Gransnet forums

News & politics

Conservative voters don't look at this

(300 Posts)
FarNorth Wed 31-May-17 12:25:21

www.facebook.com/theguardian/videos/690794987774934/

This video shows the reality of life for a disabled person after seven years of a Conservative government (with a little help from the LibDems).

Is she an unusual exception, I wonder?

Jane10 Wed 31-May-17 14:07:00

There are always exceptions. I volunteer at a centre where the majority of the people are disabled in a variety of ways. Some have a fairly massive amount of support and benefits, others are less fortunate. A lot seems to depend on knowing the right wording to use in application forms. The change from DLA to PIP has led to winners and losers among the service users. Vociferous families seem to me to gain surprisingly large packages of care and benefits. Squeaky wheel principle? Others somehow feel they shouldn't be applying and they are usually the ones that seem to me to need it most.

merlotgran Wed 31-May-17 14:15:47

There's another thread about this.

M0nica Wed 31-May-17 14:36:34

Does anyone really think things like this will not occur under a different government? It didn't last time.

yggdrasil Wed 31-May-17 16:52:19

We haven't had a Labour government since before Thatcher. That was a different time & world

M0nica Wed 31-May-17 17:41:24

Rubbish, just because in retrospect Tony Blair did things you didn't like, doesn't change history. From 1997 to 2010 we had a Labour government. To say anything else smacks of 1984.

whitewave Wed 31-May-17 17:43:41

May called for a general election, and yet she is refusing to participate in it.

Ana Wed 31-May-17 17:46:49

Oh do stop going on about May, whitewave. You're obsesed!

Ana Wed 31-May-17 17:47:10

obsessed

whitewave Wed 31-May-17 17:51:32

grin you have surpassed yourself ana

yggdrasil Wed 31-May-17 17:57:38

"Rubbish, just because in retrospect Tony Blair did things you didn't like, doesn't change history. From 1997 to 2010 we had a Labour government. To say anything else smacks of 1984."

NEW Labour if you don't mind. Stuck with Thatcher's policies, removed Clause 4, and sucked up to the US.

Jane10 Wed 31-May-17 19:50:16

The more you lot slag Theresa May, the more I'm inclined to like her. Keep going. Its nice for you to have your little gang reinforcing your opinions. Certainly leaves me cold. Who else I wonder?

durhamjen Wed 31-May-17 20:46:28

You've still only got one vote, Jane. Use it wisely.

Welshwife Wed 31-May-17 20:48:04

If people voted for those who were continually being'slagged off' Jeremy Corbyn would win by a huge majority. !!!

Jane10 Wed 31-May-17 20:53:15

Of course I will dj!

paddyann Wed 31-May-17 20:57:49

this video broke my heart ,my daughter has a crippling illness,spends 5 out of 7 days bedridden EVERY week I would hate if she was left like this poor soul without help ,without food ,honestly I think the tories have their own "Final solution " in mind ,going by the number of people passed as fit for work who DIE within weeks that can be the only explanation.Why else would they be paying far more for the so called assesments than they would in the benefits these people need? Can ANY tory voter explain that to me ? ANY tory voter there who even understands it.

durhamjen Wed 31-May-17 22:17:14

Jane, have you watched that video?
If you have and you still think it's okay to vote for May, you really are beyond the pale.

rosesarered Wed 31-May-17 22:27:12

Oh do stop being on a high moral horse.Tragic cases can be found at any time and under any political party in charge.Often the failings are by bureaucracy, rather than by anyone being deliberately cruel.

Jalima1108 Wed 31-May-17 23:03:55

There are already a number of pilot projects around the country whereby those receiving Incapacity Benefit and Disability Premium are being called into social security offices for a ‘work-focussed interview’. Failure to attend means sanctions, i. e. a cut to one’s benefits. In Chesterfield they managed to call someone in a coma for one of these interviews (we don’t know whether he made it!).

That is shocking.

It happened in 2004.

New Labour started off in office by cutting Lone Parents benefit. It would seem that it wishes to follow the German SPD out of office by making the most drastic attack on disabiity benefits of any Government.
Of course New Labour, if it really thinks that Disability Premium is an ‘incentive’ not to work could raise the miserable levels of IB/Income Support, but instead of saving nearly £3 billion a year (almost paying for the war in Iraq) would have to fund the increase from higher taxation for the rich and that would never do.

Eloethan Thu 01-Jun-17 01:07:52

The following is a very abridged version of an article in the New Statesman in April 2015. The full article gives case studies of people with severe disabilities such as cerebral palsy whose lives have been severely affected by the cuts. www.newstatesman.com/politics/2015/04/disability-audit-eight-coalition-policies-have-hit-disabled-people

"The coalition’s cuts have fallen 18 times harder on severely disabled people in poverty than on the average citizen. Disabled people are losing £28bn of support – with individuals hit by up to six different cuts.

