Gransnet forums

News & politics

Looking ahead - Friday morning probably ....

(106 Posts)
Rigby46 Wed 07-Jun-17 16:35:23

I shall wake up with that all too familiar lump of lead feeling in my stomach that followed Brexit and Trump. I will not have slept well but will not be hungover as champagne doesn't do that to me. I'll be at my DD's so the dgc will enliven breakfast. Then it will be a slow coming to terms with reality over the weekend as all sides spin away furiously - some with less to spin than others. I will be sad but not surprised. I will be sad about the future of education and the NHS in particular and sad for people without the cushions and choices that others have. I will be pessimistic about the Brexit negotiations and the fact that there is no hope of our becoming a kinder, more caring society. I will only watch C4 news and avoid BBC radio 4. I may just listen to R3 all weekend. I will probably avoid GN but join the bunfight on MN as it is less draining. <sighs>

Anniebach Thu 08-Jun-17 09:56:51

Fox hunting hasn't stopped and the RSPCA will not do a thing if one reports a hunt , neither will the police.

whitewave Thu 08-Jun-17 09:58:38

Sorry annie I know you support the Tories, but they are intent on making it legal again. Have you missed that point?

Ana Thu 08-Jun-17 10:08:04

The point is that in some areas it hasn't really stopped, as Annie says, so making it legal again woudn't make much difference.

Jalima1108 Thu 08-Jun-17 10:10:26

I thought anniebach had made it perfectly plain that she supports Carwyn Jones for Welsh Labour and has been campaigning on behalf of Welsh Labour.
There are many Labour supporters, still party members, politicians, voters who do not think that Corbyn, McDonnell et al are, to use a cliché, the best thing since sliced bread and will be voting Labour through gritted teeth and with great reservations. I know some of them.
Unfortunately, most of them are not as brave as anniebach and have given up expressing their opinions out loud knowing the flack that they would receive.

Jalima1108 Thu 08-Jun-17 10:12:09

and anniebach has not said that she supports foxhunting, only that it still goes on apparently.

Anniebach Thu 08-Jun-17 10:23:44

How low will you sink Whitewave? I was right when I said there are Labour Party supporters and Corbynites, two seperate political groups.

I campaigned against fox hunting for more years than I care to count. I have filmed clubbing, been hit with s bull whip several times, had my hand slammed in a field gate , had a bloody big hunter charged at me.

Try getting off your computer , get off your backside, get into the countryside and use you mouth , legs and hands to report these hunts, the ones you brlieve have stopped.

I realy thought you were above such lies, not a good judge of character am I?

Corbynites are very unpleasant bullies, very much in the mode of McDonald ,

MawBroon Thu 08-Jun-17 10:26:25

No particular advocate of hunting with hounds, but certainly an advocate of killing foxes to keep numbers under control. If you have ever seen the sickening devastation after foxes have got chickens you might think of them less as sweet fluffy pseudo pussy cats and more as the ruthless killers they are too. This is no longer a rural matter either, as a friend in Wandsworth had her bantams slaughtered while the family sat out on the patio having breakfast!

Anniebach Thu 08-Jun-17 10:28:37

I meant cubbing not clubbing,

Cubbing is killing the vixen to dig out her babies

Clubbing is what happened to otters and which I also fought against , a sickening sight.

daphnedill Thu 08-Jun-17 10:30:24

There are more humane (and cheaper) methods of killing, which don't involve adults sitting on horses, wearing silly clothes, and trained dogs.

daphnedill Thu 08-Jun-17 10:31:15

Who's McDonald?

whitewave Thu 08-Jun-17 10:35:33

annie you talk as if none of us are aware of the issues of fox hunting or the fact that it still goes on. Or that we don't campaign against badger culling or the illegal killing of otters, or that none of us have campaigned against such cruelty or we campaign against the degradation of their habitat, or that we all support the Tory party.

Wake up!! Of course we are aware and fight against.

But we don't support the Tories

Anniebach Thu 08-Jun-17 10:36:04

Sorry but the Bantams should have been fenced off. A fox does what animals do, cats hunt birds and mice to they not? No animal deserves to be chased for miles by a vicious pack of hounds - who are also badly treated - and idiots on horse back, if the fox does collapse with a burst heart or adrenalin exhaustion they are cornered and humans cheering as the hounds rip the fox to bits, any children on their first hunt are smeared with the foxes blood.

Let's kill all animals which hunt any other animal yes?

MawBroon Thu 08-Jun-17 10:42:53

They WERE! Not exactly likely to be running free in the garden, but as it was broad daylight and there were people about they were not shut up in the henhouse. Free range. grin
So don't blame the victim, blame the aggressor.

Anniebach Thu 08-Jun-17 10:43:15

Wonder if the labour MP Kate Howey will vote Tory in the hope of making fox hunting legal

MawBroon Thu 08-Jun-17 10:46:26

No animal deserves to be chased for miles by a vicious pack of hounds - who are also badly treated - and idiots on horse back
Nobody says they do

Anniebach stop tilting at windmills AKA arguing in an empty room.

Anniebach Thu 08-Jun-17 10:47:36

Free range can be protected, they don't need to waddle miles , seems some are reluctant to spend money on fencing , cheaper to kill the fox.

whitewave Thu 08-Jun-17 10:49:37

mawbroom do you think that the fox thinks -oh let's be as cruel as I can possibly be and hurt as many bantams as I can?

Of course not! Neither do cats or lions or dogs or eagles or sharks or dolphins or humans - oh no - humans definately like killing.

But all other predatory species have this inate ability to kill and want to kill. They wouldn't survive otherwise.

You cannot put that value system which we like to think we espouse onto these species.

MawBroon Thu 08-Jun-17 10:50:54

Oh for goodness sake Annie get a grip and stop pontificating about my poor friend's ex-bantams.
Contrary to what you may believe the South Wandsworth Common Hunt was not galloping down Earlsfield Road in full cry.
BTW it could just as easily have been their cat or the children's rabbits hmm

Anniebach Thu 08-Jun-17 10:52:14

Let's kill birds of prey too

whitewave Thu 08-Jun-17 10:53:22

Quote from NYE Bevin

The NHS will last as long as there are folks willing to fight for it.

MawBroon Thu 08-Jun-17 10:56:56

news.sky.com/story/fox-bites-off-babys-finger-in-cot-attack-10455069

Just saying
Plenty more where that came from.

Anniebach Thu 08-Jun-17 11:03:53

How many children have been killed by dogs? Shall we kill all dogs?

whitewave Thu 08-Jun-17 11:06:01

Really high turnout in all the polling stations according to DH

Anniebach Thu 08-Jun-17 11:09:27

In Llanfigan and Llanfrynach?

MawBroon Thu 08-Jun-17 11:09:31

Somebody somewhere is losing the plot point.
Anniebach I appreciate that your emotions might be heightened today but to extrapolate from my harmless anecdote about some ex-bantams to this is , for want of a better word, silly.
Dogs which attack children ARE killed.
Could we please end this farcical pseudo discussion right here.
I am NOT a supporter of hunting.
I DO recognise the need to control foxes in the countryside
and I DO regard urban foxes as scavengers and, for the most part vermin.