Gransnet forums

News & politics

Why the reluctance to answer questions and face the real electorate ?

(244 Posts)
James2451 Fri 02-Jun-17 12:14:20

This morning Teresa May had an opportunity to speak on Woman's Hour, just a few days after criticising Jeremy Corbyn's performance in the programme. Yet once again she has hopped out of any real discussions on her uncosted policies and previous statements.

We must have all seen her reluctance to have a face to face with the electorate as she crosses the Country, the majority are staged photo events with her own faithful. I have not as yet seen any interview with journalists where she has fully answered the questions put to her.
Is she really expecting the electorate to give her their vote to negotiate in Europe and most of all to run this Country when she is deliberately being so evasive in having face to face discussions the way Corby has done? Before the election I did not think I would ever vote for Corbyn but now May is changing my views.

Rather than have tribal type responses can we please have constructive analyse of the likely real reason for her reluctant attitudes.

rosesarered Fri 02-Jun-17 18:40:16

Self injecting is easy enough to do once you get used to it.It shouldn't be a problem for T May, or anyone.

Tegan2 Fri 02-Jun-17 18:43:43

She's the one that called this unnecessary election just prior to the brexit negotiations so I'm afraid she won't get a sympathy vote from me.

whitewave Fri 02-Jun-17 18:47:28

Blimey rose you can't dismiss type 1 diabetis as merely a few injections a day! It is a serious and nasty illness that needs careful managing. Of course she will feel under the weather at times, as I noticed a couple of days ago she looked quite dreadful.

whitewave Fri 02-Jun-17 18:49:00

I am not convinced that someone with such a serious illness and given her age is up the the sort of pressure and stress that comes with the job.

whitewave Fri 02-Jun-17 18:52:26

Her performance during the past 3 weeks or so has been grim and she clearly hasn't coped with the pressure. Given her illness and unfortunate character traits I think she is one of the worse to have chosen.

Mind you the other choices were dreadful.

Ana Fri 02-Jun-17 19:03:42

It's not a 'serious illness'! It's a condition.

People with type 1 diabetes cope with all sorts of stressful and challenging jobs all the time.

whitewave Fri 02-Jun-17 19:11:39

I am willing to give her the benefit of the doubt and understand that her poor performance is due her illness. However if you dispute this ana I am quite willing to accept that she had absolutely no excuse for her stilted u-turns and dreadful performance.

Ana Fri 02-Jun-17 19:41:48

Type 1 diabetes is not 'an illness'.

(I'm really not interested in your opinion about May's performance)

whitewave Fri 02-Jun-17 19:46:01

Oh ana grin

Ana Fri 02-Jun-17 19:57:06

confused Weird...

Jalima1108 Fri 02-Jun-17 20:26:19

It is not an illness, it is a lifelong condition. I was informed of this by my consultant (I do not have this but she used it as an analogy).

Just to clarify that Ana is correct in what she says.

whitewave Fri 02-Jun-17 20:30:33

I know jalima it's just that ana always behaves true to form and is so predictable that she makes me grin. I'm sorry ana you are perfectly entitled to constantly pick people up but pedantry always makes me grin.

daphnedill Fri 02-Jun-17 20:34:07

It doesn't really matter what it's called. Type 1 diabetes is classified as a disease and it can be serious, if blood sugar is unstable, because it can lead to further complications in the short and long term.

Until recently, Type 1 diabetics had significantly lower life expectancy and even those with the best care can have hypos.

Maybe I'm imagining it, but I think TM has been losing weight, which is not a good sign for a T1 diabetic.

Whatever the reason, her behaviour over the last couple of weeks has been strange and doesn't instill confidence.

whitewave Fri 02-Jun-17 20:37:21

dd I think she is not looking at all well to be honest. She definately has better days than others and yes she seems to be losing weight.

Ana Fri 02-Jun-17 20:37:46

So glad I make you grin, whitewave, what with all your dread and anxiety about Brexit and the GE - it must be a very difficult time for you (like the last GE) smile

whitewave Fri 02-Jun-17 20:38:32

Indeed

Jalima1108 Fri 02-Jun-17 20:41:50

I did notice that one of the ITV reporters seemed and sounded to be very ill last night - perhaps there are some nasty bugs going round but no-one is able to give in and have a couple of days in bed.

Baggs Fri 02-Jun-17 20:44:12

Did those who are coming down hardest on TM like her predecessor any better? He had all the social skill she lacks, but somehow.....

The point I'm trying to make, and which I don't expect many people to agree with, is that I don't think meeting people and "getting the message out" is anywhere near the most important part of a prime minister's job. Any good actor could do that part. It's the stuff that goes on in the background that counts more in the end I think.

David Cameron just buggered off when he failed to get what he'd assumed he would get easily. Fat lot of use his smarmy social skills were then. TM has taken on, with a good heart, and unexpectedly, one of the hardest ever political tasks to face the country. And she appears to believe in democracy. So far so good. Seriously, who else among the Tories would people prefer? It goes without saying that many would prefer not a Tory but that's not what I've asked.

I'm just waiting for the election to be over. Fascinating how the polls suggest that's all up in the air now. Time will tell.

Ana Fri 02-Jun-17 20:45:45

Hear, hear Baggs.

MaizieD Fri 02-Jun-17 20:46:54

My late M-i-L had diabetes;I'm not sure if it was type 1 or type 2. She checked her blood sugar levels daily and injected insulin at least twice a day. She was fine most of the time but if she was stressed in any way it played havoc with her blood sugar levels and she became hypoglycemic very quickly. I thought this might have been specific to her but I have just checked and it is a well known phenomenon.

The GE campaign is not going at all well for May. Her stress levels must be high. It can't be helping her to manage her condition.

norose4 Fri 02-Jun-17 20:48:49

Brilliantly put Baggs

Anniebach Fri 02-Jun-17 20:51:01

So David Blunkett should not have entered politics because he blind?

Gordon Brown should not have entered politics because he has lost the sight in one eye - who can forget the sun newspaper movking him for this.

I would think May's medical advisors are better qualified to judge her ability for the stresses of the job than some here.

Abbott must be suffering often with migraines

Jalima1108 Fri 02-Jun-17 20:53:25

I don't think she did the right thing calling an election and she has not been put in this position before now - electioneering is extremely stressful and I agree that someone who is good at electioneering may not be the best politician but more of a showman - sorry showperson.

Look at how many politicians leave politics and become showbiz personalities or are on the world stage giving lectures, which is essentially just another performance.

Jane10 Fri 02-Jun-17 20:53:38

Baggs well said!

whitewave Fri 02-Jun-17 20:54:13

Exactly maizie whether we agree May is a good or hopeless leader. There can be little doubt that her condition(hope that makes you happy ana) makes it very difficult and I get the impression that her diabetes is pretty severe. That is something that must be taken into account when you need to operate at top form