Gransnet forums

News & politics

Special treatment by the courts.

(31 Posts)
Luckylegs9 Fri 02-Jun-17 07:53:43

I was reading in our local paper about that awful surgeon that mutilated and maimed so many. It was stated that he had special treatment in the court, he was allowed 9 people to support him in court , instead if 1 like everyone else, got, treated with deference by court officials because of his manner, he was not handcuffered when sentenced . Why? Also all the palatial homes, here and abroad made from his deeds are not confiscated. He is likely to be out in 6/7 years to his millions, yet has left thousands with life changing injuries or life threatening. That isn't justice. How can his family stand by him?

hulahoop Sat 03-Jun-17 15:43:15

Same as you ellakeat but not as much surgery as you ,bad enough to accept when you have cancer but these poor people had nothing wrong with them my heart goes out to them .

Rosina Sat 03-Jun-17 15:51:55

We were talking about this; I have to say that whatever my loved ones did, and however bad, I would hate what they did but know that I would not be able to cut off my feelings for them. I think this all came about because we read that Ian Brady's mother had stood by him, although it would be hard to think of anything more evil than what he and Hindley did.

Anniebach Sat 03-Jun-17 16:11:33

I remember the mother of a mass murderer, he ate some of his victims organs, buried bodies in drains. His mother travelled hundred of miles once a month to visit him, when asked why and how she could do this after all he had done, she said - I am his mother.

Jane10 Sat 03-Jun-17 16:33:44

These poor mothers. It must very so incredibly hard for them unless maybe they think their family member is innocent despite all the evidence against that. Sad all round.

Rigby46 Sat 03-Jun-17 22:48:02

This case is very black and white - we are talking hundreds and hundreds of mostly women and it is vanishingly rare for a doctor to be charged let alone found guilty of wounding with intent in the course of his surgery. Re suing - the women treated in the private hospitals I'd guess will be doing this as his insurance company have withdrawn his indemnity insurance. That doesn't affect NHS patients as the Trust pays out. If the private patients sue they will be able to go after his assets but there must be a chance that they'll already have been transferred into his wife's or children's name - I think Stuart Hall did that. A dreadful dreadful case - anyone else remember Ledward and Neale?