Gransnet forums

News & politics

Ian Brady

(135 Posts)
Luckylegs9 Tue 16-May-17 08:26:27

At last we don't have to pay to keep him in prison. My heart goes out to the families of his victims, particularly the child whose grave was never found.

annsixty Tue 16-May-17 08:53:59

He and Myra Hyndley along with many others are the reason I have to believe in an afterlife. The thought that he has just ceased living with no retribution does not sit well with me.

gretel Tue 16-May-17 08:57:40

He has been force fed since 1999. He should have been allowed to die.

Anniebach Tue 16-May-17 08:58:40

Their life sentences was retribution , so you mean continued retribution ?

annsixty Tue 16-May-17 09:11:47

Yes.

MawBroon Tue 16-May-17 09:44:48

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-19305055

One of life's sad coincidences.

paddyann Tue 16-May-17 10:19:27

gretel he shouldn't have been allowed to die ,they should have kept him alive as long as possible so that last family might get some answers ,not sorry he's dead ..but very sorry he took that information to his grave

Anniebach Tue 16-May-17 10:27:58

So there is acceptable mental illnesses and unacceptable mental illnesses?

gretel Tue 16-May-17 10:39:46

Brady had more than 50 years to reveal the whereabouts of Keith Bennett's body. The cost of keeping him in a secure hospital is £165,000 per year. What a waste of millions of pounds.

mrsmopp Tue 16-May-17 10:50:10

He was utterly cold and callous and never showed any remorse whatsoever. Surely they should bring back the death penalty for cases like his. His guilt was never doubted, so why all that money to keep him alive?
Ah well, he's with Satan now, thank goodness.

Anniebach Tue 16-May-17 11:11:04

Do we not accept the man was mentally ill? Do we really want to go back to the time when we hanged the likes of Ruth Ellis, Derek Bently, Timothy Evans , mental illness and learning difficulties ?

sunseeker Tue 16-May-17 11:12:32

I heard an interview with someone who had visited him. Brady told him he knew exactly where Keith Bennett was buried but wouldn't say unless the authorities gave in to his demands. He also thought that once the body was recovered his "fame" would diminish and he would be forgotten. A truly evil man.

MawBroon Tue 16-May-17 11:19:36

It's always been an argument that to be as depraved and wicked as the Moors murderers, the Yorkshire Ripper, the killers of Jamie Bolger or indeed any "cold blooded killer" one cannot be mentally "normal" so proving that a murderer was not of sound mind has always been a tempting defence.
I personally do not subscribe to that get-out of diminished responsibility. However if a murderer is consigned to Broadmoor "at Her Majesty's Pleasure" rather than a high security prison, his(or her) sentence is indeed a potential LIFE sentence, without parole or the possibility of release after 18 or so years.
Ian Brady,mentally ill? Not, in this case, I think, just EVIL manipulative to the end and depraved.

GillT57 Tue 16-May-17 11:33:19

Although I understand the feelings of those who would have liked him to be allowed to starve to death when he stopped eating in 1999, I agree with the stance taken whereby he was force fed for the rest of his life. He was, by all reports, a manipulative, controlling man and allowing him to starve to death would have given him the control he craved. I also read a while ago that he was requesting return to a 'normal' prison, but the fact that he was on hunger strike was given as an illustration of his need to stay in a prison hospital. I remember it being all over the news when I was a child.

Anniebach Tue 16-May-17 11:39:02

I don't understand the arguments put forward, suppose it comes down to ones views on mental illness

paddyann Tue 16-May-17 11:45:37

I dont believe Brady and the killers of James Bulger are in the same category at all.In fact I believe the parents of those boys were as guilty as their sons.These children were raised in a most horrific way,they saw things children should never see,they were damaged ..I'm not excusing what they did because it was an awful crime ,but I think the lines between fact and fantasy (all the horror films ,games etc) were blurred for them .Their parents should have been on trial for their crimes alongside them

SparklyGrandma Tue 16-May-17 11:50:11

Anniebach no, if he was mentally ill, he was mentally ill. People have less control over their actions and no, we as a society should not be killing people with mental illness.

Nor in ordinary society, shunning them or treating them differently.

However, I think Hell might have been busy last night, with Brady's passing.

Anniebach Tue 16-May-17 11:55:06

What do you know of Brady's upbringing paddyann?

mrsmopp Tue 16-May-17 12:24:33

Anniebach in your post at 11.04 you are not comparing like with like. There is no comparison with Ellis, Bentley and Evans and the Moors murderers. Brady and Hindley accepted their guilt and were unrepentant. Crimes against defenseless children are heinous and shocking. Why keep him in prison for over 50 years and end up force feeding him to keep him alive against his will?
The repercussions continue for the still grieving families of those children.

Anniebach Tue 16-May-17 12:47:53

But I am comparing like with like, Donald Neilsin who ate body parts of his victims wasn't mentally ill?

If they say sorry let them live, if they don't,hang them .

We either believe anyone capable of carry out these crimes is mentally ill or we do not. I believe they are, this doesn't take away the horror I feel of the crimes, the sympathy for the families.

I know nothing of Brady apart from the crimes and the press reports, I don't know anything about his childhood , if he had carried out brutal acts before these murders, I do not believe a healthy, mentally balanced person commits these crimes.

SparklyGrandma Tue 16-May-17 12:58:02

Actually mrsmopp I hate to say this, Hindley did repent and became a Christian.

Anniebach I agree with you.

celebgran Tue 16-May-17 13:22:57

Exactly lucklegs

That poor mother died not knowing even where her son's grave was,

Evil doesn't cover it I don't believe he was mentally ill to some extent obviously but he was capable of planning and carrying out the most eveil obnoxious crimes ever against innocent children.

Anniebach Tue 16-May-17 13:34:29

Gosh ,thanks Sparkly.

celebgran, being mentally ill does not mean low Intellegence

Surprised to hear the news reporting on his childhood, illigitimate in the thirties ? That made a child an outcast for starters .

daphnedill Tue 16-May-17 13:41:49

There is a specific definition of criminal insanity. Brady did not claim it at the time of his trial and served the first part of his sentence in ordinary prisons.

He was diagnosed as a psycopath in the mid 80s, was sectioned under the Mental Health Act and transferred to Ashworth, which had no bearing on the original verdict.

Anniebach Tue 16-May-17 13:48:08

Same was said of Sutcliffe, 1981 in .parkhurst, 1984 in Broadmore , no mistake there then