Gransnet forums

News & politics

I'm going to state the bl**ding obvious, you have been warned.

(48 Posts)
phoenix Tue 30-May-17 19:44:30

Nothing is free.

NHS, designed to be free at the point of delivery.

XYZ amount of childcare hours, free.

TV licence for the over (insert age).

Winter fuel allowance.

Road tax (or whatever they call it now) for certain vehicles.

It all has to be paid for somehow.

And before anyone shoots me, I did make it clear in the thread title that I would be stating the bleeding obvious.

Right, that's me done, back to anything non political. I'm going to be one of those people that starts a thread and then doesn't bother to return to it, so again I have made myself clear, so none of that "Oh, the OP hasn't come back" stuff.

I am now going off to eat my supper and to ponder whether it would be:
A. Fun
B. Scary
C. Totally ridiculous

to temporarily dye my short grey hair pale pink.

Wishing you all an enjoyable, and harmonious evening.

P. xx

shysal Wed 31-May-17 16:39:49

Glad you were brave, Phoenix. Just a word (or few)of warning. The temporary colour doesn't completely disappear for many weeks. I still have the remnants of red streaks (now pink) on brown hair about 4 months later.

glammanana Wed 31-May-17 16:50:24

I wish I where brave enough to use the colour I have been toying with the idea of just doing my fringe pink/purple for a couple of months but don't have the courage.Bet yours looks good on short hair Phoenix

grannypiper Wed 31-May-17 17:40:29

Bet your hair looks fantastic pheonix next time try baby blue

phoenix Wed 31-May-17 17:52:21

Thanks all!

Quite pleased with it, although because my natural hair colour is now many different (not quite 50 wink) shades of grey, it has taken in differing strengths, but looks ok, a neighbour commented on it very favourably when I was putting a chicken carcass in the wheelie bin.

Life in the fast lane, go to the salon, get a haircut, persuade your sceptical hairdresser to slap this stuff on your bonce, get brows, lip and chin waxed and then? Lunch in a good bistro with a chum? A trip round the shops looking for new clothes to go with your hair? No, home to deal with a chicken carcass and change the litter tray. blush grin

glamma you could always try using hair chalk on your fringe to see how you like the effect? There are loads on that long river website.

Looking forward to going to work tomorrow, see what comments the troops come out with! (If any of them are printable, I'll let you know!)

PS Just ordered a lavender one!

Galen Wed 31-May-17 18:47:05

Have you seen the new rainbow hairdyes? Support the TGBL!

phoenix Wed 31-May-17 18:53:59

Oh Galen a link, please?

There are loads of colours available on Amazon, but always good to find more.

Coolgran65 Wed 31-May-17 19:00:24

Phoenix Any chance of a pic. Please.

Coolgran65 Wed 31-May-17 19:07:38

About January the Hairdresser did mine... pale pink slices. Noone really noticed.

Then I did it myself and got shocking pink splodge which faded with daily washing and eventually I like the colour. So many people commented about how much fun the bright one was.

PamelaJ1 Wed 31-May-17 19:20:48

A work colleague of my DH dyed the back of her hair purple. Although she didn't know it this earned her the nickname ' tuppy '
For those of you lacking a farming background- this is a sheep related term.

PamelaJ1 Wed 31-May-17 19:22:21

Sorry forgot to say I'm not rich but happy to help the deserving poor but not the others.

phoenix Wed 31-May-17 19:40:39

I get the "tuppy" reference!

When I had sheep we would fit the ram with a raddle, and change the colour of the dye, start with yellow, then gradually go to darker colours, so that we could get an idea of when they were due to lamb.

Useless fact, ram in Bonfire Night, lambs out April Fools day. Obviously not 100% accurate, but a reasonable indicator.

The raddle would leave a coloured mark on the back of the ewe that he had mated, otherwise known as "covered" or "tupped"

Jalima1108 Wed 31-May-17 19:52:49

Oh dear paddyann [sigh]

Right, how about if politicans dyed their hair according to their party colours? Theresa a blue rinse [lol], Jeremy red streaks and as for Tim hmm
Caroline might look quite fetching with a green dye (I do know someone with green hair; mine went green once but that was by accident).

Jalima1108 Wed 31-May-17 19:53:59

I can't see wotsiname, the UKIP blokey, with purple as he hasn't got any hair to speak of has he?
Perhaps a purple beard?

grannylyn65 Wed 31-May-17 20:51:10

Picture, now !!!

annodomini Wed 31-May-17 21:56:02

He could have a tattoo on his bald head, jalima. grin

phoenix Wed 31-May-17 22:35:07

Sorry, can't do photo, haven't got a phone that takes them blush

When Mr P comes home on Friday, may be able to do it, but as he is just about getting the hang of the basics on his new phone, don't hold you breath!

phoenix Wed 31-May-17 22:47:37

coolgran looks really good, and you look very young envy

I'm getting really pissed off fed up with this ageing malarkey, it seems to have not only crept up on me, but overtaken at great speed, sucking me along in its wake.

I'm sure I was only about 35 last week...............

rubylady Wed 31-May-17 22:52:09

Well done Phoenix, I admire you. I wish I could see your hair though. Maybe I should rock up at hospital with something similar? Bright pink or purple? I can't have a tattoo now so hair colour is the next best thing? X

grannypiper Thu 01-Jun-17 09:04:35

Go for it Rubylady

NfkDumpling Thu 01-Jun-17 15:33:38

I once said I'd intended to have a tattoo for my 60 birthday, but chickened out. 70th is fast approaching and DiL wants us to go together. DH is most disparaging, but I do wonder how long it'd be before he noticed a small dragonfly on my shoulder.

Jane10 Thu 01-Jun-17 18:46:41

I got one for my 40th.

Coolgran65 Thu 01-Jun-17 20:07:42

Phoenix you can only see my hair and it looks young because it's dyed.

I'm 68 and my neck recently is really bad. At night when I wake up (poor sleeper) I find the fold in my neck is soaking. Doesn't that sound disgusting...... it certainly feels horrible.
Turkey neck... gobble gobble