Gransnet forums

News & politics

Looking ahead - Friday morning probably ....

(106 Posts)
Rigby46 Wed 07-Jun-17 16:35:23

I shall wake up with that all too familiar lump of lead feeling in my stomach that followed Brexit and Trump. I will not have slept well but will not be hungover as champagne doesn't do that to me. I'll be at my DD's so the dgc will enliven breakfast. Then it will be a slow coming to terms with reality over the weekend as all sides spin away furiously - some with less to spin than others. I will be sad but not surprised. I will be sad about the future of education and the NHS in particular and sad for people without the cushions and choices that others have. I will be pessimistic about the Brexit negotiations and the fact that there is no hope of our becoming a kinder, more caring society. I will only watch C4 news and avoid BBC radio 4. I may just listen to R3 all weekend. I will probably avoid GN but join the bunfight on MN as it is less draining. <sighs>

Riverwalk Thu 08-Jun-17 11:11:23

Last year a high turnout resulted in Brexit!

It's going to be a long day waiting for the Exit poll at 22.00.

Is it too early for lunch, or a gin tonic? hmm

MawBroon Thu 08-Jun-17 11:12:41

For "Christmas" substitute "Election" grin

Anniebach Thu 08-Jun-17 11:15:28

And I do not MawBroom, I assure you my emotions are not heightened today, I am not a Corbyn devotee

MawBroon Thu 08-Jun-17 11:23:32

I'd never have guessed hmm

petra Thu 08-Jun-17 11:25:34

Riverwalk
Your ok for the G&T. It's over the yard somewhere in the world. smile

Riverwalk Thu 08-Jun-17 11:30:52

Maw grin

It's a teensy bit early though petra - I'll be all over the yard and sleep through the excitement!

Penstemmon Thu 08-Jun-17 11:46:54

Whatever the outcome on Friday I will continue to promote and act on my political values and make comment on what I believe is the better option. As with the Brexit debate..because one 'side' won the vote does not immediately change my mind. I still have the democratic right to voice my views as vocally as ever!

whitewave Thu 08-Jun-17 12:12:41

pens as far as I am concerned, and what I fear will happen I think it is more important than ever absolutely essential to continue with voicing your democratic right!!

whitewave Thu 08-Jun-17 12:15:06

Just watching Bernie Saunders - he may just as well be talking about the UK, we are simply a few years behind them.

Anya Thu 08-Jun-17 12:37:06

I hope, in one way, that the Tories do win this election. Though I dread what will happen to my GCs' schools, the NHS (as I'm of an age to starting calling on it more) and Social Care (goodbye house) ......at least I'll be able to say ' I told you so !'".

That's always very satisfying, isn't it?

GracesGranMK2 Thu 08-Jun-17 13:27:29

Final election poll gives Jeremy Corbyn the lead over Theresa May for the first time

Not likely but the outcome just could be different to what we expect.

Jalima1108 Thu 08-Jun-17 13:31:59

Hung Parliament? As predicted by Yours Truly wink
Is there a prize on GN for whoever predicts correctly?

Anya Thu 08-Jun-17 14:18:54

We could have a Booby Prize or forfeit for those who got it completely wrong instead.....that would be more fun wink

NfkDumpling Thu 08-Jun-17 14:49:23

Anya - funny but I'm completely the opposite! I hope in a way that Labour wins, so I can say I told you so when Mr Corbyn gives away too much, businesses move abroad to avoid his high taxation and he borrows the earth to pay for all his promises. (Although we could always sell Trident.)

NfkDumpling Thu 08-Jun-17 14:50:21

But my money's on a hung parliament.

Ana Thu 08-Jun-17 15:09:08

I was thinking along exactly the same lines myself, NfkDumpling grin

Ana Thu 08-Jun-17 15:10:04

(re your first post!)

whitewave Thu 08-Jun-17 15:11:14

May a majority of 80

devongirl Thu 08-Jun-17 15:25:17

May, majority 30 (sad)

Azie09 Thu 08-Jun-17 15:41:13

I really hope that there will be a hung parliament and that the Greens win in Bristol so there will be another honest, sane and articulate MP to join Caroline Lucas. I have been won over by Jeremy Corbyn's integrity but with the state the Labour Party is in, I'd doubt the ability of the party to rule successfully if they won.

I don't consider I live in a democracy when a party voted in with 36% of the vote (i.e. in 2015) rules the country so harshly and drastically degrades the living standards of so many.

We desperately need proportional representation, especially with the coming rejigging of constituencies which will favour the Tories over others.

I'm with you re Friday morning Rigby!

grannylyn65 Thu 08-Jun-17 15:45:14

You can my rock buns that'll sort em ?

Jalima1108 Thu 08-Jun-17 19:50:19

mawbroom do you think that the fox thinks -oh let's be as cruel as I can possibly be and hurt as many bantams as I can?
unfortunately, although a fox may not think that (who could possibly know?) they will bite the heads off many chickens for no apparent reason and just take one for food.

Jalima1108 Thu 08-Jun-17 19:52:19

I won a booby prize once at the first Beetle Drive I went to - it was a box of children's hankies and as I was a child at the time it was much appreciated.

GN has not been forthcoming with offers of prizes though, no nice holiday overseas to get away from it all.

Rigby46 Fri 09-Jun-17 06:30:35

Well goodness me. I didn't see that coming ( unlike Jalima) I have had about an hour's sleep.

whitewave Fri 09-Jun-17 06:44:23

Awake!!! 3 hours sleep.

Whod have thunk!!