Here are eight coalition policies that have hit disabled people:
1. Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
By this time last March Atos had quit its £500m contract administrating the coalition’s now infamous “fit to work” test. But Atos – and its replacement, Maximus – are the private sector monkey to the Department for Work and Pension’s (DWP) organ grinder. Last year, it emerged that people with degenerative conditions were being judged by the WCA as likely to “recover” enough to look for work.

2. Personal Independence Payments (PIP)
At the same time as the crisis with ESA, the government decided to scrap Disability Living Allowance (DLA), replacing it with the “tougher” Personal Independence Payments (PIP). A year into the reform, parliament’s public spending watchdog was calling the government’s handling of PIP “nothing short of a fiasco” – with widespread delays and reports of claimants being hospitalised due to the stress of the process.

3. Bedroom tax
Almost two thirds of the tenants hit by the policy are from households that contain someone who has a disability – that’s over 400,000. Savings have been nominal – and have only come off the back of pushing some of the most disadvantaged people in society into debt, rent arrears, and worsening health.

4. Council tax
The bedroom tax may have grabbed the headlines but it came at the same time as another, equally appalling hit on the ability of the so-called “vulnerable” to pay the rent. From April 2013, the government slashed funding for council tax benefit by £500m, leaving cash-strapped local authorities to decide how the remainder should be distributed. The result? 2.3m families previously exempt now have to pay at least a portion of their council tax – that’s the poorest, the disabled, and carers.

5. Independent Living Fund (ILF)
For its users, the Independent Living fund helped 18,000 of some of the most severely disabled people to live in their own homes – making the difference between living independently as an adult rather than going into residential care.

The supposed transfer of responsibility for care provision to local authorities isn't ring-fenced, meaning hard-pressed local councils have no obligation to spend it on current recipients.

6. Social care
Social care has had over £3.5bn taken from its funding by the coalition over the past four years, according to Adass, directors of adult social services. The result has been councils forced to reduce the number of disabled people dubbed as eligible for it – essentially abandoning adults with severe disabilities to live without even basic help.

By the end of the decade, the Local Government Association and Adass estimate there will be a £4.3bn funding “black hole” in adult social care. Scope’s report, “The Other Care Crisis”, puts it clearly: “Austerity has pushed the system to crisis point...turning back the clock on disabled people’s independence.”
7. Access to Work
For a government obsessed with “hardworking families” and “making work pay”, changes like PIP or social care have not only been immoral but counterproductive. Cutting the support disabled people need to get dressed and leave the house tends to make it difficult for them to be able to turn up to work.

8. Benefit sanctions
There are no legitimate grounds to remove the money people need in order to eat, whether that person begins as the picture of health or is sitting in a wheelchair. But it gives some insight into the mentality of the system that as of last year, the number of benefit sanctions against disabled and chronically ill people had risen by 580 per cent."

Luckylegs9 Thu 01-Jun-17 06:51:18

It is a disgrace that someone with severe needs are not treated with compassion and dignity. All those benefit cheats and tax dodgers should be ashamed, these are the people that in a civilised society should be helped. If that money was available think of all those that could be helped.The last Labour Government left us with the biggest debt for Tories to pay off. The NHS now deliver that much extra care that it was designed for. Heart, lung and kidney transplants, cancer treatments, that many and various illnesses.In an emergency everyone can get help, yes you will always hear of mistakes, because care is people based and people, especialky when overworked and tired can make mistakes. I am realistic enough to accept that you cannot keep borrowing out of debt, which is a Labour concept.

whitewave Thu 01-Jun-17 07:06:52

You make it up as you go along lucky ?

Welshwife Thu 01-Jun-17 07:15:23

I suppose the Banks had nothing to do with the debt?
The Tory Govt since 2010 have borrowed more money than the Labour Govt - £580+ Billion - and in a time of austerity budgets --- no money saving there at all despite the poorest people suffering.

Anya Thu 01-Jun-17 07:26:29

Luckylegs you are so wrong. Labour might have left a big deficit but they cut borrowing.

If you check the facts you will find that the Tories may have cut the deficit but they have run up the biggest National Debt ever.

This is fact not ill-informed opinion and can be checked. I posted a link earlier this week from a reputable source that deals only in facts and figures.

Anyone can reduce the deficit by simply borrowing more. Thus is what the Tories have done. Check it out if you don't believe me.

GracesGranMK2 Thu 01-Jun-17 07:58:18

Luckylegs why do you come on here? You don't take any notice of facts put to you; you just repeat the prejudices (opinion not based on fact) you have. I am intrigued to know why you expect from that. Do you expect to find people with like minded prejudice? Do you think others will listen to Luckylegs unsubstantiated opinion and agree while we can listen to other who will give us facts.

How many people cheat benefits?
What does borrowing out of debt actually mean?
What percentage of GDP do we pay into our NHS and how does that compare to other countries?

Find some reality in you life for heavens sake and stop living in Daily Wail land.