Gransnet forums

News & politics

Horrendous housing

(48 Posts)
FarNorth Sun 28-May-17 12:42:48

I had no idea that "beds in sheds" are widespread in parts of London, or that the housing crisis had got so bad there, even for people who have an apparently good income.

www.itv.com/news/london/2017-04-21/letting-agent-who-rented-out-beds-in-sheds-likened-to-a-rio-slum-for-could-be-jailed/

www.theguardian.com/society/2017/may/25/london-property-squeeze-affordable-housing

vampirequeen Sun 28-May-17 12:48:22

Beds in sheds have become all to common place. Not long ago a landlord tried to let a 'compact' bedroom....it was the cupboard under the stairs.

tanith Sun 28-May-17 13:09:53

It's been a long established practice in London the council try to pull the illegal ones down but it's like painting the Forth Bridge.

glammanana Sun 28-May-17 13:24:38

I wonder if her Passport has been seized from her so she doesn't suddenly disappear.some of these tenants are so frightened of their Landlords they don't complain it is heartbreaking the way they are treated looking at the pictures from the link there is evidence of a young child living in those conditions disgraceful.

petra Sun 28-May-17 14:28:14

This has been going on for years, and not just in London. Where I live in Southend there have been several convictions. A couple of years ago there were several people living in tents on the beach.

M0nica Sun 28-May-17 14:43:20

In London 'beds in sheds' has been around for about 20 years or more. Often used to house immigrants, legal and illegal, who know nothing about the rules governing housing or too afraid to complain.

durhamjen Sun 28-May-17 15:46:17

Fortunately, FarNorth, that particular agent has been found out and will have to repay or go to jail.
Part of me hopes she doesn't have the money and will find out what it's like to be in a small room.

GillT57 Sun 28-May-17 16:39:16

My DH was asked by a client to sort out the planning permission for a shed to be a habitable room as he had put a sink and tap in there and had tenants. DH pointed out that this was illegal and then reported him to local housing department.

Ana Sun 28-May-17 16:51:18

I don't think it can be illegal to let out your understairs cupboard as a bedroom though.

There was a programme on some tv channel a year or two ago showing a bed behind the sofa in the living room in a flat and even a hammock suspended from a bedroom ceiling. These were all let as flat-shares.

durhamjen Sun 28-May-17 16:57:33

If it isn't, it should be!

durhamjen Sun 28-May-17 17:00:54

bedroom under the stairs.

durhamjen Sun 28-May-17 17:01:44

That was £500 a month plus a share of the bills.
No wonder she said what she did.

Ana Sun 28-May-17 17:04:06

Doesn't matter where the bed is as long as you have access to the usual household amenities, hygiene-wise.

durhamjen Sun 28-May-17 17:06:00

What rubbish you spout, Ana.

Ana Sun 28-May-17 17:07:35

So do you durhamjen. Have you never heard of someone kipping on someone's sofa or floor? It's not illegal.

durhamjen Sun 28-May-17 17:14:31

What I would hope is possibly illegal is taking £500 in rent from somebody for the privilege.
Obviously the girl concerned thought the same as me.

It's a bit weird that you think it's acceptable.

Ana Sun 28-May-17 17:17:56

Did I say that? No, thought not...

durhamjen Sun 28-May-17 17:22:30

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39974177

Half a million people have to borrow to pay the rent.

vampirequeen Sun 28-May-17 21:14:52

Not long ago an Act was brought before the House which would have made it illegal to rent out a property that was not classed as fit for human habitation.

The Government didn't agree and it was voted down.

Seems sad that in this country the Government think it's OK for people to be abused by rogue landlords who simply see their tenants as a means of making money and not human beings who have a right to expect to live in a property that is suitable for human habitation.

durhamjen Sun 28-May-17 21:19:48

Agreed, Vampirequeen. We need to get a government that values all humans, not just the greedy few. No point in the tories telling us how many houses they are going to ask builders to build if people still can't afford to live in them.

minesaprosecco Sun 28-May-17 21:20:33

Not sad, vampire, obscene.

FarNorth Mon 29-May-17 08:33:22

I wonder what justifications were given by MPs for their view that an Act on that wasn't needed.

Riverwalk Mon 29-May-17 08:56:44

I don't think it can be illegal to let out your understairs cupboard as a bedroom though.

I don't have the time to search for the relevant regulations but it is illegal Ana. I know there has to be natural light for one, and a certain amount of floor space.

Friends & family sofa-surfing, etc isn't a commercial transaction and usually only temporary.

James2451 Mon 29-May-17 09:28:41

We need to demand another U turn & provide serious support to housing associations who suffered huge cuts. Relying mainly on developers is forcing prices up.

I see Rudd announced another sly U turn today, announcing a Commissioner to oversee response to domestic violence and tackle long-term effects.

Excuse me but who has decimated that local support and forced the demise of many local voluntary organisations. Now they are boasting about creating a new response but little inform of funding needed over and above to get back to 2010 level superb example a pathetic leasership and stable government. Perhaps you May supporters can justify how you can boasting about elasterplast repairs to a service decimated by the Tories? What we do need is stronger leadership on housing and local government infrastructure support. Not a short term first aid box.

durhamjen Mon 29-May-17 09:44:43

Much better just to have a different government.