Gransnet forums

News & politics

Before you vote.......

(51 Posts)
phoenix Wed 07-Jun-17 19:29:11

Take a closer look at any election stuff that may have come through your letterbox.

Check the very small print, usually on the back of the leaflets, saying where they were printed.

Of course all candidates will say how passionate they are about supporting the local economy, ensuring that businesses thrive, thus creating employment etc.

So, of the 3 campaign leaflets I have received, only 1 was actually printed within the constituency area!

M0nica Wed 07-Jun-17 19:35:50

I am afraid that all eleltion literature went into the recycling box unread. For some reason I just do not want to know anything about this election. But yes, I will vote.

MaizieD Wed 07-Jun-17 19:37:09

London and Northampton. Liberals and Labour. Tories haven't bothered to leaflet our tiny hamlet (13 houses just off a main road)

Tories are either super confident or not bothering in a previously very safe Labour seat.

Mind you, I'm getting disgusting tory ads on my Facebook timeline. I'm afraid they're targeting the wrong old person here.

phoenix Wed 07-Jun-17 19:46:42

When I raised this with friends they thought I was nit picking, but surely if there are several print companies within the constituency where you are standing, and one of your policy statements is support of local business.................confused

Anya Wed 07-Jun-17 19:56:04

But not all candidates live in the constituency they want to represent, do they?

phoenix Wed 07-Jun-17 19:57:41

The ones in my local one all do, Anya.

M0nica Wed 07-Jun-17 20:08:51

With election expenses limited and tightly controlled (one MP on a charge of over spending in 2015) it is not surprising that they will look for the cheapest printer they can find, regardless of location.

It is also possible that party headquarters have negotiated deals with printers to print all election addresses and get bulk discounts

Persistentdonor Thu 08-Jun-17 09:57:40

My thinking too Phoenix, and while I am all for keeping costs down Monica, I have to agree that if a candidate claims they want to make life better in a particular constituency, then the very first thing they should be doing is using the election campaign to support local business!!

Ella123 Thu 08-Jun-17 09:58:32

To late for me already voted

whitewave Thu 08-Jun-17 10:00:48

I would if I could but haven't had a single piece of literature from the Tories. They are obviously too hard up to produce anything for our area.

What a joke!

kittylester Thu 08-Jun-17 10:03:42

We've had little literature and no visits. Our Mp lives in the area and often stands outside supermarkets chatting to people

Smithy Thu 08-Jun-17 10:04:20

Same as Monica but have already done a postal vote. And all fingers crossed that Chairman May does not get a landslide!

HootyMcOwlface Thu 08-Jun-17 10:12:27

You are lucky whitewave I got 3 identical leaflets together! They came in handy, I needed some paper to line the cat litter tray.

jefm Thu 08-Jun-17 10:12:52

So Smithy you want COMRADE Corbyn as PM instead?????????

AdeleJay Thu 08-Jun-17 10:17:27

Have just voted, sigh. What a dreadful choice to have to make. Walked in the booth without a clue. confused
All printed out of area so point taken. Just looked but hadn't looked beforehand.

Belleringer Thu 08-Jun-17 10:29:18

No leaflets and no visits from any party here!

sweetcakes Thu 08-Jun-17 10:30:13

Will be glad when it's over, they all lie make promises they will not keep and as for the vile things said on social media about their personal appearance and 90% is about female candidates! and from people I've known for years I'm shocked. Like I said glad when it's over and we then have to live with the consequences.

widgeon3 Thu 08-Jun-17 10:42:02

I once voted labour.... not chosen in respect of any particular inducements, but because he was the only candidate in nearly 50 years to call at our village address.
I was so amazed that I said I would vote for him

Disgruntled Thu 08-Jun-17 10:53:37

Good point, Phoenix - fraid all mine have gone in the blue bin though. I'm still dithering about whether to vote with my heart or vote tactically and I feel really anxious and on edge.

edsnana Thu 08-Jun-17 10:54:26

As a WASPI woman I will be voting for the party who have pledged to help those of us who won't get our pensions until we are 66. Strangely the lovely Teresa and her female side kick who I have the misfortune to have as my current MP are not remotely interested in helping. . . So much for sisterhood

GrannyA11i Thu 08-Jun-17 10:59:50

Another WASPI woman here edsnana - with this and their promises on education, health service, maternity and paternity leave I will be voting Labour.

sluttygran Thu 08-Jun-17 11:10:56

I have voted Labour - I suppose that having worked all my younger days in the NHS was a big factor in this.
In my longish life I have lived under good and bad governments of both major persuasions, and I think what has impressed me most is that extremism is not the best way forward.
Jeremy Corbyn is often referred to as an extremist, but he is not. In most European countries his stance and politics would be considered very middle-of-the-road democratic. I gather that in his youth, like many of us, he may have dabbled in the communist waters, but today he is firmly moderate left of centre.
It has to be said, however, that this particular Tory administration is so very right wing, so extreme in their disregard for the citizens in their care, that even if Corbyn was an extreme left winger he might go some way towards balancing the status quo!
I have also been very dismayed by the open fascism and racism of the tabloid press. Their attitude fuels hate and discord which we cannot afford in these terrifying times. They have a financial rather than a political agenda, but they are very influential and extremely dangerous to our peace and safety.
I can honestly say that I have been a 'floating voter' in the past, but this time the choice was very clear.
Oh, I do enjoy a good rant - it improves my blood pressure no end!
I shall now duck behind the parapet to avoid the chucking of handy missiles. You can chuck cake if you wish. grin

edsnana Thu 08-Jun-17 11:28:58

Yay GrannyA11i good to meet you

edsnana Thu 08-Jun-17 11:29:57

sluttygran couldn't agree more, well said

GrannyA11i Thu 08-Jun-17 11:32:02

Waving back edsnan !

Sluttygran- well said! No cake throwing here!