Gransnet forums

News & politics

Ian Brady

(136 Posts)
Luckylegs9 Tue 16-May-17 08:26:27

At last we don't have to pay to keep him in prison. My heart goes out to the families of his victims, particularly the child whose grave was never found.

angelab Thu 18-May-17 12:34:04

jalima I don't understand your comment (am I getting a bit lost here?) Ian Brady and Myra Hindley were both found guilty and sentenced to life imprisonment; capital punishment had been abolished, so what else should have happened?

Jalima1108 Thu 18-May-17 11:34:11

Or would some of you like a return to the lynch mob?
Certainly not, but I do like to know that justice is done.
When the evidence is overwhelming is it right or wrong that a case should be dismissed because one 'i' may not have been dotted in the myriad of evidence to be presented to the court?

I agree Christinefrance

Christinefrance Thu 18-May-17 08:07:10

I can't comment on Brady's mental health as I don't know enough or have the knowledge to decide. The fact remains that he indisputably murdered those children. You could argue that anyone committing such crimes must have a mental illness. However I think that once again the focus is on the perpetrator and not the victims. The public need to be protected from people like Brady, Sutcliffe etc and once their crimes are proven they should be confined for life no chance of parole. Capital punishment is not an option.

Rigby46 Thu 18-May-17 07:50:35

People do not 'get off' on 'minor technical errors of procedure'. A case may be dismissed because procedural rules necessary for the fair administration of justice are not followed. These rules are the bedrock of the rule of law and those charged with the administration of justice bear the responsibility for its proper administration. Or would some of you like a return to the lynch mob?

mumofmadboys Thu 18-May-17 07:42:35

Luckylegs where has anyone said you are not Christian??

Luckylegs9 Thu 18-May-17 07:39:15

To get a guilty person off sentencing, is a gross miscarriage of justice. Don't know how lawyers that do that sleep at night. I would be ashamed.

Anniebach Wed 17-May-17 17:35:42

Then I don't understand your question Mrsmopp

mrsmopp Wed 17-May-17 17:17:09

No.

Anniebach Wed 17-May-17 16:57:47

Was Hindly's sentence a miscarriage of justice Mrsmopp?

mrsmopp Wed 17-May-17 16:54:04

Including Lord Longford, Annie?

Anniebach Wed 17-May-17 15:44:30

But Jalima , it is what defence are paid to do and as unfair as it seems an error of procedure must exist for a reason

Mrsmopp, it was do Gooders who did and still do fight against miscarriages of justice

angelab Wed 17-May-17 15:43:29

Jalima, I disagree. I had an ex-student (overseas) who became a defence lawyer, and he was able to get some clients off who had shoplifted but police gave prices from another store. His argument was that in those cases the defence lawyer serves an important role in tightening up police evidence, and I agree with him

Jalima1108 Wed 17-May-17 15:25:45

I am talking about cases where the evidence of guilt is indisputable yet a barrister will try to get a client off on a minor technical error of procedure.

Eloethan Wed 17-May-17 15:22:48

I wondered how long it would be before the term "do gooders" was used.

Our justice system, with all its imperfections, is better than a system in which "everybody knows he's/she's guilty so why bother about the technicalities".

Jalima1108 Wed 17-May-17 14:56:15

That is true, but in the meantime a criminal could still be walking the streets and a danger to the public because of some minor technicality which matters not a jot and has nothing to do with the obvious guilt of the accused.

angelab Wed 17-May-17 14:44:26

Lawyers getting their clients off on 'technicalities' is what makes (in the end) for good law - the legal system can't anticipate all possible defence manouevres.

mrsmopp Wed 17-May-17 14:21:23

I seem to remember Lord Longford visiting them both and getting involved in the case. Do Gooders, eh!

Anniebach Wed 17-May-17 11:12:15

Jalima,we have had so many miscarriages of justice , some by defence not doing their job, police who have lied, juries who have allowed emotions to overcome facts. Our courts are not perfect are they

Jalima1108 Wed 17-May-17 10:49:37

You are right, anniebach 'Getting off on a technicality' or a reduced sentence for a heinous crime for whatever reason is not justice and does not serve the general public well.

Anniebach Wed 17-May-17 10:47:02

I agree Niggly,

Anniebach Wed 17-May-17 10:45:42

Jalima , if the defence did as you say it wouldn't be justice

Anniebach Wed 17-May-17 10:43:18

Chewbacca, I am not comparing the moors murderers with the children who killed James Bulger, I am comparing the reaction and behaviour of the public .

I do know details of the murders, my husband attended lectures by a person who worked on the cases, I read my husbands notes on the lectures and have always regretted doing so , they included details which were never reported in the press.

nigglynellie Wed 17-May-17 10:31:26

I can't imagine how I'd feel, it's too terrible to contemplate, but I do know that as a society we MUST abide by the law, however ghastly the situation we find ourselves in, be it all through gritted teeth. Not to do so would evoke mob rule, in other words anarchy. I remember, some years ago that a convicted terrorist was to be deported. Mrs May, to her credit, as I understand it, went through every last detail with regard to the legalities before deporting this person which although frustrating, was, in a civilised society, the correct thing to do. Let's hope that same commitment bears well for brexit negotiations.

Jalima1108 Wed 17-May-17 10:30:31

Chewbacca I agree with your last post - and, of course, there are others like them, sadly.

Chewbacca Wed 17-May-17 10:27:23

Typo sorry, Jamie Bulger not Burger.