Gransnet forums

News & politics

I'm going to state the bl**ding obvious, you have been warned.

(47 Posts)
phoenix Tue 30-May-17 19:44:30

Nothing is free.

NHS, designed to be free at the point of delivery.

XYZ amount of childcare hours, free.

TV licence for the over (insert age).

Winter fuel allowance.

Road tax (or whatever they call it now) for certain vehicles.

It all has to be paid for somehow.

And before anyone shoots me, I did make it clear in the thread title that I would be stating the bleeding obvious.

Right, that's me done, back to anything non political. I'm going to be one of those people that starts a thread and then doesn't bother to return to it, so again I have made myself clear, so none of that "Oh, the OP hasn't come back" stuff.

I am now going off to eat my supper and to ponder whether it would be:
A. Fun
B. Scary
C. Totally ridiculous

to temporarily dye my short grey hair pale pink.

Wishing you all an enjoyable, and harmonious evening.

P. xx

grannypiper Tue 30-May-17 19:59:00

Pheonix Go pink, it will be all of the above.
You are right,nothing is "free", you have to rob Peter to pay Paul. Shame the snp dont understand that, to be fair none of the parties grasp that fact.

Jane10 Tue 30-May-17 20:01:56

Phoenix for prime minister!

annsixty Tue 30-May-17 20:19:15

I don't quite get it but then I'm not very bright.
Are you decrieing, advocating ? but if you don't come back I will never know.
If opinion is sought I would go for a deeper pink than pale it will make more of an impact.

Jalima1108 Tue 30-May-17 20:21:17

I fancy lavender but it won't show on my hair.

Years ago a colleague said she always voted Labour because she believed that all utilities should be free - water, gas, electricity etc and she thought they would be the party to introduce that.
What she never seemed to grasp was that somehow these have to be paid for and if people receive everything free they do not value it, use it carefully, think of the cost or think of the needs of others.

The NHS is an example of this, most people value it but others take it for granted.

phoenix Tue 30-May-17 20:34:12

Ok, I'm going to break a promise (how political is that!)

annsixty not decrying or advocating, just as I said, the parties talk about "free" this and that, grannypiper and jalima probably put it better than I did.

With regard to the hair, I already have a bottle of temporary colour labelled "baby pink", confused so that is the one I'm tempted to try.

The range has a huge range of colours, last about 8 washes (apparently) just don't know if it would look daft.

As you were...........

POGS Tue 30-May-17 20:44:57

Ah but it could be ' free ' when somebody else is paying for it!

Jane10 Tue 30-May-17 20:50:42

Ah yes. OPM - other people's money. We're all keen on that!

Ana Tue 30-May-17 21:00:19

Or just print some more - that's an old favourite of certain governments.

NfkDumpling Tue 30-May-17 21:03:23

The other people being the Rich. They won't miss it or immediately move it to somewhere cheaper. They'll be all conscientious and give freely.

NfkDumpling Tue 30-May-17 21:04:28

Or could always borrow it.

rosesarered Tue 30-May-17 21:04:53

Well, with someone elses money we will all be 'in the pink'
I think you should buy a few differently coloured wigs/hairpieces Phoenix then you wouldn't suffer all this angst over what colour to be next.grin and if you didn't like it you can just take it off.Look on the Internet, they are not all expensive ones.

ninny Tue 30-May-17 21:16:17

Jeremy might offer us oldies free hair dye until we die, a shampoo and set once a month, free gel nails, what would sway you to vote for him.grin

paddyann Tue 30-May-17 21:24:43

we all know NOTHING is free ...we also know that any one with an ounce of social morals or conscience ...will see that there are people who are vulnerable ,sick,,disabled through NO FAULT of their own and they should be supported ...that surely is christian behaviour? Or just common sense. Grannypiper the SNP manifesto is costed ,unlike the others...our budget is fixed and we stay within it EVEN manage to mitigate the effects of austerity for those hit hardest by it.If you're happy to live in a country where people have to decide whether they can pay for medication or buy food then I feel very sad for you.Thankfully there are a lot of us here who think differently to you.

kittylester Tue 30-May-17 21:47:42

Oh dear!

Yes definitely go for it and probably don't come backgrin.

Smileless2012 Tue 30-May-17 21:52:10

So if there's another Scottish Independence Referendum paddyann will you vote to 'stay' as part of the UK so Scotland can afford to stay within its budget?

phoenix Tue 30-May-17 22:07:53

kitty (breaking stated intention again blush ) are you telling me to go for the pink hair and then not come back? sad

I hope/think not, but never take anything for granted (except death, taxes and misunderstandings on GN)

rubylady Wed 31-May-17 01:59:47

Go for the pink Phoenix, what does it matter if you look daft? I bet you'll look stunning.

There is a lot of waste in the hospitals, gloves and aprons on and off all day, each nurse, doctor, auxiliary, cleaners but none recycled, just thrown away as was a lot of food too. Corners cut in other ways, cleanliness and staff not checking tablets taken by patients on one ward. Told Matron but still no change. X

kittylester Wed 31-May-17 06:46:08

Yes to pink hair, phoenix

The thread looked as though it had taken a turn for the serious so I was suggesting that it might be wise to avoid it!! grin

Ruby, when you are better maybe you could take charge of waste in the nhs - I'm sure you'd be brilliant. I wouldn't mind being your deputy!!

daphnedill Wed 31-May-17 06:51:22

Sorry! I don't agree that gloves and aprons should be recycled or worn more than once. MRSA is a real problem in hospitals.

NfkDumpling Wed 31-May-17 06:55:22

Ruby you can be a phantom shopper and write a report on what you see.

grannypiper Wed 31-May-17 09:30:18

You are right Paddyann they have done a fantastic job, here in East Ayrshire the have starred, closed the libraries, the swimming pools, the fitness centres, the nearly new games halls and the golf courses, leaving the teenagers with nothing to do but drink and get into trouble. Villages like Patna, Dalmellington, Cumnock and New Cumnock have been left to die. Great job and no its not Westminsters fault its the snp who are to blame, free prescriptions to people earning £50,000 a year ? Free eye tests to people on £100,000 a year, why ? thats really clever. Of course people out of work should be given free prescriptions, eye tests and glasses but if you earn a decent wage you should be paying. As the OP said everything has to be paid for

rosesarered Wed 31-May-17 09:44:43

Well, I say pink hair for all, no matter how much you are earning, pink hair dye should be free at the point of delivery, so there! ?

annsixty Wed 31-May-17 09:55:37

Blue for me please, no I am not a conservative, perish the thought, but when I was young the " blue hair brigade " of older ladies were always elegant and seemed rather "posh" and in my mind "posh " was what I aspired to. I never did get there.

phoenix Wed 31-May-17 15:57:52

Well, I did it! Now, which colour shall I try next..............grin