Gransnet forums

News & politics

London.....Incidents at London Bridge, Borough Market and Vauxhall.

(277 Posts)
merlotgran Sat 03-Jun-17 23:52:40

Watching BBC News now. A white van has ploughed into people on London Bridge, shootings and stabbings at Borough Market.

It's still ongoing.

ninathenana Sun 04-Jun-17 00:15:20

I've just read this on FB. It says at least one fatality. Just when people were relaxing a bit after Manchester. Very sad.
Thoughts are with the families

Scooter58 Sun 04-Jun-17 00:55:13

Seems to me we are being targeted as France were last year,thoughts are with all involved,emergency services do a wonderful job,sometimes it's easy to forget they are just ordinary people doing an extraordinary job.

Grandma2213 Sun 04-Jun-17 02:16:58

My family were at the Manchester Arena the night before the bombing and now my sister and niece are in Southwark, London. Thankfully they have texted that they are safe having gone to Elephant and Castle rather than Borough underground and just missed the incidents. The decision to turn left instead of right coming out of the theatre seems to have saved them! I wonder, were we always so close to potential disasters? My thoughts, of course, are with those who have not been as lucky as my family.

BlueBelle Sun 04-Jun-17 05:01:48

Big thoughts and love for the bereaved families and the injured
Unfortunately yes grandma we are always only a whisker away from potential danger, remember the IRA bombs that seemed to go on for years as Scooter says it appears to be our turn at the moment and without Europe to back us up after 'Brexit' we may find we are more in the mire than ever
I was in HK when there were troubles there in 67/68 and there were then what was known as 'parcel bombs' I remember literally being a hairs breadth away from one going up ......How terribly sad, poor people I believe 6 dead and 30 injured

One strange fact the terrorists had fake suicide vests on, very unusual for them to be fake

NfkDumpling Sun 04-Jun-17 06:07:44

Perhaps they'd hoped to get away and strike again Bluebelle. It's a terrible, stupid thing. I just cannot understand the mentality of these people.

I wonder if they're trying to influence the election believing that Jeremy Corbyn, who believes he can talk to ISIS, would be a soft touch if he gets in.

Leticia Sun 04-Jun-17 06:12:57

Woken up to the sad news. Very difficult to deal with extremists and random attacks.

Rigby46 Sun 04-Jun-17 06:52:11

Nfk I don't think for one minute that any of these terrorists think in that way at all - one of the problems is that they don't think like us or perceive the world as we do and actually whoever is in power is irrelevant to them as they are not at all interested in or relate to the democratic process. I just feel utter despair this morning - and imagine that all our politicians of all colours just feel desperate - they all want us to be safe and yet fighting this movement with all its tentacles must seem terrifyingly impossible.

GracesGranMK2 Sun 04-Jun-17 06:55:17

Terrible overnight news. So sorry to hear of the victims and thinking of close to them. The police seem to have been amazingly brilliant yet again.

Your comment is totally out of place at this time NfkD and I sincerely hope no side tries to make political capital out of this in such a crass way.

Norah Sun 04-Jun-17 07:37:48

Horribly distressing, so sad for the victims and their loved ones.

tanith Sun 04-Jun-17 07:52:41

My daughter was at London Bridge station with 4 children earlier in the afternoon I'm so sad this has happened but glad my family were safe home when this terrible act happened.

absent Sun 04-Jun-17 07:57:32

What has happened in London is awful beyond belief and my heart aches for all those who have suffered, including, of course, the families of those dead and injured. I feel exactly the same way for the unspeakable attacks in both Mosul and Kabul that have also happened today.

TwiceAsNice Sun 04-Jun-17 08:22:46

I was watching this last night. Just caught the news before I was thinking of going to bed and then watched for a while before I did. My daughter catches the train into London Bridge every day commuting into London for work. I worry about the risk for her all the time working in London but it's what she does. I have already lost one child and live in dread of losing another. I feel deeply for the families suffering terrible grief this morning and send them my prayers.

whitewave Sun 04-Jun-17 08:25:49

I think that the police were absolutely incredible.

Within 8 minutes -such a short space of time. The scum had been identified and killed in a very crowded area without injuring any innocent bystander.

Brilliant work.

MawBroon Sun 04-Jun-17 08:31:46

Without wishing to detract one iota from the excellent police reaction, "Without any more innocent bystanders being killed" Let's not forget the initial victims.
It is virtually impossible to predict or preempt this sort of madness, I just feel very, very sad.

whitewave Sun 04-Jun-17 08:34:42

Of course maw for heavens sake!!! But I will NOT give the scum any oxygen of publicity -they feed on it like some sort of bacteria.

RIP

Stansgran Sun 04-Jun-17 08:41:18

It may well be an outrageous suggestion quickly shouted down but if we find these murderers were on a watch list perhaps their names and addresses could have been on some sort of list available in every police station in the country. And perhaps some useful person like Julian Assange could leak the names and perhaps when these people pop off to Libya to refresh their murderous tendencies and polish up their killing skills we could have their passports cancelled . And then perhaps a woman wouldn't have to wake up in intensive care to hear her eight year old daughter had been blown to bits. Just saying.

Rinouchka Sun 04-Jun-17 08:41:22

I also applaud the police for their brilliant work last night. Another sad, senseless attack. I agree with Rigby in describing this body of terrorism as having tentacles which could emerge anytime anywhere. There is no logic in their actions, except that of destruction.

whitewave Sun 04-Jun-17 09:07:56

Does anyone else feel like me this morning? I feel absolutely furious. Bastards!!!!!!!!

I don't usually feel so mad, but I do know that in any incident in the past I instinctively fight, so I suppose that's the reason.

Christinefrance Sun 04-Jun-17 09:08:54

Such sad news yet again, amazing responses from all the emergency services. My heart goes out to all those families affected.
My grandson has gone into London today with his fiancee as a birthday treat, they decided to go ahead with their plans, think it is foolhardy but its their decision.

MawBroon Sun 04-Jun-17 09:19:28

inews.co.uk/essentials/news/uk/sadiq-khan-fewer-people-died-heroic-emergency-services/

Well said Sadiq Khan.

paddyann Sun 04-Jun-17 09:36:59

to paraphrase Boris Johnstons "a pound in croydon"speech maybe we need to remmber that a life in ANY of the middle eastern countries is just as valuable as one in ANY European country/city.A child who dies in Yemen by bombs used or supplied BY us is grieved for by his/her parents just the same as a child from Manchester was last week or last night.I'm NOT excusing this BUT we have to look at the bigger picture and see whare we are to blame and how we can change what we are responsible for .My condolences to the families of those killed and best wishes for a speedy recovery to the injured .

Luckygirl Sun 04-Jun-17 09:48:32

Bluebelle - there is no concern that Brexit will cause a lack of cooperation on these issues with Europe - it is as much in their interests as ours for the co-operation to continue; and on a purely human level, I believe that Europeans are interested in extending their sympathy and concern rather than thinking about Brexit.

I am very saddened by this latest attack.

whitewave Sun 04-Jun-17 10:08:52

It is time that the government began to put pressure on the Saudis and the wahabi funding of Isis and British mosques.

How can the sale of arms to kill yet more innocents be more important than British lives?

Lillie Sun 04-Jun-17 10:43:18

Christinef - birthday treats, family outings, shopping, - it's what we will continue to do today in London in the face of these horrible attacks, so take comfort. I'm currently sitting on Paddington station waiting for a train - very busy as usual, no obvious police presence.
Condolences to those who were so unfortunate last night.