Gransnet forums

News & politics

tonight's tv debate

(135 Posts)
varian Wed 31-May-17 20:04:56

Are you watching tonight's tv debate?

There is the leader of the Liberal Democrats, Tim Farron, leader of the Labour party, Jeremy Corbyn, leader of the Greens, Caroline Lucas, leader of Plaid Cymru, Leanne Wood, deputy leader of SNP, Angus Robertson, leader of UKIP, Paul Nuttall and someone called Amber Rudd, who seems to be standing in for the leader of the Tories.

What do you make of it?

Anniebach Wed 31-May-17 21:36:25

Reminds me of the Clegg hysteria, coalition followed by end of lib Dems , history repeats and repeats, there is always a loser in a coalition

daphnedill Wed 31-May-17 21:36:43

Farron usually speaks well and is a competent TV performer. He's a not a posh southerner, so I think your criticisms of his language are misplaced.

rosesarered Wed 31-May-17 21:36:57

I wonder what the viewing figures will be, anything political only gets a tiny audience of the population.

Lazigirl Wed 31-May-17 21:37:10

I agree daphnedill but I suspect it's mostly the politically engaged who watch these debates, and they won't decide the election result. Many voters may not even be aware that the PM couldn't be arsed didn't turn up to debate tonight.

daphnedill Wed 31-May-17 21:38:04

There are millions of people outside your bubble who speak like that.

rosesarered Wed 31-May-17 21:38:06

Sigh,iPad.....a tiny amount not audience.

rosesarered Wed 31-May-17 21:39:53

I'm not a posh Southerner either,( not even a Southerner) and there is a difference between accent and being able to string a few sentences together smoothly.

Gemmag Wed 31-May-17 21:41:34

As if we didn't know!!.

Answer to your question, NOT A LOT.

What a bunch of ??????

daphnedill Wed 31-May-17 21:43:34

Unfortunately that's true Lazigirl.

My son thinks I'm a fascist, because I think there should be a "votership test". Why not? Xenophobes think there should be a "citizenship test".

I can't take democracy seriously wnen people fall for tabloid headlines and myths or vote on the basis of a potential PM's hat.

durhamjen Wed 31-May-17 21:45:10

Was Andrew another typo, roses?
Angus Robertson.

Lazigirl, I think anyone who watches any news tonight or reads a paper tomorrow will know that May did not turn up.

daphnedill Wed 31-May-17 21:45:16

grin @ rosesarered.

durhamjen Wed 31-May-17 21:47:56

www.thenational.scot/news/15317999.Kevin_McKenna__Leaked_memo_from_BBC_HQ_____How_to_treat_Theresa_May_and_Jeremy_Corbyn/?ref=mrb&lp=2

rosesarered Wed 31-May-17 21:53:21

Oh dear did I type the wrong name..........hysterically funny isn't it?
I must remember to pull others up in future on that ( but no, that would be bad manners really.)

Lazigirl Wed 31-May-17 21:54:17

Hope so dj. I am horrifies by the criticism of Fallon's grammar. Does this mean he should be discouraged from participation in public debate until he learns proper sentence construction?

rosesarered Wed 31-May-17 21:55:28

I think that T May was well out of the shambles of this shouting match debate.

Anniebach Wed 31-May-17 21:56:40

Posters get pulled up here for misspelling a word

rosesarered Wed 31-May-17 21:57:58

Lazigirl .... you are easily horrified.
Any politician who takes part in public debates should really be able to speak well
( nothing to do with accent) it's hard to get your points across properly if you can't.

daphnedill Wed 31-May-17 22:03:07

There are millions of people in the UK who have a restricted lexis and non-standard syntax. It doesn't mean that they are incapable of complex thought, but they haven't had the advantage of entitlement and presentational skills, as offered by places such as Eton.

The irony is that these people were given a vote in the EU referendum, even though people look down on them.

Make your mind up!

varian Wed 31-May-17 22:04:51

T M's heroine Margaret Thatcher only occasionaly slipped back into her local vernacular way of speaking, but I seem to remember her accusing someone of being "frit" because they had bottled out of a difficult challenge.

I wonder how "frit" her fan Theresa was tonight? Could she have done any better than her poor stand in?

durhamjen Wed 31-May-17 22:06:00

Lazigirl, maybe all the ex-miners are also getting above their stations. There are a lot up north.

You should hear me, daphne! Roses wouldn't like it at all.

durhamjen Wed 31-May-17 22:08:50

Maybe it was her face that May really didn't want to show, rather than her accent.

rosesarered Wed 31-May-17 22:09:40

Oh, did the Welsh and Scots leaders and Nuttall go to places like Eton?
I hadn't heard Farron speak much before tonight ( not at length anyway) so I was surprised at how poor his speaking was.Not doubting his ( or anyone else's) genuineness or political principles, just what he said and how he said it.

Ana Wed 31-May-17 22:09:47

Someone on here already made a big thing about TM beng 'frit' varian. Could have been you, I suppose...

rosesarered Wed 31-May-17 22:11:06

You know full well durhamjen that I am as Northern as you are.Stop being silly.

Tegan2 Wed 31-May-17 22:16:17

David Cameron was incredibly articulate and look at the mess he's landed us all in sad[prior to doing a runner that is].....