Gransnet forums

News & politics

Snap election - could TM have seriously miscalculated?

(142 Posts)
MawBroon Sun 28-May-17 07:33:39

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/0/who-will-win-general-election-2017-latest-polls-odds-tracker/

Everybody (including the government) has seemed seemed to assume the Tories were on track for a landslide victory but current opinion polls suggest Labour is closing the gap. Support for Jeremy Corbyn is increasing especially among women and the projections suggest he will do better than Miliband.
Now, it could be one of several things
Fear of the consequences of a massive Tory majority
Distrust of May in the Brexit negotiations (and they will go ahead I assume )
I think hopes of a U turn there are misguided and in any case the resulting uncertainty and confusion would be catastrophic for the economy. The damage has been done there.
Maybe women don't like a "bloody difficult woman"
Or is it the twinkly eyes and the beard?

daphnedill Wed 31-May-17 11:01:10

The strange thing is that TM has hardly mentioned Brexit at all during the campaign, despite claiming that it was to strengthen her hand with the EU that she called the election.

durhamjen Wed 31-May-17 09:26:24

I bet you don't read this in many of the Tory papers, either.

evolvepolitics.com/data-terrorism-always-goes-tories-national-security-threat/

Tories are a threat to security, not Labour.
May voted for the bombing of Libya.

whitewave Wed 31-May-17 08:30:45

May is incompetent and weak

Ginny42 Wed 31-May-17 08:29:25

I don't really get why an increased majority would have enabled her to negotiate a better Brexit deal. If it was to deal with her own MP's, could it not have been done behind closed doors?

However, thank goodness she did call a snap election as it has given the Labour Party the chance they were waiting for and so far, Diane Abbott excepted, they have barely fluffed a line. OK Jeremy should have had the costings for child care at his finger tips, but at least they are costed in their manifesto, which the Tories in their arrogance have not done. Jeremy is responding logically and articulately and not merely parotting sound bites which are now wearing very thin and becoming extremely boring.

I could feel sorry for TM, but I'm not. She's out of her depth and she's flagging. She was laughed at during the Paxman 'debate'. She was floundering and she knew it. We all knew it.

durhamjen Wed 31-May-17 08:18:06

"Labour need fresh blood."
I always thought it was the tories who were vampires, feeding off the blood of the poor and the weak.
DWP kills people nowadays.

daphnedill Wed 31-May-17 07:24:19

*in force"

daphnedill Wed 31-May-17 07:24:04

GracesGran It must be "Lovely Wednesday". They seem to be coming out ion force.hmm

I amnot a Labour Party member and I won't be voting Labour in the GE (partly because my constituency doesn't have a serious Labour candidate), but I think Corbyn has been impressive over the last few weeks and May's performance has been abysmal. She's the one who doesn't appear to know what she's talking about and can't relate to real people.

Don't forget that the majority of 18-35 year olds support Labour. The country is heading for serious divisions, despite what May likes to tell us we should all be thinking.

daphnedill Wed 31-May-17 07:18:08

Why would Corbyn need to sign on? He's of pensionable age.

Luckylegs9 Wed 31-May-17 07:15:39

Nothing will get rid of Corbyn as he has proved, even Labour didn't want him, but he hung on, like Diane Abott, who else would employ them, seriously,, so what choice does he have,he could sign on I suppose, he the worst possible person for Labour. The need fresh blood, people that know what they are talking about and can relate to people. The country is crying out forceful opposition, but some of his loyal followers don't think of the bigger picture, just supporting this ridiculous unpatriotic man ad his little friends.

durhamjen Tue 30-May-17 22:55:49

Don't worry, Margaret, I've agreed with lots of your posts.

ninny Tue 30-May-17 22:17:15

MargaretX that's the first time I have ever agreed with one of your posts.

durhamjen Tue 30-May-17 22:07:14

What about May being a laughing stock in Europe?

MargaretX Tue 30-May-17 21:59:53

What on earth is all this about. No one knows who will resign even that person who resigns doesn't yet know himself or her self yet.

They are doing well but there are more things about the Labour party which will prevent people voting for them Diane Abbot is one and some of his promises are really more like dreams of a perfect society, which won't happen in our life time.

GracesGranMK2 Tue 30-May-17 20:42:16

You really are one of life's lovely people aren't you Roses.

daphnedill Tue 30-May-17 20:20:27

Polls are consistently showing that the turning point in voter intention is about 35. In five years' time, the 35 year olds will be 40, so their support will be critical. Will they still support Labour? I sense that the consensus is moving towards the left, so they might. People are certainly thinking that there is an alternative to neo-liberalism and "austerity". Much depends on the outcome of Brexit negotiations and how they affect people's lives.

Jalima1108 Tue 30-May-17 20:09:21

I think Corbyn will go if Labour loses but I think it could be a struggle to get rid of him - he may not go willingly. The worrying thing is who would succeed him? If McDonnell then I think Labour could be seen to be unelectable for a long period.

durhamjen Tue 30-May-17 19:55:52

Well, it just shows that people don't read your questions properly, roses, if the majority of people who reply wouldn't vote for him anyway.

I can't believe you have no preconceptions about Annie's response. Everyone else knows.

whitewave Tue 30-May-17 18:19:55

I am not sure that my opinion will count for much. I think Corbyn will almost certainly resign, but I think he will have perversely succeeded in moving much of the debate away from the hard right

rosesarered Tue 30-May-17 18:14:26

I have no preconceptions about what way Labour voters on GN would go (about him resigning, )which is why I posed this question.

rosesarered Tue 30-May-17 18:12:15

I have only had a few responses, Luckylegs, Petra and Angelab and only one of those was going to vote for Corbyn anyway!Guess most don't want to even think about losing, but it's only a week away and somebody has to lose.I have already said that I think T May should resign if they lose, and of course I think Corbyn should resign if Labour lose, he is very disliked by many voters and many MP's.

durhamjen Tue 30-May-17 17:58:10

No, roses, it's just that, as usual, you ignore the responses you get if they do not fit in with your preconceptions.

durhamjen Tue 30-May-17 17:56:54

No, you're voting Ukip.
May has been telling us for weeks that it's HER manifesto. You obviously haven't been listening. If they are voting against the policies, they are voting against her.

Whitewave the tories can't decide who to send. Nobody wants to do it. I think they probably tossed a coin in the end.

rosesarered Tue 30-May-17 17:56:38

What do you think ww.......should Corbyn resign if he loses?
This is obviously an uncomfortable question that I'm asking, judging from the reactions! It's something that needs thinking about though isn't it?Only a week to go.

whitewave Tue 30-May-17 17:51:22

So what is the cock-up with the Tory and the BBC welsh debate?

whitewave Tue 30-May-17 17:47:18

PETRA grin