Gransnet forums

News & politics

Brexit: On a scale of 1 to 10, where do you stand?

(349 Posts)
Bagatelle Wed 21-Jun-17 20:26:38

Given that the result of the EU referendum was hardly a landslide, I can't see that a 'hard Brexit' was ever justified.

Leave: 37.5%
Remain: 34.7%
Neutral/confused/apathetic: 27.8%

On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 as stay as we were and 10 as leave the EU as far behind as possible,
- where did you stand when you voted (if you did) and
- have your thoughts changed since?

durhamjen Tue 25-Jul-17 23:44:15

"Does it work? On Monday the Adam Smith Institute published a report that claims there’s nothing to worry about: if chlorine immersion wasn’t effective, “one would expect foodborne illnesses carried by chicken to be much more prevalent” in North America. But it says that figures from the World Health Organisation reveal that salmonella and campylobacter infections there are “not out of line” with rates in the European Union.

I checked the source: the WHO study the Adam Smith Institute cited. While the incidence of campylobacter is similar, it shows that the burdens of infection per head of population from the two species of salmonella it analyses – Salmonella typhi and Salmonella paratyphi – are, respectively, four times and five times higher in North America than in Europe. I cannot state that this is caused by chlorinated chicken, as the WHO doesn’t provide such detail. But I can state that the Adam Smith Institute’s claim is false."

From the same article.

Jalima1108 Tue 25-Jul-17 23:48:34

I can't see how dipping it in a chlorine bath can get rid of something which is probably throughout the chicken; only thorough cooking can kill it.

durhamjen Wed 26-Jul-17 00:03:31

It doesn't. That's why the US has far more incidences of salmonella than the EU.
Did you see Fox on News24? Emily Maitlis was getting really annoyed with his evasive answers.

Welshwife Wed 26-Jul-17 00:15:37

I saw some of it Jen.

I find filtering the tap water does get rid of a lot of the smell and for me it gets rid of a lot of lime and stops the kettle furring up so much.

suzied Wed 26-Jul-17 02:52:33

The will of the people is that food and animal welfare standards should be lowered and this government will implement it. We don't need all that labelling information either. Boris Johnson said so.

Welshwife Wed 26-Jul-17 07:52:35

Oh Lordy! - I am one of those people who actually READ those labels before buying the goods! I NEVER buy fish raised in places like Vietnam or China particularly from fish farms.

The labelling of UK bred food will be so important - and we should get right away from the labelling which allows British labels to go on food which has only had one process in UK done to the food when it was imported meat etc.

whitewave Wed 26-Jul-17 08:03:07

I read that about the "Adam Institute" dj more Brexit lies, by supporters.

Jalima1108 Wed 26-Jul-17 10:37:31

Me too Welshwife although I have been caught out a couple of times and DH has said 'I thought you always stood around for ages gazing looking at the labels.

durhamjen Wed 26-Jul-17 10:42:02

So who is in charge of chlorinated chicken?

www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2017/jul/26/gove-says-chlorinated-chicken-would-be-banned-under-any-uk-us-trade-deal-politics-live

If this is true, why couldn't Fox say so yesterday?
He's too foxy for his own good.

durhamjen Thu 27-Jul-17 10:13:51

www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2017-03-01/after-brexit-who-will-feed-all-these-chickens

Stories of our own home-grown chickens. When the Polish workers go back - and some of them have already - who will look after the chickens?

durhamjen Thu 27-Jul-17 10:14:58

By the way, Bloomberg is following a lot of migrant stories for Brexit, all worth reading.

James2451 Thu 27-Jul-17 20:20:57

I wish I could change my vote, I believe I was deceived by the Leave campaign and Cameron failed to give us all the facts. Now I have a clearer picture of the effects of Brexit I would certainly change my vote to remain.

I am also disgusted at the behaviour of the Brexit gang at Number 10

durhamjen Thu 27-Jul-17 20:28:04

Sign up to anything and everything you can find that asks for a vote when negotiations are over.
Write to your MP asking for him/her to sign any EDMs to that effect.

varian Thu 27-Jul-17 20:34:30

Good advice dj but the problem is that some of us are lumbered with a brexiteer Tory MP. Ours is quite polite and acknowledges messages but I don't think he actually pays any attention.

durhamjen Thu 27-Jul-17 20:39:09

Good to flood him with emails and letters in that case.
I know I live in a good area with a decent MP who will respond by answering properly. If you don't do it, how will they know what their constituents think?

Jalima1108 Thu 27-Jul-17 20:41:07

varian Our MP is very good and answers all queries promptly and fully but was a Brexit campaigner.

durhamjen Fri 28-Jul-17 13:16:31

www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/28/britain-should-fight-for-second-brexit-referendum-malta-pm

durhamjen Fri 28-Jul-17 13:21:46

"The Maltese prime minister, a former MEP who studied for a doctorate in the UK, said he did not believe London had stinted on its preparations. “People who say the Brits don’t know what they are doing are wrong,” he said. “I have lived in Britain, I know the British mentality. A non-prepared British government official simply doesn’t exist.

“The problem isn’t that London is prepared badly, but that the EU is prepared extremely well. That much became clear when Michael Barnier asked me, ‘Do you know how many cats and dogs travel from Dover to Calais every year? Do you know what’s to be done with the animal passport?’ Such detail! That’s when I knew: the EU is excellently prepared.”

Muscat, who won re-election in June, campaigned against his country joining the EU in 2003 over fears of job losses. He told the Dutch newspaper his time as an MEP changed his mind and made him “critical but not anti-European”. "

varian Fri 28-Jul-17 13:50:05

That's interesting. The second person mentioned here to have chaged his mind. People who are willing to admit that are to be admired.

MaizieD Fri 28-Jul-17 14:26:00

A non-prepared British government official simply doesn’t exist.

That's as maybe but aren't a number of civil servants saying that their advice isn't being listened to and they're not getting a clear steer on what the government wants to achieve?

durhamjen Fri 28-Jul-17 14:27:52

Yes, Maizie. They are probably pleased that parliament is in recess so they can get on with their jobs!

durhamjen Mon 31-Jul-17 11:22:01

"According to the European Parliament’s Code of Conduct for Members, each MEP who receives additional income must provide a detailed declaration of financial interests.

That’s how we - the public - can know who pays the politicians we elect to represent our interests, how much, and for what kind of service. The obligatory declarations are an important mechanism to control potential conflicts of interest, and a way for us to keep our politicians in check. They are not to be shrugged off or ignored!

Most MEPs understand that – only three of 751 members have failed to report their income on time. One of them is Nigel Farage, the self-proclaimed critic of the EU’s lack of transparency. Doesn’t it make you wonder, what’s hiding under the his “additional income in excess of 10,000 euro per month”? How much exactly does he earn, and doing what? So let’s ask – join our campaign and call on Farage to tell us where his money comes from!"

This is by wemove.EU who are asking Farage to declare his additional income, as just about every other MEP has done.

GracesGranMK2 Mon 31-Jul-17 14:17:54

I was about a 3 on the day and am now I am a 1 but I fear we have lost friends and allies.

I did get very fed up with those who kept suggesting that this was what we voted (out) so that is what has to happen as it seemed that they believed democracy had stopped the day of the referendum. I am now beginning to believe we will find a compromise but worry it will be an out compromise rather than an in compromise. Oh, and I utterly and entirely blame the Tories for the mess we are in. I have said it before but I will say it again - I hope they are never forgiven.