Gransnet forums

News & politics

Thank you for the Politics thread.

(60 Posts)
Rigby46 Sun 18-Jun-17 19:12:54

Well MOnica the whole point at the moment is that there is no plan - they are deeply divided on a matter of supreme national importance. Once we know their proposals re citizenship, customs union, single market we can discuss them can't we - at the moment the only thing to discuss is the dusgraceful fact that there is nothing to discuss.

Lillie Sun 18-Jun-17 19:09:27

I guess I mean if it's always the same person who takes the bother to supply prolific links, then these might be considered coloured by that person's views.
I am not in a position to research to the same extent say as someone who is retired and who probably has more time, so I value their input, but sometimes I feel a bit bombarded from one direction only probably because I read three or four pages at one go. I'd love to search for balanced arguments and articles, but as time doesn't allow, I perhaps lean towards facts rather than debate.

M0nica Sun 18-Jun-17 18:59:57

I find most of the politics threads on GN now are all smoke and no fire. The same group of left wing supporters bickering over the trivia of political relationships and not discussing the topic in the OP at all.

There is a thread labelled 'Brexit negotions start tomorrow'. I went into it hoping for discussions about the various issues to be discussed, the negotiation positions the different parties might take and what we as individuals would like to see, especially as some of us approach these talks as remainers (not remoaners)

But when I opened it I discovered is just another anti-Tory tirade (it would have made no difference if it had been anti-Labour) and that the last thing it is likely to be is a sensible and reasoned discussion about the negotiations for Brexit

GN used not be like this. I can remember lots of really interesting political issues being discussed without descending to these your party/faction (whichever) is nasty and horrible and mine is faultless type debates, but, alas, no more.

Luckygirl Sun 18-Jun-17 18:59:52

I find the thread very interesting - I do not read all the links! But those that I do have relevance and are informative. In the main it is clear where the poster is coming from, so, if I do not agree with the content, I am free to seek alternative links putting a different view.

Rigby46 Sun 18-Jun-17 18:57:07

Re 'one sided links' do you mean that the the links only give one side ? Serious question - it's just that I don't believe there are many, if any, 'balanced' articles to link to. The best thing to do is read broadly isn't it?

Lillie Sun 18-Jun-17 18:53:26

I agree, we comment because we care, even if we come with differing views as Iam64 points out.
The links are welcome and interesting, even if they sometimes become a bit one sided. I usually join in if I have first hand knowledge, like the present London thread as I live and work in the city.

Rigby46 Sun 18-Jun-17 18:31:29

Thank you for these positive comments - the politics threads discuss matters of real importance ( the current London Fire thread is the latest example). Most people who post there are incredibly well informed and care deeply about the issues under discussion. Occasionally therefore the exchanges get heated. This is to be expected and is not a reason for criticism. I admire in particular those who post interesting links to a whole range of sources. The sources are always clearly attributed and you can choose if you want to click on or not.

Iam64 Sun 18-Jun-17 18:19:01

I read and occasionally comment on the politics/news threads. Yes, I find them informative. The views expressed are varied apwhich us good

MargaretX Sun 18-Jun-17 17:20:33

You are so right! Nandalot I no longer live in the UK and have been so well informed by GN. The exchanges on the politics threads are so much better than the News we are all being bombarded with on the internet.

Nandalot Sun 18-Jun-17 16:03:23

There has been some feeling recently about the political threads but I'd like to commend all those who comment. I feel that I have been much better informed since joining Gransnet. There are some very well-informed contributors on a variety of subjects The links provided, by all shades of the political spectrum, are usually well worth reading. I hope this post is not too controversial!