Gransnet forums

News & politics

Internationalist or pacifist, you can't be both

(60 Posts)
thatbags Fri 26-May-17 17:08:57

Here's why, by Peter Hurst. He has put into words what I've felt in my guts for ages. I have worried about not being a pacifist, felt I should be one. I shall not worry about that any more.

The argument came in a series of tweets. I copied them and put them together. You'll have to accept the occasional awkwardness of expression caused by Twitter limitations. It's still impressive. And I learned a new word: autarky.

Peter Hurst's thread (@peterleohurst):

Theresa May needs to emphasise that the place Corbyn's anti-war stance comes from is essentially a philosophy of isolationism but she cant Because she is pursuing Brexit ofc but @timfarron can. This is what most Corbynites dont seem to grasp. You can be an 'internationalist' OR a pacifist. You cant be both. Hence why the League of Nations was an abject failure. If you are committed to internationalism but have no teeth, as it were, what do you do when a Hitler comes along? so lets be clear: internationalism is all very well and good but if you are not prepared to go 2war at some stage your 'internationalism' means feck all basically. Hitler demonstrated that in the 1930s. Internationalism without force means feck all. Empty rhetoric. Corbyn understands this tbf to him. He is a Bennite. Bennism in economic terms is autarky. Corbyn has been anti-NATO and anti-EEC/EU for decades. He clearly understands what I am talking about. You can be an internationalist, fine But then you cant be anti-war too. Most Corbynites dont understand this. They think nationalism is neo-fascist AND lean towards pacifism But you cant have both! You can be an internationalist like Blair - he was willing to go to war BECAUSE he was an internationalist btw - OR An isolationist who is anti-war like Corbyn. Now the problem Theresa May has is that the best way to combat Corbyn's speech today would Be to make that connection explicit. Anti-war equals isolationism. Internationalism equals being willing to go war on occasion. But she cant But @timfarron should.

Ana Fri 26-May-17 17:17:26

Hmm, interesting. Thanks for that, thatbags.

whitewave Fri 26-May-17 17:26:32

bags I would appreciate a summary if it isn't too much bother!! Only I am finding it too disjointed to be able to follow it.

So is the thesis that you can't be a pacifist and an internationalist? Why is what I would like to understand.

mollie Fri 26-May-17 17:39:22

Basically, if you want to be part of the crowd you have to be prepared to fight for the crowd. Is that right? I assumed Corbyn believed in talk/negotiation not war rather than turning away and playing neutral like Switzerland (except they weren't really were they)

thatbags Fri 26-May-17 17:49:23

mollie has explained it, ww. Essentially it means that in extremis you have to be willing to stand up and fight for what you want to protect from evil. It doesn't mean you want war, only that it certain circumstances (Nazi Germany was one), it may be necessary. As a internationalist one needs to be able to accept that.

Pacifism is an is an ideal (a good one) but we don't live in an ideal world. It's the usual problem of things not being simple black and white.

whitewave Fri 26-May-17 17:49:32

Thanks mollie grateful for that - had Mum today and exhausted!! So brain not functioning as well as it should.

Yes I think that is a misunderstanding of Corbyns stance. He most certainly isn't a pacifist, but neither is he a hawk. His instinct is always to try to negotiate the way out of a situation rather than throw bombs at it first and then give talking a go. I believe his position is similar to Churchills,

I think that the vast majority of people would agree with this stance. The gutter press of course are trying their level best to trash him, and with the polls narrowing we can expect them to pull as many rabbits out of their scruffy hats as possible.

thatbags Fri 26-May-17 17:50:45

So yes, the thesis is that you can't be both an internationalist and a pacifist. So, Jeremy Corbyn is not an internationalist. He's an isolationist.

whitewave Fri 26-May-17 17:51:35

Only if you accept that he is a pacifist and I dont

thatbags Fri 26-May-17 17:51:52

x posts, ww. Please tell us how you know JC isn't a pacifist because he certainly goves the impression that he is.

whitewave Fri 26-May-17 18:06:23

Have a look at my post above 17.49 -

The reason is that he has consistently said that he would use military action "in the last resort" and I think that most people would agree with that. As would I argued Churchill.

He recognises that a governments primary responsibility is to keep its citizens secure.

He understands the need for a well equipped. And trained army.

Corbyn is against Trident. As are many throughout the UK including Tory and Labour MPs. We have no control whatsoever over a weapon on which we are prepared to spend untold millions -madness.

thatbags Fri 26-May-17 18:23:00

Thank you.

thatbags Fri 26-May-17 18:35:15

It would seem that Hurst does think Corbyn is a pacifist or at least not as much of a "defencist" as he would like. He also does not regard Corbyn as an internationalist. That is problematic.

