Gransnet forums

News & politics

Can we really Trust Teresa May with a blank cheque?

(655 Posts)
James2451 Sun 07-May-17 13:38:59

‘We need to seriously remind ourselves that we are being asked to cast a vote that will affect not just our lives today, but the future of generations to come’.
I desire a fairer and decent society, one that does not impose severe austerity packages on low and middle earners and so many young families. In fact, for most of us the quality of life for our own grandchildren and their prospects and safe future."

I am deeply worried about giving Teresa May and many of her RW extremists a blank cheque to do what ever they want over the next five years. I am not assured at present that we can trust her and the extreme dogma of many of her MP's. We have no guarantee she will be in office for the full term, look what happened to Maggie.

Her unwillingness to inform the Country what Brexit will mean if she gets her on way with the EU and she is not even prepared to debate her election policies on TV for us all to hear and give our approval,or dissent is worrying. Forget about Corbyn that is a red herring excuse given to protect her from facing the camera's and the Nations scrutiny.
Her term in office at the Home Office has not been the brightest for any leading conservative minister, nor as her ability been questioned to the full to be able to lead our nation through the trouble waters likely to be ahead after Brexit, her ability is still an important unknown factor.

No, I cannot fully put my trust in her at present, I need to have far greater assurances far better than the rude way she behaved at the dispatch box and at the rostrum outside number 10 last week.

We need to be quite clear the election is NOT on Brexit it is on policies for healing and improving the quality of life of the nation over the next five years. I want a bright future for my grandchildren, I am not sure that Teresa May knows how to achieve that with her political dogma, or that I can presently 100% trust her without her being willing to debate her policies in front of the Nation. She is possibly more worried about Nicola Sturgeon than Jeremy Corbyn.. A landslide victory is likely to send the wrong messages to her backbenchers for more draconian policies and I do not believe that is what the nation needs for our grandchildrens future. I am therefore coming round to voting Lib Dem.

varian Sun 07-May-17 13:44:04

Well said James. As Theresa May keeps telling us, this will be the most important election in her lifetime. So it is more important than ever that we stand up for what we believe and vote Liberal Democrat.

Ana Sun 07-May-17 13:47:14

That's your choice, James2461.

Not sure what you mean by 'look what happened to Maggie', as she was PM from 1979 to 1990.

rosesarered Sun 07-May-17 14:08:38

The thing is, it is more or less all about Brexit! Getting good trade deals is key to the economy doing well, which in turn is key to having money for anything and domestic policies have to take a back seat to all that in this GE.
So James your dilemma is between choosing T May and what you see as right wing extremists versus Corbyn and his left wing extremists.
Up to you, your vote, but it's looking more and more unlikely that Corbyn will get in. Very few see him as PM material.

James2451 Sun 07-May-17 14:24:00

Anna, whilst Maggie retained support for a period of time, she was persuaded to move on by rebels in her party. It was also the Falklands factor that won her another term not her previous unpopular policies.

Ana Sun 07-May-17 14:27:30

It's Ana, not Anna, thanks James.

Jane10 Sun 07-May-17 14:30:44

I'd rather trust Theresa May and her cohorts than any of the alternatives.

James2451 Sun 07-May-17 14:42:08

Thank you Rosesarered for your sound comments. I could not bring myself to vote for Corbyn, would be different if it was David Miliband standing as their leader though it is over 50 years since I voted Labour.. However, I am coming round to the Lib Dem is that is the best way to ensure that we do not give Teresa May a landslide that allows extreme draconian unfair policies that again hit families and low/ middle earners. She needs sufficient MP's to get policies through that create sound government, but not extreme policies such as more grammar schools that she is likely to claim she has a mandate for, even though the electorate would not agree and not fully support such a policy. If she stood on that policy alone she would lose hands down. I am afraid I need greater faith in her words than those I am hearing to fully trust her and her party at present.

Ana Sun 07-May-17 14:45:11

Perhaps you'd better wait for the manifestos then James?

James2451 Sun 07-May-17 14:48:18

Ana, apologies my young great granddaughter is Anna, so Imwas on auto I presume.

