Gransnet forums

News & politics

Revenge terrorist attack

(117 Posts)
Lillie Mon 19-Jun-17 05:31:42

Looks like a deliberate revenge attack on Muslims in Finsbury Park, North London.

MaizieD Mon 19-Jun-17 11:35:00

What happened to British tolerance and acceptance of others?

In view of the incident being discussed here I find that question a tad ironic..

Though, in all honesty, I think it is a very noble value to lay claim to but I don't think that it is by any means universally practised.

Sylviann60 Mon 19-Jun-17 11:36:10

More police really isn't an issue if someone is going to commit an atrocity they do it and obviously avoid security forces .

Napoleon Mon 19-Jun-17 11:37:17

I don't care, have seen it all. Glad my mum isn't here to see how our England is no longer English.

MaizieD Mon 19-Jun-17 11:39:27

Am wondering if government bashing is now going to be included in every GN thread ( including cooking!)

Funny you should say that, roses. I think cooking just got political

www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi5paK328nUAhWFDcAKHT6rDAgQFggiMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theguardian.com%2Flifeandstyle%2F2017%2Fjun%2F15%2Fpeople-in-poverty-dont-just-need-feeding-they-should-have-the-dignity-of-a-good-meal&usg=AFQjCNHwIwTCEWser8PaDfXLfKOfOm2urw

Please don't let this derail the thread, though

DotMH1901 Mon 19-Jun-17 11:40:10

It's not a question of tolerance - those terrorists who attack in the name of the Muslim faith are a tiny percentage of the entire Mulism religion. When they drove a van into people on the bridge in London they had no way of knowing if some of the people they killed were also Mulisms. Revenge attacks are not the way to go - how do any of us know if someone is a terrorist? They don't go around with a label stuck on their forehead (would be helpful if they did). What we do need to do is find out why so many young men who were born here in the UK are being manipulated into becoming terrorists - they are usually from families who have settled in the community and who are equally horrified that their child has chosen that path.

Womble54 Mon 19-Jun-17 11:41:02

HildajenniJ, I’d say only that tolerance and acceptance of others – and of their culture - has to be a two-way street. The government that is supposed to represent us needs to wake up and listen.

radicalnan Mon 19-Jun-17 11:43:19

Heat, nutters and tragic events the prefect combinaion for this sort of thing. No amount of police could prevent it we can't have every person with a marker as if it were a football game.

I hope the chap who died, who had been taken ill apparently inside the centre, did have heart attack and was not a victim, directly of this crime.

There was an incident earlier in the week of another driver who had deliberately ran people own using a van, not terrorist motive, although if you are among those people it must be terrifying whatever the motive.

I have no idea what is wrong with people now but I don't think media coverage has helped very much especially since the fire.

MaizieD Mon 19-Jun-17 11:44:27

Napoleon @ 11.37

QED, I think...

(That's a bit of an unEnglish name, isn't it?)

TriciaF Mon 19-Jun-17 11:46:36

Maizie is right - there are plenty of other nutty "British" extremists waiting in the wings.
Our english neighbour here, now returned to the UK, was one of them. He once told us he would like to shoot them all. Wouldn't even shake a coloured person by the hand. Wouldn't go to the Arab markets here.
We were shocked of course, I said he was mad to his face.

W11girl Mon 19-Jun-17 11:55:59

Keep calm and Carry on has been overly used in recent years and its status lowered, it being printed on everything we touch...but never has it meant so much since WW2 as now, with all that has gone on recently!

grannygranby Mon 19-Jun-17 12:00:32

I took your comment to be in support of the police too charleygirl. They wouldn't be so stretched if the cuts hadn't been made. Fact.

Charleygirl Mon 19-Jun-17 12:03:58

Thank you grannygranby. I did not state that they should be on every street corner. Those employed are very overstretched because of the 4 recent attacks.

Maralyn7272 Mon 19-Jun-17 12:04:02

What do these extremists want from us? If we only knew then maybe we could find some way for us all to get along in harmony. There has to be something lacking in their lives to make them behave in this way. Let's try to put the Great back into Great Britain, I'm fed up with all the hatred and bloodshed.

Anniebach Mon 19-Jun-17 12:05:54

Were there ever enough police to stand outside every meeting place, on every bridge? How come we had the 2005 tube bombing?

Anya Mon 19-Jun-17 12:09:34

Napoleon in what way do you think England is no longer English?

Ruth1958 Mon 19-Jun-17 12:15:42

My goodness...media ranting, celebs ogling and the country just hysterical....bring out the candles, get Lily Allen in and Brooklyn Beckham to run the country! What does the govt. of this country, or indeed the former Blair gov expect was going to happen when they naively thought all these different cultures with different principles and agendas were going to do? We humans are tribal...one tribe will always want to dominate. I'm afraid the 'God' liberalism and secularism are in for a great shock. evil people exist, doesn't matter where they are from. But unfortunately, as with Brexit, if people in a country feel they are not listened to, the government will not be controlling the violence the tinder box will explode. We all know this is only going to get worse. I think free speech is still permitted, though I fear the thought police will be out in force! Sad, sad UK.

Ruth1958 Mon 19-Jun-17 12:17:19

I think you know the answer to that one...trying to be clever looks silly!

Lillie Mon 19-Jun-17 12:17:36

^ I did not state that they should be on every street corner. Those employed are very overstretched because of the 4 recent attacks.^

*Charleygirl, you have explained what you meant and I have now understood. I'm guessing your mention of Boris, and cuts, was what made several posters, myself included, think "not another NEWS thread turned into a political debate." That was not my intention at 5.30 am when this attack was announced.

Hm999 Mon 19-Jun-17 12:18:23

Imo a racist attack is a hate crime, and this deliberately targeted one religious group. Other terrorist attacks have targetted the general public, anyone who was there, and were generally made by people who'd attended terrorist camp.

Why this lack of tolerance? Think Brexit and Trump, even GE2017. These made overt racist comments acceptable. Successive governments and the media targeting the vulnerable have added to our intolerant society.

And thank goodness for our public services

Ruth1958 Mon 19-Jun-17 12:18:43

If they are indeed a tiny percentage...then the MAJORITY need to speak up!

Ruth1958 Mon 19-Jun-17 12:20:36

Here! Here! Well said....not even the Church of England will speak up for England...what hope if the indigenous people don't?

Ruth1958 Mon 19-Jun-17 12:23:38

Democracy is dying because of the BBC and press propaganda machine....the nation has just got more and more brainwashed!

Riverwalk Mon 19-Jun-17 12:34:30

My goodness...media ranting, celebs ogling and the country just hysterical....bring out the candles, get Lily Allen in and Brooklyn Beckham to run the country

Ruth you seem to be a bit confused between two entirely different events. confused

Chrishappy Mon 19-Jun-17 12:38:40

The point of more police I believe is relevant to the conversation. More police on the beat in neighbourhoods can gather much more information of suspicious behaviour before attacks are carried out. My DIL is a police officer and I know the police are stretched to the limit. She hardly ever gets a break even to eat! She is often held behind by a couple of hours after her 10 hr shift is over as they are short staffed. So yes more community policing could help prevent these attacks

Riverwalk Mon 19-Jun-17 12:39:21

Here! Here! hmm

The far-right ranters never get it quite right! grin