Gransnet forums

News & politics

London Fire -2

(897 Posts)
Rigby46 Thu 22-Jun-17 00:37:58

Chief Executive has resigned - SJ told him to go he says. Good. Now let's see the leader do the honourable thing.

stillaliveandkicking Thu 22-Jun-17 01:09:15

Totally inappropriate post at this present time but then again, I don't expect any less.

daphnedill Thu 22-Jun-17 01:25:28

Why is it inappropriate? It's just keeping people up-to-date.

stillaliveandkicking Thu 22-Jun-17 01:29:14

if your say so daf.

stillaliveandkicking Thu 22-Jun-17 01:53:10

*you. Before the OP starts jumping on "corrections"

WilmaKnickersfit Thu 22-Jun-17 02:15:45

I know he's offered to resign, but it can only be a matter of time before Nicholas Paget-Brown will be asked to step down.

The irony is K&C is probably a model example of what the Tories want a local authority.

WilmaKnickersfit Thu 22-Jun-17 02:21:38

Robert Black, CEO of KCTMO too.

Rigby46 Thu 22-Jun-17 06:45:03

its also coming out now that the residents only found out about the 68 flats from the media - why is communication so poor?

Lillie Thu 22-Jun-17 06:50:26

Re the new flats, if many of the Grenfell Tower flats were being sub-let, who is entitled to live in the new places? The owner of a the GT flat or the poor victims who lived through the disaster? Surely it will be the name of the owner that is on the paperwork.

Welshwife Thu 22-Jun-17 07:03:58

I heard on the radio this morning that some of that cladding gave off cyanide gas when burning and that some of those in hospital are being given an antidote. If that report is true, and it was a BBC report - what were they thinking to allow that?

Rigby46 Thu 22-Jun-17 07:04:35

Well - if someone is subletting ( no idea how many that applies to) they must already be living elsewhere so clearly the resident one would think. But clearly allocating the 68 will need a lot of organisation on many levels

Riverwalk Thu 22-Jun-17 07:19:06

Indeed it will Rigby. It's illegal to sub-let a council property, plus I assume some flats were privately-owned and legally rented out.

gillybob Thu 22-Jun-17 07:24:00

Plenty do it though River it's very hard to police.

gillybob Thu 22-Jun-17 07:26:42

Very awkward situation if you owned one of those flats, I wonder where you would stand? I suppose it depends whether you were an owner occupier or an owner who rented to a third party? I do hope everyone manages to get suitably housed before the winter. Poor people.

GracesGranMK2 Thu 22-Jun-17 07:31:45

Thank you for starting a new thread Rigby. There is much still to come out about all this and the resignation is headlines on the news this morning. WMk I am not sure I would call it an 'offer' to resign - it sounds more like he was forcedhmm. I'm never sure about that until there has been a proper enquiry but we shall see who else's head Sajid Javid requires.

gillybob Thu 22-Jun-17 07:46:23

It's still not fair to go pointing the finger of blame on individuals until we know for sure who/ what caused the fire to spread as it did.

When a local authority awards a contract it normally does so after a long period of consultation/tendering/submitting quotes and a huge paper trail. Take for example the recent extensive modernization of my dads local authority bungalow. The local authority had a pot of money, they tendered for a main contractor. Eventually (years later) the contractor was appointed and they then awarded contracts in their own right to various other trusted and experienced suppliers and contractors. Kitchens, central heating, plumbing, bathrooms, decorating, flooring etc.

Now just suppose..... The central heating blew up (heaven forbid) and it turned out that the wrong pipes had been used (or whatever example you choose) then the person/company with whom the blame should lie would be the central heating contractor, not the local authority (who cannot be an expert on everything).

If, it turns out (and it's still very early days) that a faulty or incorrect material was used to clad these flats then the person or company taken to task should be the contractor responsible for that. How can it be the fault of the LA or indeed Teresa May (as some suggest) ?

GracesGranMK2 Thu 22-Jun-17 07:52:17

Totally inappropriate post at this present time but then again, I don't expect any less.^

I really do find this post gfery. An opinion not backed by fact is a prejudice and that is all the poster is showing. It also appears to be an attempt to goad the OP which is clarified in the subsequent post:

*you. Before the OP starts jumping on "corrections"

The 'OP' had said nothing. To me this sounds like bad tempered bullying. The facts on which the thread was started are:

*It was a continuation of a completed thread. The first thread had been extremely busy so was obviously something many Gnetters wanted.

*The comment refered to news which has been all over the media and social media. I can see no explanation as to why the poster thinks GN should not be discussing this.

Gfery is bullying in an attempt to either stop or disrupt a thread. I really wish posters would stop their games as others wish to discuss this and other important current events - and personally I would rather do it in peace. We have already been through this on another thread and all it leads to is the gfering poster annoying others until someone is in trouble with GN. No one deserves that just so one poster can flex their temper and play goading games with the rest of us.

ninathenana Thu 22-Jun-17 08:00:55

Gfery ?? Sorry am I being thick ?

GracesGranMK2 Thu 22-Jun-17 08:00:56

I agree Gillybob. I really hate this idea of those lower down the pecking order taking the fall before we have all the knowledge.

Daddima Thu 22-Jun-17 08:01:49

What I can't understand is why the number of deaths is being reported as 79, 5 having been identified, and 74 listed as " missing". Does this mean nobody knows exactly how many people lived in the building and who they were? With over 200 bedrooms in the flats, surely there are many more unaccounted for?

whitewave Thu 22-Jun-17 08:04:20

Various persons/institutions will undoubtedly be found culpable for differing reasons.

So the government has already decided that the first response by the council was non-existent. The first resignations are happening and there will be more.

Later we shall find out other information and culpability.

whitewave Thu 22-Jun-17 08:06:12

Almost certainly there are no bodies to be found because of the temperature reached.

gillybob Thu 22-Jun-17 08:11:04

I dislike the idea of anyone being blamed until there are proven facts . Nothing to do with a "pecking order" .

Morgana Thu 22-Jun-17 08:15:17

I don't think they have a clue how many were in the building. Logically you would not know exactly would they and the whole thing seems to have been so badly managed that they probably don't even know how many were supposed to be living there. There were probably hundreds killed but they are dribbling out the figures hoping the whole thing will disappear off the news by the time there is a final tally. P.S. can we just ignore posters who r obviously just trying to stir things?

whitewave Thu 22-Jun-17 08:16:01

gilly I think that you can be confident that the recent resignations are the correct call.