Jane, I was once more inclined to tribalism in politics and was never prepared to see the good side of other parties other than blues. I mellowed after Thatcherism.

rosesarered Sun 07-May-17 14:51:27

That's one reason that I was happy with the Conservative/Lib Dem coalition we had James
It's usually never the best thing for one party to have a landslide victory, but if they do, that's when you need a really strong opposition party, and that's exactly what we haven't got at the moment.
IMHO the best result is that T May gets in with an increased majority in order to carry out Brexit in a way that gives our government confidence to deal with the EU.
Who knows how well they will do during the next five years, but that's the great thing about a democracy, they can be voted out at the next GE.
Voting at this stage for Corbyn and the extreme left wing is, for me not even worth thinking about.

James2451 Sun 07-May-17 15:01:20

May I thank you Ladies for the kind courtesy of allowing this elderly Granddad to have his say. I look forward to reading more of your views and from the few I have read in other chats some most interesting subjects and differing views.

rosesarered Sun 07-May-17 15:11:01

Welcome to the forum James smile

nigglynellie Sun 07-May-17 15:22:02

You're very welcome on here James and I hope you will feel that you can freely express your opinions whatever they may be, and that they and you will be treated with respect and courtesy. smile

MaizieD Sun 07-May-17 17:09:17

We need to be quite clear the election is NOT on Brexit it is on policies for healing and improving the quality of life of the nation over the next five years.

I absolutely agree with you James.

May didn't need this election for Bexit. She had a majority and very little opposition in Parliament. Brexit is an irrelevance. It concerns me greatly that with a large majority and a crushed opposition the Tories will be free to carry on with the destruction of our public services and their damaging and unnecessary austerity policy.

I realise that the tories are highly unlikely to lose this election but we need strong opposition to their domestic policies, not what would be in effect one party dictatorship.

May was exuding confidence in her ability to get Brexit done and dusted by 2019. Why has she apparently changed her mind? Or is it that she just can't resist the chance to crush the opposition? And conveniently have the chance to ignore the fact that almost half of the voters in the referendum do not want Brexit. Worse, to be able to claim that the country is united behind her, when they really aren't.

MaizieD Sun 07-May-17 17:54:01

Paul Lewis (of BBC Moneybox prog.) has posted this on twitter:

Govt delays state pension age rise announcement until after the election despite law which says "report must be published before 7 May 2017"

Paul Lewis Retweeted Paul Lewis
From this morning, Sunday 7 May 2017, the Government is in breach of the Pensions Act 2014 s.27(2) as this report has not been published

Why would the government delay (illegally) announcing the state pension age rise? Could it be because it might be a vote loser?

Ana Sun 07-May-17 18:08:14

Well I'm sure someone will sue the government, so not a problem really is it? hmm

James2451 Sun 07-May-17 19:34:58

Ana, do you really believe Teresa May and her Government is above English law?

Ana Sun 07-May-17 19:39:17

Pardon? Did I not just say that they would be sued? confused

James2451 Sun 07-May-17 19:45:47

My 15 year old grandson who is very articulate asked me why rural area's are more likely to be Tory than Urban, he asked was it due to wealth or that rural area's are more subservient to the rule of the local gentry.

Gosh! I have not yet found the true answer for him. Can anybody truthfully help?

Jalima1108 Sun 07-May-17 20:12:03

I live in a rural area and always, always curtesy and DH doffs his cap when we see the local gentry ride by in their carriages. I step out of the way into the mud and dare not lift my eyes until they have passed.

ps I only vote according to what The Squire dictates and am very grateful that he allows me to do so.

Does that answer his question?

Jalima1108 Sun 07-May-17 20:13:06

ps the Squire funds the local school too so I learnt about wandering apostrophes when I went with my little blackboard and chalk.

Jalima1108 Sun 07-May-17 20:14:25

I can forgive the abundance of split infinitives as I love them too!!

MaizieD Sun 07-May-17 20:18:18

Could it be that rural areas tend to be inhabited more by wealthy middle class people than 'workers'? 'Workers' having been priced out of the area years ago..

Does your GS have any rural areas in particular in mind?

Jalima1108 Sun 07-May-17 20:26:42

Oops, I only read that post and didn't realise it was a serious question!

Sorry James!

I don't think that people are 'subservient to the rule of the local gentry^ in this day and age. In fact, most people would be hard pressed to name their local gentry, including me; we do have a very well-known person living nearby but I have no idea how he votes.
Nor are that many people extremely wealthy although there must be some as there are some very large houses around, but I have no idea who owns them or how they vote and I doubt that many other people know either.