Gransnet forums

News & politics

Could we not separate news and politics?

(60 Posts)
gillybob Wed 14-Jun-17 17:44:55

Title says it all really.

There is much more to news than politics. Could we not have separate threads? That way we could discuss what's in the news (like the tragic London fire) in a non-political way.

durhamjen Wed 14-Jun-17 17:50:47

Was it not political for the London Mayor at the time, Boris Johnson, to close three fire stations, and cut the number of fire staff in London?
I think you have chosen a wrong example.

gillybob Wed 14-Jun-17 17:59:27

Yes perhaps I have chosen a poor example DJ (although we should have been able to express our horror/sympathy etc. without it all becoming political) but you get my point?

grumppa Wed 14-Jun-17 18:03:00

So far nobody directly concerned with the tragedy has said that fire brigade cuts had any effect on the response to the Grenfell Tower fire. That has not stopped Gransnetters from bringing politics in, and I do not see how, or why, they can be stopped.

TriciaF Wed 14-Jun-17 18:14:44

grumppa that was the first thing my husband said.

Ana Wed 14-Jun-17 18:16:20

It was only a matter of time. It'll all be the tories' fault soon...hmm

mostlyharmless Wed 14-Jun-17 18:19:21

Austerity policies and council cuts to housing budgets may have played a big part in this tragedy. We don't know yet. But it is difficult to separate politics from the rest of life.

Elegran Wed 14-Jun-17 18:20:48

The fire went up the cladding so fast that the 250 firefighters on the scene were unable to control it, despite heroic efforts The first were on the scene in minutes. It has been said, by those in a position to know, that there were decficiencies in the fire defencers within the tower. I think it premature at this point to blame cuts in the fire service and party politics for this particular disaster.

gillybob Wed 14-Jun-17 18:23:34

If it weren't so sad it would be almost comical that every single piece of news or any tragic event becomes political.

whitewave Wed 14-Jun-17 18:26:43

I take your point gilly but look on social media and see what those survivors are saying. Would you deny them the right to blame politics, and the right for us to repeat what they are saying?

FarNorth Wed 14-Jun-17 18:28:25

It could be a good idea to have separate forums. Then someone getting political on a News topic could be told to push off and start a topic on Politics.

suzied Wed 14-Jun-17 18:28:34

Of course this is political, the recommendations of the committee which looked at fire regulations in tower blocks has been on the table of 3 housing ministers including Gavin Barwell, who is now May's chief adviser after loosing his seat in the election. None of them has acted on it or even commented or considered it.

FarNorth Wed 14-Jun-17 18:30:54

Politics does affect so much of life, though, it's true.

Luckygirl Wed 14-Jun-17 18:41:14

Politics is about people - I guess most reported news is about people at some level.

I guess it is party politics that is bugging you though.

MaizieD Wed 14-Jun-17 19:16:27

Didn't we have just this 'debate' after the Manchester bombing?

I still think that if you don't want a topic to become political it should go an somewhere like 'Chat'

Anniebach Wed 14-Jun-17 20:02:49

I think it is better to do as the fire brigades and police are doing, not leaping in with accusations and wait . Let us hope if there is guilt they will be justice , sadly that will not bring the dead back.

I do think bringing politics into this on the first day is so wrong, the news has to keep rolling so they will make dozens of interviews and some viewers will leap on every interview if they sniff a political point. I will not . People have died, people are missing, victims are in hospital, so much grief , let's not use it to score political points, time enough for that.

HildaW Wed 14-Jun-17 20:04:57

I think many of us see all the power games and machinations....who is going to resign and who pushed who etc that dominates the press as some sort of expensive soap opera that is being broadcast on a loop by the tv and press.

Where 'politics' becomes more relevant is when the decisions these people make affects our daily lives. I think we can do with less of the 'soap opera' ....such as Diane Abbott moaning about people being nasty (if you cant take the heat etc etc) and more of the policies and strategies that will affect our NHS, finances, jobs etc.

rosesarered Wed 14-Jun-17 20:11:15

anniebach that's a very good post, and I agree totally.People are too fond of jumping to conclusions and spraying blame around.

Jalima1108 Wed 14-Jun-17 20:21:49

We did have this discussion on the Manchester thread MaizieD and I think some of us thought it would be a good idea to have separate news and politics threads; djen said there had been two separate threads at one time.

Such tragedies may involve politics but it would be good to have separate thread headings so the horrific news (or any news) can be discussed and the political implications could be aired on another thread.

'Chat' does not seem like an appropriate thread heading for tragedies such as these.

Breaking News?

whitewave Wed 14-Jun-17 20:23:33

Grenville Action Group - we have been warning about the perceived risk and asking for it to be given immediate and serious consideration. We have been ignored.

Other survivors are begging that when the flats are rebuilt that they are not built for the wealthy, as many of them believe that, that is exactly what will happen.

HildaW Wed 14-Jun-17 20:32:40

How about....'In the News' and then another one 'Politicians & Politics'

Iam64 Wed 14-Jun-17 20:41:34

I honestly don't see how significant events like the terrorist attacks in London and Manchester, or today's dreadful fire, can be discussed without reference to the actions of central, local government, our health and emergency services.
I've seen nothing but praise for the emergency or health services. The cuts to their numbers, reduction in job security pay, pensions etc can't be ignored in the discussions.
This fire will inevitably lead to investigation and recommendations. There has to be political will to ensure recommendations are followed. I don't see how it's possible to discuss this without acknowledging The fact this tower block had only one staircase, no sprinklers or fire alarms .
Maybe as has been said, chat is the place to discuss this tragedy without reference to polittics

GracesGranMK2 Wed 14-Jun-17 20:52:20

I think that you are on a hiding to nothing if you try to separate news and politics. It sounds like you are trying to tell people how to think about news.

Most news has a political aspect and those who are interested in it will discuss it. If I told you I had breakfast this morning it is a smidgeon of news which may not seem political but if I was the only person in my family who had breakfast because we can only afford one person a day to do so, it becomes news.

I might suggest the swallows are late/early this year. Interesting perhaps but more interesting if the change of habit appears to be a result of climate change.

We have newspapers and news programmes that set out to promulgate the political side of news so how do you stop that influence.

I think some people just want to close down the political interaction - which is almost certainly a political comment in itself.

GracesGranMK2 Wed 14-Jun-17 20:54:30

because we can only afford one person a day to do so, it becomes news. political.

mostlyharmless Wed 14-Jun-17 21:03:13

A news thread could discuss the tragic events and the search for missing etc. It might end up wallowing in the awful details. But surely it would be remiss if the discussion then didn't go on to try and find ways to prevent it happening again. Which is politics. Not necessarily party political politics - but it is politics.