice makes her sound as though she doesn't believe what's she's saying. (I wonder why.)

2 GNers can award themselves a choccy biccy for every time she uses one of her alliterative soundbites (Brexit means Brexit, Strong and Stable, Coalition of Chaos) - and then go on a diet after the election.

3 I thought the aim of her party was to CONSERVE, so why has she forgotten about JAMs?

4 She was the best of a bad bunch, when she became leader, but that's not saying much.

I disagree with you about her not saying anything or wishing to take part in a debate. It's being suggested that it's a ploy to give Labour enough rope to hang themselves (metaphorically). Personally, I don't like the debates anyway.

henetha Wed 26-Apr-17 10:29:20

I would rather have Mrs.May in charge than Mr.Corbyn, any time.

sunseeker Wed 26-Apr-17 10:30:39

dd - don't you think if TM took public speaking lessons she would be mocked as was Margaret Thatcher?

whitewave Wed 26-Apr-17 10:33:39

Oh! annie you've just mentioned them was that a mistake.

I have started thread in support of Labour, how many have you started?

daphnedill Wed 26-Apr-17 10:35:10

Nope, I think she'd learn to speak properly without her voice cracking.

Anniebach Wed 26-Apr-17 10:40:30

Not a mistake Whitewave, when I make a mistake I apologise .

I cannot start a thread on labour, there should be one on the communism but Corbhn hasn't change the title from labour to communist - yet

whitewave Wed 26-Apr-17 10:42:21

annie this argument needs to be taken to the Corbyn thread

GracesGranMK2 Wed 26-Apr-17 10:49:47

There is strong and strong when it comes to leadership. May has stood on a platform of strong leadership but strength of the dictator who think they know best for all is not what I want and it seems to be less and less what populations want.

Strength to discuss is what I would prefer, as well as strength to listen. Strength to reach a decision on the facts even if it doesn't fit with the ideology you preach is another.

Talking the talk is one thing but the simplistic idea that if the banks and big business are doing well then so is the economy shows someone who is strong for the strong but ignores the weak.

Anniebach Wed 26-Apr-17 10:50:22

Whitewave,you brought Corbyn into this thread , now you want to silence mention of him.

whitewave Wed 26-Apr-17 10:54:55

No annie as it's your only topic of conversation I suppose you may as well talk about him on here as you do on every single other thread. I prefer to talk about my children's future and what will happen with a huge right wing Tory dictatorship.
If you accept that Labour are not going to win with Corbyn then as far as you are concerned it is a done deal, but the least you could do is now turn your attention to trying to mitigate the harm that will be done by the sort of leader May is turning out to be.
But you won't because you have turned your dislike of Corbyn into an obsession.

TriciaF Wed 26-Apr-17 11:36:06

Don't you think that the stance she takes on various issues are dictated by various 'advisers'? She verbalises them, or reads a speech from notes.
I thought most PMs were just a mouthpiece.

varian Wed 26-Apr-17 11:54:07

Theresa May is extremely focussed and hardworking. She looks the part. She may be strong in the sense of controlling but that is close to bullying and in reality is a weakness. She does not seem to listen, lacks empathy and the willingness to compromise, so essential for a good negotiator.

She often tells us she is a person of faith, her father was a vicar, yet her policies are very unchristian. That type of sanctimonious hypocracy is so unattractive.

As to whether we can trust her, she says one thing and does another. I think Yvette Cooper answered that question when she asked her directly "why should anyone believe a word you say?"

yggdrasil Wed 26-Apr-17 11:58:02

Her PMQs are terrible. She never replies to the question, just says 'my Right Hon Friend is causing chaos' or words to the same effect. All the baying from behind seems to back her up, but then, that's public schoolboys for you, they are lost without Nanny grin

Anniebach Wed 26-Apr-17 12:17:32

Let's be fair, baying comes from all side, I can't all labour MP's are public school boys ,

sunseeker Wed 26-Apr-17 12:18:49

varian - could not the same question be put to Yvette Cooper? She and Ed both said they would take in refugees - has she done that, if she has I haven't heard anything about it. I follow my grandfather's advice, you can tell when ANY politician is lying because their lips are moving smile. I think all politicians have three priorities, first their own ambition, second their party and third the electorate. As I have said previously I have no political allegience to any party (although my father was up until his later years a staunch labour supporter and union activist).