Gransnet forums

News & politics

Front bench dream team

(41 Posts)
daphnedill Wed 10-May-17 13:26:40

Imagine that there were a coalition government - a bit like the wartime National government.

Who would you have on your fornt bench - and why? It could be anybody from any current political party.

I'll start off with:

Norman Lamb (LD) - Health, because he really does care, particularly about mental health, and campaigns tirelessly.

Debbie Abrahams (Labour) - DWP, because she also cares and has worked with vulnerable people and knows what she's talking about.

varian Wed 10-May-17 15:59:01

I'd rather have Tim Farron as PM. (youngish, charismatic leader of centre / left party).

Yvette Cooper could be DPM (I'm sure her hubby would be happy to appear on tv with her)

varian Wed 10-May-17 16:03:33

Vince Cable for Chancellor of the Exchecer. (PhD in Economics, Glasgow)

Chukka Umumma for Business Secretary. (Very smooth looking city type)

Anniebach Wed 10-May-17 16:07:24

Sorry, not Farron for PM, as much as we can say personality doesn't come into it, it does

Anniebach Wed 10-May-17 16:09:24

And Yvette is quite capable of standing in her own two feet, pity mocking has come into a good thread

Ana Wed 10-May-17 16:10:13

Tim Farron definitely lacking in charisma for me...

varian Wed 10-May-17 16:14:31

I wasn't mocking Yvette, Annie. I actually like her. I just thought that I might already have seen her hubby on the One Show, so he'd have no problem with that.

I have another suggestion you might prefer -Theresa May for Leader of the Opposition. She might be better at asking questions than she is at answering them.

Anniebach Wed 10-May-17 16:32:09

I doubt Ed Balls would have a problem with tv, he was shadow chancellor , yes oposition best place for May ?

kittylester Wed 10-May-17 16:36:01

I liked keir starmer as dpp and thought he was very 'sensible' but he seems to have come over all dreary lately.

Steven kinnock
Dan Jarvis

Anniebach Wed 10-May-17 16:36:24

Not forgetting Ed did Strictly as did cable ?

Anniebach Wed 10-May-17 16:39:47

kitty, I hove hopes for Stephen, he was honest the day of the local elections results to say it was a disaster for labour

How about a few more women ladies

varian Wed 10-May-17 16:57:16

Jo Swinson (LD) Minister for JUstice - she doesn't want to build new prisons.

TerriBull Wed 10-May-17 17:23:00

Rachel Reeves, where's she gone these days? keeping a low profile, I really like her, Liz Kendall, Chukka and of course Ed, Balls, that is, all love him now smile I don't feel qualified to suggest which Ministry should be assigned to them, other than Chancellor for Ed I imagine.

varian Wed 10-May-17 17:27:14

There are some characters of our generation that it would be a shame to lose.

I did toy with the idea of Dennis Skinner for Speaker as he has a loud voice and is not afraid to speak up, but then again, he might have a problem with being politically impartial, so perhaps not.

Anniebach Wed 10-May-17 17:30:01

Dennis could not and would not be impartial ?

Maggiemaybe Wed 10-May-17 18:05:48

I'm another fan of Rachel Reeves, TerriBull. I really rate her and in fact had a £1 bet on her to be the next PM after Cameron (100/1). It was foiled by his resignation of course and as you say, she's not been in the national news much lately.