Gransnet forums

News & politics

Only labour voters welcome

(139 Posts)
Luckylegs9 Mon 29-May-17 06:39:12

This forum should be named as the heading.

rosesarered Mon 29-May-17 10:04:51

Oh it's normal for all left wing posters ( who view any other poster as 'right wing' even Lib Dems) to say that all right wing offerings are: opinions and not facts/ less intelligent/ uninformed/ etc etc ( at least on forums) they seem to think it gives themselves the upper hand.Thank goodness not in RL though.

Anniebach Mon 29-May-17 10:05:39

Do make up you mind Jen, you have claimed I am a Tory, even a Tory spy !

Chewbacca Mon 29-May-17 10:07:05

Very well put norose4. But I think the OP is being over optimistic if he/she thinks that any kind of civil, let alone courteous, arguments can be had here. Threads on the subject of politics usually follow the same format: OP thinks they have a valid opinion and starts the discussion. Very soon becomes a series of insults and arguments traded between the same posters who have the same deeply entrenched and intractable opinions that they so despise in "opposing side". This will soon be followed by endless links to the same information that has been posted many times before but rehashed. The same accusations of lack of knowledge; ignorance; political bias and betrayal will be hurled around. A couple of posters will try to join the "discussion ", but will be given short shrift and will soon disappear with their tail between their legs. More insults will follow, leading to certain posts getting deleted. Many posters back off in horror at the carnage the "discussion " has become. This will leave just 1 lonely poster who will continue to post links and epithets long into the night, with no one responding.

Good luck though OP.

durhamjen Mon 29-May-17 10:07:44

You tell me you are Labour, Annie. Why should I disbelieve you?
Do carry on arguing among yourselves.

GracesGranMK2 Mon 29-May-17 10:08:20

There are many forms of arrogance norose and expecting someone to agree with your prejudice (an opinion without a fact) is certainly one of them - hugely so and I feel very insulted by people who expect this as it says that my views, formed by research and acquiring knowledge, or by asking for that knowledge, are worthless against your prejudice.

If someone is prepared to discuss something that is put forward as such a prejudice by asking for facts that is not arrogance it is asking for facts and it is just expecting reasonable good manners from others.

I realise that as well as a difference in politics there is a big difference in the understanding of good manners and where opinion is acceptable and where it needs facts - but those who so often accuse other of arrogance are, often, the most arrogant of all.

I learned along the way in life that if someone said it was a nice day that was something not requiring proof - it wasn't going to change lives. I have just seen people in tears in a discussion over care. If you want me to believe that a particular party is not putting both care and health at risk I want facts as we have an upcoming election. This is not like asking about the weather.

rosesarered Mon 29-May-17 10:11:13

Chewbacca ???????

Jane10 Mon 29-May-17 10:11:54

Excellent summary chewbacca

harrigran Mon 29-May-17 10:14:29

Rigby you are wasted on here, you should be a diplomat.

NanaandGrampy Mon 29-May-17 10:15:12

Perfectly put Chewbacca !!

Elegran Mon 29-May-17 10:20:07

Interesting reponse to the OP by one in the "We have all the answers, this-is-the-only-way", position, and one which perfectly confirms Luckylegs' assertions.

Anyone not shouting for you, is counted as being against you? Anyone not aligning with the left, is far right?

No allowance for not-quite-as-left-as-you?
Or left-to-middle?
Or middle-but-right?
Or a mosaic of some-left-is-great-Or some-left-is-barmy?
Or some-right-has-points-some-right-is-dreadful?
Or sod-the-lot-of-them?

Or, believe it or not, some people don't actually WANT to argue you out of what you believe and intend to vote for. They are not in it to prove to you that their interpretation is not exactly the same as yours, to claw bits out of you and fight you to the death.

