Gransnet forums

News & politics

Bias on the BBC

(59 Posts)
GracesGranMK2 Fri 02-Jun-17 10:52:03

A song describing Prime Minister Theresa May as a "liar" and calling the country "broken" has become the most downloaded on iTunes.

However, siting bias, the BBC will not play Captain Ska's anti-Tory song Liar Liar. It is set to be the highest new entry on the UK Official Singles Chart this week, but impartiality rules are being sited to stop it being given air time.

I cannot believe it is anything but the normal partiality of the BBC towards the Conservative Party stopping the thoughts of the young being heard.

It's catchy too.

tanith Fri 02-Jun-17 11:16:19

Great song ?

nigglynellie Fri 02-Jun-17 11:27:07

Only heard it once and think it's horrible. I would think the same if it had been written about ANY of the political parties /leaders, however much I might disagree with them politically. For me its the lowest common denominator, and politics of the gutter.

Ilovecheese Fri 02-Jun-17 11:32:39

I havn't heard the song, but as regards impartiality, I think the BBC must be impartial because both left and right think it is biased towards the other side.

rosesarered Fri 02-Jun-17 11:35:22

grin so true Ilovecheese

varian Fri 02-Jun-17 11:38:37

That's the reply you always get from the BBC but it is untrue. There is a general bias to the right and in particular in favour of the BBC's all-time favourite politician, Nigel Farage.

rosesarered Fri 02-Jun-17 11:40:18

The song is infantile and only anyone who hates the Conservatives will think it's great.If it had been about Farron or Corbyn they would think it was silly.Which it is.....whichever party you vote for.It's strictly for teenagers or members of Momentum etc.( so why are women our age on this forum saying 'it's great'?
Well, because they hate the Conservatives.There's a lot of hate about these days!

rosesarered Fri 02-Jun-17 11:41:42

Blasted iPad. Strictly for teenagers etc and there's a lot of hate about these days.

Anniebach Fri 02-Jun-17 11:50:53

When Corbyn was elected leader he said he was going to bring a KINDER STYLE OF POLITICS

Since then we have women MP's threatened with rape

A drive to de select decent labour MP's

Women MP's threatened with murder

And deny as much as they wish - bullying by Corbynites on this forum

Suppose it is difficult for a man who supported the killers of British citizens to understand the definition of kindness

vampirequeen Fri 02-Jun-17 12:00:32

Which Corbynites have bullied anyone on this website? If you feel you or anyone else has been bullied then you need to report it to Gransnet.

"Suppose it is difficult for a man who supported the killers of British citizens to understand the definition of kindness" Please provide the evidence for this statement.

If you mean he has spoken to and had meetings with members of the IRA then you are tarring Maggie Thatcher, Douglas Hurd, Tony Blair and the Queen with the same brush.

vampirequeen Fri 02-Jun-17 12:04:30

I guess I'm infantile because I love the song. Tbh I didn't expect the BBC or any official radio station to play it. It's far too subversive for the establishment to risk getting into the mainstream.

It's OK to play songs about sex and violence but heaven forbid our children hear lyrics that have anything to do with politics.

Anniebach Fri 02-Jun-17 12:05:47

No, not talking to Sin Fein MP's, supporting the IRA, big difference

nigglynellie Fri 02-Jun-17 12:07:14

Oh, here we go!!! I think you know perfectly well what annie was talking about. Showing support and encouragement is very different from trying to broker a peace deal.

nigglynellie Fri 02-Jun-17 12:11:21

Nothing wrong with songs about politics, but to encourage offensive vile rhetoric to make a political point on a personal level is wrong and horrible whoever it's aimed at.

vampirequeen Fri 02-Jun-17 12:14:11

Do you read the DM by any chance Anniebach or do you simply choose to believe the things that support your view of Corbyn rather than the truth?

I know you don't like him. You've made that perfectly clear in previous posts however he is the elected leader of the Labour Party. If you believe in democracy then you either accept him as the leader or leave the Party. What you don't do, as many Labour MPs have, is undermine the Party from within. As to the rape and murder threats, these were proven under investigation to be false allegations. Decent MPs don't try to undermine democracy. The CLP doesn't exist to serve the sitting MP regardless of his/her treatment of said CLP or their views. If a CLP is unhappy with the actions of their MP they have the right to question and if necessary deselect that person. Again this is the democratic process in action. I suppose it all depends if someone believes in democracy or pays lip service to it when it suits them but attempts to undermine it when they don't.

Anniebach Fri 02-Jun-17 12:15:16

Campaigning for an IRA member serving a prison sentence for murder to be treated as a political prisoner ?

Did queenie, Thatcher, Blair do that

Attended an annual remembrance for Bobby Sands , don't think queenie was there

vampirequeen Fri 02-Jun-17 12:16:11

Could you provide evidence of Corbyn supporting the IRA?

If you cannot support your arguments with evidence then you are simply repeating unsupported fabrications.

Anniebach Fri 02-Jun-17 12:21:19

I do not read the DM, I do have relatives and friends in NI , I listen to them and Corbyn claimed when he attended the memorial tribute for dead IRA members he was remembering all who died. I am sure the relatives of the dead in the Birmingham pub murders, we're pleased their loved ones were remembered at a tribute to IRA members

vampirequeen Fri 02-Jun-17 12:28:23

So if I stand on Armistice Day and remember all those who died that makes me a supporter of the NAZIs.

vampirequeen Fri 02-Jun-17 12:43:05

So if I stand on Armistice Day and remember all those who died that makes me a supporter of the NAZIs.

vampirequeen Fri 02-Jun-17 12:43:52

Why does it repeat post sometimes lol?

vampirequeen Fri 02-Jun-17 12:46:51

It was a meeting about how to solve the Troubles, at Conway Hall btw and not a tribute night to the IRA.

Conway Hall is not just a place where meetings take place.
conwayhall.org.uk/

rosesarered Fri 02-Jun-17 13:00:10

VQ it's well known that Corbyn encouraged the IRA by his invitations and meetings with them, once right after the Brighton bombings, and have you not seen Diane Abbotts statement printed at the time about anything being a blow against the British State being a good thing.
Yes, the song is infantile, and unless you are a teenager or a member of Momentum( possibly both) then it simply means you hate the Conservatives enough to think it's 'great'.

Anniebach Fri 02-Jun-17 13:39:52

So campaigning for a United Ireland was part of the peace talks ? Don't think the unionists would agree with you, they wanted to stay in the UK did they not,

Campaigning to get troups out of NI was part of the peace talks ? thus leaving the unionIsts at the mercy of the IRA ? Don't think so

vampirequeen Fri 02-Jun-17 13:42:28

He invited members of Sein Fein not the IRA.

And no I'm not a teenager or a member of Momentum but I still like the song. Just as I still like the Sex Pistols version of God Save the Queen, Spasticus Autisticus by Ian Dury and the Blockheads, Lola by the Kinks, Johnny Remember Me by John Leyton, Glad to be Gay by Tom Robinson and a host of other banned songs recorded by people such as George Formby, Shirley Bassey and Lulu.