Gransnet forums

News & politics

Your MP's performance, policy and manifesto, or party leader?

(44 Posts)
trisher Mon 08-May-17 18:27:07

There has been a lot of chat about the leaders of the parties and who would be the better PM, but I wonder if this is what you think about when you vote. How good is your MP? Would you vote against them if they are inadequate? Or are you looking at TM and JC and voting for their party?
I have an excellent MP who works so hard and is active in the community.so I will be voting for her. Fortunately she is a member of the party I prefer.
Are you influenced at all by what is in the manifesto?

Anniebach Fri 12-May-17 09:49:26

Jen, we will fight this election as we choose, do stop being a little englander, we are Welsh Labour, we sre supporting Carwyn , this is how we are fighting this election. Nothing we can do about the leader of the Labour Party, but we have the right to run as Welsh labour.

You are now so above yourself you have become a joke.

trisher Fri 12-May-17 09:56:54

Caught a glimpse of someone on TV yesterday advocating tactical voting to get rid of Jeremy Hunt! Now there's a cause I would be up for if I lived in his constituency!

durhamjen Fri 12-May-17 10:26:22

Unfortunately, trisher, the Libdems, who were going to get behind the NHA candidate, have changed their minds and are fielding a candidate in Hunts constituency.
A shame really. The Libdems got behind two other independents who won in previous elections, Bell and Taylor.

nhaswsurrey.wordpress.com/2017/05/11/disappointment-as-lib-dem-backs-down-from-alliance/

trisher Fri 12-May-17 10:43:23

Oh B---s I thought it was a good idea! The Lib Dems should think again! An NHA candidate against Hunt would be such good battle!

durhamjen Fri 12-May-17 11:10:47

I think constituents can do that anyway, trisher.
Louise Irvine got more votes than libdems last election. Ukip were second.

Three Labour members have been expelled from that constituency for aligning with the NHA. I don't think it will make other Labour members change their minds about the progressive alliance; they just will not admit to it!
Your vote is between you and the ballot box.

I've noticed that Jack Monroe has had to withdraw her NHA candidacy for Southend West as she has received death threats.

paddyann Fri 12-May-17 11:21:47

Grannypiper is it against the law to be an Irish republican? Or to support their cause ? Republicans aren't all IRA gunrunners you know ,they are people who believe that their country should be united as it once was .A perfectu reasonable attitude

yggdrasil Fri 12-May-17 11:35:41

I heard this morning that UKIP weren't standing in my constituency to support the Tories, and the Green candidate also has refused to stand to support the LibDems. Pity that Labour wouldn't do the same. They have no chance here, it is a straight run between the tories & libdems. We also have a Christians Peoples Alliance, which I have never heard of before and don't expect to again. I want to see a Labour government, these Progressive Alliances are the only way to go with FPTP

durhamjen Fri 12-May-17 11:44:09

Why is it being a little Englander to say that this election is for Westminster government, not the Welsh Assembly?
I don't complain about Wales and Scotland having their own governments, running their own NHS and education systems, and calling you little welsh or little scots, even though Wales and Scotland have a much smaller population than Northumbria.

Looking at the composition of the government, Westminster should move to Surrey, when it closes for repairs.

durhamjen Fri 12-May-17 11:56:04

nhap.org/event/unseathunt-campaign-saturday-13-may/

nhap.org/event/come-and-campaign-with-neal-stote-this-saturday/

nhap.org/event/unseathunt-campaign-sunday-14-may/

nhap.org/event/neal-stote-hustings/

Anniebach Fri 12-May-17 12:05:44

One example of a little englander attitude ? We are bigger than you

durhamjen Fri 12-May-17 12:47:07

Yorkshire's bigger than Wales, Annie. Get over it.

trisher Fri 12-May-17 14:52:21

It's God's own county as well!

Anniebach Fri 12-May-17 15:03:08

No I will not get over it durhamjen, Wales is country not a county in England , there was no need for your insult, who the hell do think you are?

durhamjen Fri 12-May-17 15:23:42

What are you getting angry for, Annie?
You told me I was a joke.

Corbyn is the leader of the Labour Party. Get over it.

mollie Fri 12-May-17 15:42:46

For once I'm truly stumped about who to vote for. I feel this is likely to be a second referendum by another name and brexit will be the deciding factor for most people but there are other issues. I like both TM and JC for different reasons, like some party approaches from Labour and the Conservatives and am trying hard to take into account my newly adopted rural county's needs over my life-long city-girl leanings. The sitting MP is unlikely to be unseated so perhaps what I want doesn't matter even if I'd like to think otherwise.

durhamjen Fri 12-May-17 15:51:16

You are not considering voting for Ukip, are you, mollie?

Even I have to feel sorry for Paul Nuttall here.

politicalscrapbook.net/2017/05/ukip-meltdown-candidate-tells-nuttall-he-quits-live-on-air/

Whilst laughing, of course.

mollie Fri 12-May-17 16:59:52

Crikey, never considered that option! Lol!

durhamjen Fri 12-May-17 23:25:29

This is interesting, about transparency and corruption.
I wonder which party will take the recommendations on.

www.transparency.org.uk/publications/ge-2017-manifesto/