You are enjoying the exhilaration of combat. Be careful that under that heady influence you don't force a one-party state into being and condemn those whose paths are not perfectly parallel to your own to the Gulag.

trisher Mon 29-May-17 10:23:59

I have asked many times and never really got an answer about why people feel it is OK to support a Tory government given their appalling record on so many areas. I have never received a detailed answer. There have been some postings about how they can be trusted not to borrow- which has been disproved by showing the figures. About how they deal with the economy better (but without any evidence) and the only reason given for not trusting Labour was a note left by the last Labour gov when a similar note left by Maudlin was also posted.
I'd love someone from the right to post something really interesting and to discuss it But they don't so I can only assume they can't. All they can do is rant at left wing posters.

MawBroon Mon 29-May-17 10:30:18

With all due respect for the member's qualities and entitlement to her political opinions harrigran, diplomacy was not the word which sprang to MY mind.hmm

MawBroon Mon 29-May-17 10:31:45

And I certainly do not consider elegran's post a "rant".
Now that does constitute "diplomacy".

Elegran Mon 29-May-17 10:33:00

Since some left-wing posters rant at everyone, why should anyone bother speaking to them? Their position isn't going to shift, so why do they ask for contrary facts? Seems to me it is just so that they can keep their weapons sharpened and their retaliatory reflexes well honed.

GracesGranMK2 Mon 29-May-17 10:38:52

Of course it is a rant. It is a rant from someone who has nothing actually to say but just want an opportunity to attack others.

This thread started as and has continued as an all out, very nasty attack on one group of people. There is no argument - just attack.

norose4 Mon 29-May-17 10:39:22

?Annibach,&I agree with you Roses, they don't even realise how arrogant & blinkered & closed minded they actually are. Anyone who starts a comment with Oh Didums is hardly in a position to question the intelligence of anyone else?

rosesarered Mon 29-May-17 10:39:26

This is how it works trisher ....being a democracy we vote for whichever political party takes our fancy, we can talk about it on here if we wish to,but do not need to
Give anyone 'a detailed answer' as to why we vote as we do.You ask 'why people feel it is ok to support a Tory government', now that really is a bit alarming!
It is ok , simply because it is their choice.
Whenever somebody does explain their reasons they are then told 'how can you sleep at night' and similar childish things.

phoenix Mon 29-May-17 10:42:07

I think we'll have fog by tea time.

rosesarered Mon 29-May-17 10:42:17

Maw.... harrigran wasn't being serious! grin

MawBroon Mon 29-May-17 10:43:04

I thought elegran expressed something very valid and in a very reasonable way. No insults, no patronising, no expletives (modified/redacted/or in acronyms)
What objection could there be?
Agree t differ I suppose.
(But NOT a rant )

trisher Mon 29-May-17 10:44:32

I ask for contrary facts because I am genuinely interested in why people vote Tory Elegran I completely accept that there is a point of view that the way to run a country is to tax people very little, have little in the way of social services and support and let the fittest survive and the poorest rely on charity. This is a view that has always been behind the Tory party and is openly spoken about by people like Jacob Rees-Mogg. I don't understand why people who actually believe in a caring society and a welfare state support such a party.

rosesarered Mon 29-May-17 10:44:49

Elegran did have something to say, and she said it well.

MawBroon Mon 29-May-17 10:45:07

rosesarered Duh!! Mea maxima culpa!
Being a bear gran of very little brain I feel very blush to have taken it literally!
Sorry harrigran blush

GracesGranMK2 Mon 29-May-17 10:46:32

May I ask? The title of this thread was "Only labour voters welcome" (no question mark I see). Does this mean you feel that GN actually excludes people who are not voting Labour - I have to admit that is not my experience - or was the intention actually to exclude those who are talking about the Labour offering?

If it is neither of those - and you cannot dictate a debate however much you may wish to do so - what exactly was the intention?

Elegran Mon 29-May-17 10:51:43

* it is their choice.* No-one has to justify their choice to another!

Youtube - Misalliance - Note the last twenty words of the song.