Gransnet forums

News & politics

Special treatment by the courts.

(30 Posts)
Luckylegs9 Fri 02-Jun-17 07:53:43

I was reading in our local paper about that awful surgeon that mutilated and maimed so many. It was stated that he had special treatment in the court, he was allowed 9 people to support him in court , instead if 1 like everyone else, got, treated with deference by court officials because of his manner, he was not handcuffered when sentenced . Why? Also all the palatial homes, here and abroad made from his deeds are not confiscated. He is likely to be out in 6/7 years to his millions, yet has left thousands with life changing injuries or life threatening. That isn't justice. How can his family stand by him?

Jane10 Fri 02-Jun-17 08:03:51

Its all very odd. I don't understand why other staff hadn't complained about him before. There must have been anaesthetists and nurses involved in all these ops both pre and post op.Mammograms must have been reviewed by radiographers etc. Even after he was reported he was still able to work. The whole system let these women down.

Anya Fri 02-Jun-17 08:07:55

I wouldn't believe all you read in the papers. Nothing I can find in the nationals about this.

Christinefrance Fri 02-Jun-17 08:10:23

Other staff did complain Jane but were ignored. I believe one nurse 'left' after whistle blowing.

Anya Fri 02-Jun-17 08:21:50

My post was about his 'special treatment'. God help him in prison.

Jane raises a very valid point as does Christine about whistle-blowing. A very difficult thing to do with the 'old-boy network' that still exists.

petra Fri 02-Jun-17 09:12:47

There was an hour long programme about him on channel 5. other surgeons were flagging him up 20 yrs ago
So far it has cost us, the tax payer, over £18 mil in compensation.

sunseeker Fri 02-Jun-17 09:18:32

As it has been proved that he has carried out unnecessary operations isn't there a case for his victims to sue him in the civil court and claim compensation from him direct rather than the NHS having to pay it. If this is not possible because compensation has already been paid then the NHS should sue him for the money they have had to pay out

Anniebach Fri 02-Jun-17 09:43:14

How can anyone seperate properties bought from money made by legal means and ilegal means?

Jane10 Fri 02-Jun-17 09:43:28

It is just awful that this should have happened. What a strange man. Was he just really incompetent and genuinely thought that he was right or did he maliciously set out to injure these poor patients?
I suppose all operations are assaults but licensed ones. Makes you think.

Jaycee5 Sat 03-Jun-17 09:41:22

There should definitely be a proceeds of crime order made and his assets confiscated. These are applied for after a conviction so it may still happen but I believe that it is the police who do it and they are very short staffed now and it is the kind of thing that may get shelved just because of time and staffing factors. It is important though. Hopefully some of the victims will sue for compensation but they should not have to do that.

Anniebach Sat 03-Jun-17 09:53:20

When his victims sue then he will have to sell up unless he has millions in the bank, is his property in his name or his family?

radicalnan Sat 03-Jun-17 09:59:50

I used to investigate NHS complaints and this case doesn't surprise me at all. I wonder why other staff are not prosecuted as accessories? It is as bad to say nothing but culture within NHS is to cover things up, whistle blowers are not protected and frequently never work again. Is that what we really want?

The Being Open policy is voluntary and was launched in 2005 and had to be re launched in 2009 and still hospitals fall foul of these major scandals.

I suppose his family, like the family of Rolf Harris don't want to lose the money he has. The law has been woefully inadequate in this case and his property should be confiscated to cover all the losses and parts of him removed too.

As for the support he was allowed that is just corruption at work and the judge ought to be sacked, vulnerable people aren't allowed much support, why him?

rosesarered Sat 03-Jun-17 10:10:50

Why should he have been handcuffed in court, he is not a violent offender and we are not the US.

Kim19 Sat 03-Jun-17 10:14:33

My son works with the NHS and he goes ballistic when I suggest whistleblowing. He knows the awful outcomes that have ensued for many of his past colleagues and slightly for himself but he moved on quickly. I cannot go into specific details here but he assures me it is neither welcome or recommended in practice. Usually huge and awful consequences for anyone who has the courage and conscience. I'm no longer judgemental or critical of those who don't bite the bullet.

