Gransnet forums

News & politics

May the Forth be with you

(33 Posts)
Granny23 Thu 04-May-17 13:22:21

Hope everyone will vote in the Local Elections today and will use their vote/s to elect genuine local candidates rather than Party Placepersons with little interest in local services. These local Elections are not about Brexit, Independence or Unionism, nor a precursor to the GE. It is important to choose the best people to oversee and manage our essential local services.

I had not realised that the local election structure in England/Wales was so complicated until I read a report from Electoral Reform urging a change to STV and showing how successful STV has been since it was adopted nationwide in Scotland, by encouraging Independents and candidates from smaller parties to stand with a fair chance of being elected.

varian Sun 07-May-17 20:39:26

I do not get my information primarily from the media Granny23 although there is a huge amount of reporting. Scarcely a day goes by without a photo of your leader in the national press (I mean UK national press, not "The National" which is just unadulterated SNP propaganda).

I form a view when I am in Scotland for work or pleasure and by speaking to friends and relations living in Scotland. The one thing which comes across loud and clear is that bitter divisions have been whipped up in recent years between the separatists and everyone else. This chasm is greater than that between left and right in politics and echoes the worst sectarian divisions I grew up with. There is no tolerance. It is all them and us.

My husband had an uncle who was a fanatical SNP supporter in Glasgow in the 1960s. We were very fond of him and spent many a happy hour arguing with him. He was Irish born and bred and actually had a good knowledge of history but his views were coloured by a visceral hatred of the English.

He would have been delighted at the progress the nationalists have made in recent years but I am not sure he would have been impressed by the shambolic Scottish government.

mcem Sun 07-May-17 20:45:08

* There is no tolerance here.* Where?
Oddly enough there is no dissension here!!

mcem Sun 07-May-17 20:46:06

But then I only form a view by living here.

varian Sun 07-May-17 21:16:15

"No dissension"is the party line. Dissent is not permitted. My friends and relations do not agree. They are on opposite sides of a great divide.Perhaps the nationalist just speak to each other.

mcem Sun 07-May-17 22:12:21

Not a party member so not told what do at all! Voted for an excellent libdem councillor last week. Friends and family probably didn't. No big deal - no dissension here. Look hard enough and I'm sure you'll find it. Glad my family and friends aren't divided - maybe we're all a bit more tolearant of the views of others.

paddyann Mon 08-May-17 00:15:09

no dissent amongst my family and friends we agree to disagree though we never talk about politics when my daughters english in -laws are visiting as it "upsets " them..WHY ? I have no idea ,their son will still be married to a scot ,their grandaughter will still have english family as well as scottish and life will go on as before..if/when we get independence .There wont be passport controls and we'll still all have family in all parts of the British Isles....the ONLY difference will be our ability to vote any government OUT if they dont work for us,unlike now when the over 80% of English MP's makes that impossible .

Jane10 Mon 08-May-17 11:27:23

Thank God!