Gransnet forums

News & politics

Bias on the BBC

(60 Posts)
GracesGranMK2 Fri 02-Jun-17 10:52:03

A song describing Prime Minister Theresa May as a "liar" and calling the country "broken" has become the most downloaded on iTunes.

However, siting bias, the BBC will not play Captain Ska's anti-Tory song Liar Liar. It is set to be the highest new entry on the UK Official Singles Chart this week, but impartiality rules are being sited to stop it being given air time.

I cannot believe it is anything but the normal partiality of the BBC towards the Conservative Party stopping the thoughts of the young being heard.

It's catchy too.

rosesarered Fri 02-Jun-17 13:47:35

Your choice of course VQ

vampirequeen Fri 02-Jun-17 13:52:45

I had and still have no problem with a united Ireland. Neither did I have a problem with Ulster remaining part of the UK. I objected to all forms of violence whether it was due to the IRA, the UDA or the UDF. Peacefully campaigning for an alternative is legitimate in a free society so I had no problem with Sein Fein wanting independence nor the Unionists wanting to maintain the status quo.

Just as I have no problem with the Welsh and Scottish Nationalists. I would object if it got violent but arguing for national autonomy is perfectly acceptable.

If you want to use inflammatory language you could just as easily say that the Catholics had been at the mercy of the Unionists for generations. It was far more complicated than simply us and them.

Anniebach Fri 02-Jun-17 13:54:55

So Adams and MacGuinness had no connections to the IRA?

There's a rewrite of history

Anniebach Fri 02-Jun-17 14:02:53

The Catholics suffered under the unionists, those who carried out the murders in Bloody Sunday should have been jailed and those who gave the orders.

Corbyn lies when he says his support for the IRA was part of the peace process, it's a very stupid person who can campaign for British citizens to be tossed out of the UK and claim it was for peace

vampirequeen Fri 02-Jun-17 14:19:35

So Adams and MacGuinness had no connections to the IRA?

I never said that but both men came to see that peace was the only way and worked to that end.

I abhor what Martin MacGuinness did as part of the IRA but admired him for having the courage to take part in the peace process. Just as I hated Maggie Thatcher but admired her for having the courage to sign the Anglo-Irish agreement. Things couldn't continue the way they were. Something had to be done and the only way was to talk to people regardless of their past.

Ilovecheese Fri 02-Jun-17 14:22:09

How has this thread, supposedly about BBC bias, turned into another recycling of often repeated criticisms of Jeremy Corbyn.

p.s I liked "Relax" by Frankie Goes to Hollywood.

Ana Fri 02-Jun-17 14:29:01

Was that banned by the BBC? I certainly heard it a lot on the radio at the time...

GracesGranMK2 Fri 02-Jun-17 14:34:59

I was trying to put forward the idea that the young are voters too. I know this is a novel thought to many Conservatives but, if they are expressing their views by downloading this song then I feel we have a right to know - even if we do not like it - what it is about.

Every bit of research that has been done has shown that our media are one of the most right-wing in Europe so a little balancing would go a long way.

vampirequeen Fri 02-Jun-17 14:39:41

Relax was banned in 1983.

Sorry GracesGranMK2 we've hijacked your thread.

You're right. It's a popular song and therefore should get airtime. If they wanted to the DJ could say, "The next record is not necessarily the opinion of the BBC and other Party leaders are available to be abused." grin

CleopatraSoup Fri 02-Jun-17 14:53:56

VQ
Another one for your playlist. I still love to hear Amyl Nitrate's version of Rule Britannia. I'm no spring chicken as I remember seeing the film in 1977.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFRg5pLD9EI

GG I think there is a bit of bias coming out of the Beeb. Nothing like the disgraceful lies, fake news and bias coming from the right wing tabloid scumbags.

CleopatraSoup Fri 02-Jun-17 14:59:38

And yes Liar Liar is catchy too.

Ana Fri 02-Jun-17 15:01:51

God Save the Queen by the Sex Pistols? Still haven't heard it - not that I particularly want to...

Anniebach Fri 02-Jun-17 15:37:39

Vampirequeen, the Brighton bombing was 1984, do you have no problem that just a few weeks later Corbyn invited IRA mrmbers to Westminster regardless that people there were grieving and shocked, even Tories are capable of experiencing grief you know . This is not the actions of a person of compassion and caring ,nwould you have done the same ?

GracesGranMK2 Fri 02-Jun-17 15:47:30

Surely we can have some ruling on AB taking over every single thread with only her anti-Corbyn rants. I agree that on a thread about Corbyn, or even a general thread about the election they might be relevant but, without wishing to be unkind to someone who appears to be in some distress, I feel sure this would be seen as trolling on many other forums as it seems to be to intentionally to close down any other political discussion.

angelab Fri 02-Jun-17 15:47:39

Fgs, Annie, we've been around this block before. I imagine anyone who was grieving after the Brighton bombing would be glad of anything that might stop it happening again.

Anniebach Fri 02-Jun-17 16:14:46

Angelab, you would have welcomed them to your place of work if you had a family member, friend , colleague blown up ?

I have no problem with him supporting the IRA, his decision, it's his pretence it was for peace . He attends a memorial tribute for dead IRA mrmbers and now claims he did it for all who died , how can anyone believe this lie.

I attended many prayers for peace for NI, Protestants, Catholics together, held in different places of worship, Anglican, RC, Baptist, Methodist churches and in a field so atheists could join but didn't want to go into a church.

Anniebach Fri 02-Jun-17 16:18:12

GG, you concern that I may be in distress and your reluctance to seem unkind is touching . Are you Ill?

vampirequeen Fri 02-Jun-17 16:22:35

Anniebach, GracesgranMK2 made it clear she wanted the thread to return to the point in her OP therefore this is not the place to debate anything else.

Anniebach Fri 02-Jun-17 16:27:43

And her point was?

Ana Fri 02-Jun-17 16:29:00

Can't see what's left to debate about the banning of an anti-May song by the Beeb. No doubt they'd have banned an anti-Corbyn one or similar.

What's to debate?

angelab Fri 02-Jun-17 16:29:51

Quite right, vq, and my apologies for getting involved in the diversion.

GracesGranMK2 Fri 02-Jun-17 16:36:43

It's not an objection to threads wandering exactly, vampirequeen, it is the take over for one repeated purpose which I am questioning as I have certainly seen such things taken off for trolling on other forums.

It is obvious that the Conservatives are rattled as Toby Young (never the most pleasant person to watch) was attempting to spread fake news on the Daily Politics today. Luckily Paul Mason was there to call it out but Jo Coburn - representing the "unbiased" BBC said ... nothing.

Anniebach Fri 02-Jun-17 16:41:27

I am in the wrong for speaking the truth about Corbyn on a thread where the very first line is all about the PM being a liar ?

angelab Fri 02-Jun-17 16:45:00

Yes, because that was the title of a song, not something being stated as fact.

whitewave Fri 02-Jun-17 16:48:03

Good song catchy rhythm. Will be hated by the Tories who are plainly rattled. Don't know why, they've got the entire media on their side, plus masses of cash flowing into their coffers from the rich.