Blinko Sat 03-Jun-17 10:24:36

His assets should surely be sequestered and offset against the compensation payments. I do not understand why this has not been done. Mind you, recalling the disgraceful business with bhs tycoon Philip Green, these people no doubt have methods of secreting any assets away from the hand of the law. Unlike us poor buggers....

Lewlew Sat 03-Jun-17 10:43:04

Maybe he will do a 'Shipman' and save the taxpayer a lot of money. Being American born, I am not a fan of the state imposed death-penalty, but have no problem with someone's conscience catching up with them, or the brutality of prison life. They can sentence themselves.

NannyMargaret48 Sat 03-Jun-17 10:47:35

I also cannot understand his daughters standing by him

Kim19 Sat 03-Jun-17 11:16:29

NannyMargaret48, have you ever tried to wonder what you would do (feel) if any one of your children did something heinous? Put a face and feet to it and see what you come up with. I'm quite amazed by my own thinking along these lines. Mind you, I freely admit that fantasy is completely different to reality but - shame or otherwise: who knows - I've sometimes thought I might even help my sons in even a case of murder. All theory but.........

Jane10 Sat 03-Jun-17 11:20:56

I know that whistle-blowers have a very hard time! However, what happened to doctors swearing to do no harm? Is it OK to see it done?
In our NHS they were apparently very keen to support whistle-blowers but the practice was very different. Doctors close ranks. Sometimes this is understandable but not in this case.

M0nica Sat 03-Jun-17 11:26:56

No-one is all bad. I am not defending his crimes or his sentence, and I have seen no information at all about his family but he may have been a loving father and husband and his family may well have not known about his appalling behaviour at work.

If it was discovered out of the blue that either of my children or even DH had been committing misdemeanours at work, I would stand by them because all my experience of them is good and kind and loving and what is love if it is switched off the moment someone does something you would not approve of.

EllaKeat Sat 03-Jun-17 12:39:20

This case has really 'affected' me. I say affected like that because i am not depressed, anxious or losing sleep over it, but I am suprised by how I have reacted to it.

Ten years ago i went to my GP with what i thiught was mastitis. Being in a very lucky position of having private healthcare insurance, when he referred me, i was able to see a Consultant at a Spire clinic the next day. Ten days later, i had my first mastectomy. Following chemotherapy and radiotherapy, i had a second mastectomy and reconstruction.
I then went on to have an Oopherectomy because the BC had spread to my ovaries.

Now, logically, i KNOW i had breast cancer. I KNOW that the treatment was necessary, but i have never really and truly believed there was anything wrong with me. I felt, and was, too healthy. All emotions, of course, and nothing logical about it, but watching the news story really brought home how angry i still feel about how my body was disfigured - for good reason- and how these poor women, and men, must feel going through this for no reason at all.

This post probably does not make sense ??

Granny23 Sat 03-Jun-17 13:32:12

EllaKeat Makes perfect sense to me. Apart from everything else this man has done, the court case will have resurrected the trauma for every women who has had a Mastectomy. Also raised extra questions and issues for those currently in this situation, whose trust in the Medical Professionals advising them must be dented to some extent.

Leaves me pondering too on the merits of a universal, not for profit, System of Health Care, which is adequately funded, negating the need to seek private, expensive, medical help to speed up treatment or jump queues.

ExaltedWombat Sat 03-Jun-17 13:46:01

Surgeons tend to see surgery as the answer. 'Guidelines' change. This case may not be as black-and-white as it seems.

Anniebach Sat 03-Jun-17 13:46:42

I cannot critcise his daughters for placing their trust and belief in their father , not as if miscarriages of justice are rare in this country so understandable if they see it as so.

Smileless2012 Sat 03-Jun-17 14:49:58

When it's possible for some to 'the bad' in someone that doesn't exist, likewise it's possible for some to see 'the good' that doesn't exist either.

I understood your post too EllaKeat you've come through a very traumatic period in your life, you know what such invasive procedures are like to endure and although for you it's been life saving, it doesn't make it any the less traumatic. It must be terrible to know that others too have been through so much for no good reasonflowers.