The argument of people in favour of Trident is that is our best defence: the knowledge that it exists is all the 'threat' that is needed to hold back lunatic attackers. Which, I believe, is the whole idea. I don't think anyone wants to use nuclear weapons.

whitewave Fri 26-May-17 18:53:06

There lies the conundrum. There may be an argument that it holds back aggressive nations for fear of retaliation, but not sure that argument would stand up when considering lunatics.

I take the moral stance as I feel that they should be on a par at the very least with chemical and biological weapons. They simply shouldn't exist.

mollie Fri 26-May-17 20:15:05

And an example of lunatic (for a lack of evidence to the contrary) is the North Korean leader... I also think Trump might be tempted to hit the button just to prove a point.

The argument for trident being a deterrent is dodgy. If we have them how can we stop unstable regimes from having them. Wouldn't it be better if we all stepped back rather than challenge? I wonder how things would be if women were in total charge?

thatbags Fri 26-May-17 20:16:15

The nuclear deterrence stance is not immoral. I accept that it is in your opinion but that doesn't make it so per se.

Priti Patel is tweeting that Jeremy Corbyn voted against every anti-terrorism since 1983. She claims he 'boasted' about this in 2011. Boasting aside (opposing party claptrap), is it true that he said what she claims and that he voted as she claims? And if so, why?

I'm asking for information if anyone has it, or even links to accessible information. Cheers.

thatbags Fri 26-May-17 20:17:03

Dodgy, I'll accept. Immoral, no.

thatbags Fri 26-May-17 20:19:47

Please don't turn this into another love/hate JC (character assassination or praisefest) thread. I'm interested in the facts about JC's stances on national defence, on internationalism, and on pacifism. Other people's interpretation of those things too.

thatbags Fri 26-May-17 20:20:48

i.e. about the ideas that drive his voting behaviour, not the man who holds the ideas.

thatbags Fri 26-May-17 20:21:47

I don't care two hoots about JC. I care about what he stands for.

whitewave Fri 26-May-17 20:58:21

Well bags I must put my hand up and say that I only know what JC stands for by his rhetoric.
So what I think he stands for may not be entirely correct.
So I get that he is for multi-lateral disarmament.
I understand that he sees military intervention as a last resort.
I understand that he has learned that war and violence almost always has to end in dialogue, so his logic is why not start from that point if at all possible.

That's a start!!

Jane10 Fri 26-May-17 21:12:14

You mean 'jaw jaw not war war'. That didn't work well last time.
Both parties have to want to talk. I can't see Kim Jun Ill wanting to chat any more than Hitler or any other dictator would.

trisher Fri 26-May-17 21:46:06

The argument that you can't be an Internationalist and a pacifist is completely flawed. It only works if you assume that all Germans supported Hitler and there was therefore no means of removing him except by going to war. There was of course considerable anti- Hitler feeling in Germany way before war even became an option and had anyone been willing to work with this opposition the war might never have happened. In fact of course there were elements in this country who believed much the same as Hitler and who failed to recognise the danger before it was too late. A true Internationalist would be sharing information and offering help so Internationalism and pacifism could have prevented the war. The problem is that people regard pacifists as being unable and unwilling to take action to deal with problems. This is completely wrong of course. They are willing to act but do not believe war can solve any problems.

M0nica Fri 26-May-17 21:55:53

I am puzzled by Corbyn's statement about only committing soldiers to a cause if we know it is going to lead to a long term solution to a problem.

How can you know in advance that an intervention will lead to a long term solution? Surely if you do know a long term solution can be found the problem can be solved by diplomacy anyway.

Does it mean that we will not have anything to do with peace keeping operations, the famous 'blue berets' of UN peace keeping forces, because they are only a temporary expediency while a solution is looked for?

Surely Blair and Bush both believed that their interventions in both Afghanistan and Iraq would provide permanent solutions to the problems they perceived.

How many military operations have been initiated by parties who either knew it would not solve the problem or did not see it as an action of last resort.

Bear in mind that just because an individual/party/government thinks that the military action initiated by another individual/party/government is not an action of last resort or likely to solve the problem does not mean that the initiator is not themselves entirely convinced that the military intervention is unavoidable and essential, so if Jeremy Corbyn were prime Minister he could still commit our forces to another Afghanistan or Iraq because he believed it was unavoidable and would provide a permanent solution, even though most of the country disagreed.hmm

GracesGranMK2 Fri 26-May-17 22:08:39

Who is this guy. He can't actually write (which appears to be his job) so why would we listen to him.

GracesGranMK2 Fri 26-May-17 22:10:38

Would it be possible to have a link to the original article?