Gransnet forums

News & politics

Oops! She's done it again!

(349 Posts)
MawBroon Mon 29-May-17 18:01:18

www.independent.co.uk/voices/diane-abbott-car-crash-interview-ira-terrorism-manchester-attack-trap-tories-liability-a7760471.html

As the article says, we all like a trier and none are more trying than Diane Abbott.

Rigby46 Tue 13-Jun-17 23:41:52

Like the country should be sure that TM can do her job properly?

Rigby46 Tue 13-Jun-17 23:41:01

I don't think it's fair to say you don't believe it - if she's not been looking after herself properly, there are all sorts of ways she could be affected - . We don't know what medication she's on but clearly she could have been having hypos which has confusion as a symptom and slurred speech. In the throes of an election campaign, not looking after yourself is quite likely - I think we should should just leave her alone. She was savaged by the media and as we know has been abused appallingly on line - just leave her alone and if she wants to us the diabetes as a bit of an excuse, then let her.

Jalima1108 Tue 13-Jun-17 23:38:25

She doesn't have to tell us anything if she doesn't want to. Her constituents may be more concerned that she can do her job properly of course.

GracesGranMK2 Tue 13-Jun-17 23:36:28

I don't think she is going to give us her full medical history but, for example, I believe there is a high incidence of hypothyroidism in people who have both types of diabetes (or diabetes in people who are hypothyroidsmile) and I can imagine that being a problem. However, I am happy to accept what she says as that may be all she is prepared to share.

Jalima1108 Tue 13-Jun-17 23:32:37

I was puzzled too daphnedill as I have a friend with type 2 diabetes and MIL was diagnosed with it too but lost weight very rapidly.

daphnedill Tue 13-Jun-17 23:20:55

Hmmm! I'm afraid I don't quite believe it. I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes nearly 30 years ago. It's a very misunderstood disease and is very different from Type 1.

Unless it's already so severe that she's already taking insulin or sulfonylureas, she won't get hypos. She certainly wouldn't need to carry glucose tablets, which one of her aides claimed.

Type 2 diabetes causes long term damage to the nervous and vascular system. The short term symptoms are extreme tiredness when blood glucose is too high, poor recovery from infections and needing to go to the loo very frequently. All can make daily living quite challenging.

It's highly unlikely that T2 diabetes would cause the kind of brain fog which Abbott seemed to suffer during he car crash interviews. I suspect something else is going on.

GracesGranMK2 Tue 13-Jun-17 22:38:28

Diane Abbott reveals illness and hits out at 'vicious' Tory campaign

And in her first interview since stepping aside because of illness at the end of the campaign, the Labour frontbencher also revealed for the first time that she had been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes two years ago, and said that was why she had taken a break.

durhamjen Mon 12-Jun-17 23:10:56

Brilliant, this. Diane Abbott wins hands down.

www.indy100.com/article/diane-abbott-general-election-shadow-home-secretary-hackney-labour-jeremy-corbyn-sexist-racist-7784746

Jalima1108 Sat 10-Jun-17 23:20:57

I wish I could believe in unicorns
daphnedill shock have you never seen one??
Of course, you're not a granny yet, are you - as far as I know?
They will appear to you one day.

daphnedill Sat 10-Jun-17 23:07:08

I wish I could believe in unicorns.

Methinks Diane Abbott's majority speaks for itself. I wish her well for recovery from whatever is wrong with her.

durhamjen Sat 10-Jun-17 21:56:08

Here's an interesting fact; Diane Abbott's majority was only 2000 votes short of May's full vote.

durhamjen Sat 10-Jun-17 20:45:29

www.indy100.com/article/diane-abbott-campaign-victory-labour-party-hung-parliament-election-2017-landslide-7780921?utm_source=indy&utm_medium=top5&utm_campaign=i100

Iam64 Sat 10-Jun-17 18:40:38

I'm very fond of unicorns daphnedill, I'll have no truck with folks who spread untrue gossip about them.

daphnedill Sat 10-Jun-17 15:56:46

So was I Jalima. You can tell I'm bored.

Yup! That's right! They voted for a Marxist, terrorist-loving philanderer! grin

Anything else? Got any stories about unicorns?

stillaliveandkicking Sat 10-Jun-17 15:49:13

I actually didn't know this, well sort of saw a couple of "Marxist" quotes now and again but took no notice. Blimey, and people still kept him in a voted for him :/

Jalima1108 Sat 10-Jun-17 15:47:06

I was looking forward to something new and juicy.

daphnedill Sat 10-Jun-17 15:42:07

But we knew all that! Haven't you got any new gossip?

stillaliveandkicking Sat 10-Jun-17 15:40:48

Apparently he's been knocking around with a few terrorists and has supported undemocratic causes for years. BBC swerve/cover-up yet again.

Jalima1108 Sat 10-Jun-17 15:33:31

Well, if you mean Emily, then that incident was a misplaced 'high five'

Jalima1108 Sat 10-Jun-17 15:31:09

Yes please tell, I like a bit of gossip!

stillaliveandkicking Sat 10-Jun-17 15:24:09

Not one to report but Azie, you've just been reported.

stillaliveandkicking Sat 10-Jun-17 15:20:04

People that Corbyn has been knocking around with of course.

MawBroon Sat 10-Jun-17 15:19:47

I don't know if this is relevant or not to the election result from K &C, but it was always my experience that as well as the very rich, there were also large numbers of what we used to call council tenants and indeed some huge council estates. Anybody remember the TV. Prog called (I think) The Hidden(?) Sreets of London " which highlighted the extreme social differences between two ends of just one road in Notting Hill.
This is from the K&C website.
Kensington and Chelsea is one of the most popular areas to live in the UK. It is one of the most densely populated boroughs in the country, with an estimated 158,700 people living here. According to the 2011 Census figures about 25 per cent of households live in social housing (which includes homes rented from the Council and housing associations), and 36 per cent live in the private rented sector. This is much higher than the London average. With such high demand and a shortage of accommodation of all descriptions, house prices and rent can be very high.

Azie09 Sat 10-Jun-17 15:13:29

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

daphnedill Sat 10-Jun-17 15:08:37

Go on the saak! Spill the beans! What's coming out that wasn't known about before the election?